Home Precious Metals

1964 values.

Source

Eggs cost 54 cents/dozen. That same 2 silver quarters would buy you 4 dozen eggs today!

Gas was 30 cents/ gallon. Those same 3 dimes buy you a gallon today!

2 postage stamps were a dime. That same dime buys you 2 today!

Milk was about a buck. You can buy 4 gallons of that same milk today with that same money from 1964!

New home cost $20,000. At a 1964 gold price of $35/oz, the 571 gold 1 ounce coins could buy a VERY nice house today.

If these examples dont convey the FRAUD that the United States Treasury imposes on us, better known as inflation, then I dont know what will!

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I was born in that time and hoarded up all the change.............
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I was born in 1961. In 1978 sold my entire collection for 90% silver. I pretty sure many did the same around then.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gecko109---So, what were wages like in 1964. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>gecko109---So, what were wages like in 1964. image >>

The minimum wage in 1964 was $1.25 per hour
  • I found a 1925 dime the other night...im gonna buy eggs image
  • How much would my 60" TV and 1.5 Terabyte computer cost in 1964?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • I think it shows how bad production agriculture is
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Summer of 1963, as I was 12 going on 13, I delivered the Detroit Shopping News. It was an advertising paper that came out twice a week, on Wednesdays and Sundays. I delivered 270 of them each time, for $1 per delivery.

I spent this fabulous wealth up at the shiny new "Red and White" style McDonalds on the route, where the only seating were tile benches built into the ouside sides of the building. Hamburgers were 15 cents, cheesburgers 19 cents. Fries and a small Coke were 10 cents each. Sales tax on 39 cents was 2 cents. I think the shakes were 20 cents, but I never spent that much.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1964 I watched Mom and Dad going to the bank
    and buying rolls and rolls of silver quarters.
    My Mom handed me one and said "keep this, it will
    be worth something"image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

• << <i>Source

Eggs cost 54 cents/dozen. That same 2 silver quarters would buy you 4 dozen eggs today!

Gas was 30 cents/ gallon. Those same 3 dimes buy you a gallon today!

2 postage stamps were a dime. That same dime buys you 2 today!

Milk was about a buck. You can buy 4 gallons of that same milk today with that same money from 1964!

New home cost $20,000. At a 1964 gold price of $35/oz, the 571 gold 1 ounce coins could buy a VERY nice house today.

If these examples dont convey the FRAUD that the United States Treasury imposes on us, better known as inflation, then I dont know what will! >>

I think it conveys relative price stability. The one variable you leave out (perhaps the most important one) is the corresponding increases in per capita income.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When DC Comicbooks increased their price from $0.10 to $0.12 in 1962 or 1963, it just about killed my budget!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember in the Fall of 1960 (they were paving our street that year, and Tim across the street carved his initials and the date in the wet cement) when the corner store raised a 16-ounce Pepsi from 10 cents plus 2 cents deposit to 11 cents. All of a sudden you couldn't get two of them for a quarter anymore.

Oddly enough, I remember asking the guy behind the counter why they had gone up, and he said it was because the U.S. was embargoing Cuba now, and the price of sugar had gone up.

Sigh. Ever get the Pepsi made in Mexico with real sugar rather than that dang corn syrup? Finest kind!

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember in the Fall of 1960 (they were paving our street that year, and Tim across the street carved his initials and the date in the wet cement) when the corner store raised a 16-ounce Pepsi from 10 cents plus 2 cents deposit to 11 cents. All of a sudden you couldn't get two of them for a quarter anymore.

Oddly enough, I remember asking the guy behind the counter why they had gone up, and he said it was because the U.S. was embargoing Cuba now, and the price of sugar had gone up.

Sigh. Ever get the Pepsi made in Mexico with real sugar rather than that dang corn syrup? Finest kind!

TD >>

yes.. i do goto the asian markets to get bottled soda with real sugar.
    they sell them.. the ones made in mexico.
    also polar soda company makes an old time bottled soda.

funny you mention that stuff.. i enjoy sugar over corn syrup!
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to just drink water and any money I would have spent on soda goes to buy 90% image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I prefer to just drink water and any money I would have spent on soda goes to buy 90% image >>

You're probably more healthy because of it. When they start taxing sodas more people will be joining you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I though that min wage in 1964 was $0.95 per hour increased to the $1.25 in 1966?

Not sure but I was working then
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Its clear some of you have really missed the point! Allow me to clarify.

The year is 1965 now. You have 6 dimes, 3 are new 1965 dimes, and 3 are from the year previous. Both sets of dimes have exactly the same purchasing power at the moment. Your dad asked for 30 cents to buy a gallon of gas, so you gave him the "old" dimes, and he bought the gas. You then threw the other 3 dimes in a shoebox and forgot about them.

The year is now 2009. You are cleaning out the basement and find that old shoebox. In it are 3 dimes from 1965. You remember the day you gave your father the other 3 dimes to buy gas. Now YOU want gas, so you take those 3 dimes to the gas station to buy 1/10th of a gallon. You quickly realize that had you given your dad these 3 dimes and kept the other 3, you too could buy a gallon of gas with the same money your father did 44 years ago!

Therein lies the scam folks. We USED to be paid in "real" money, but somewhere along the line, we rolled over and let the gov nail us by allowing them to pay us in "tokens". Its the biggest shell game the world has ever known!
  • You couldn't legally own gold for 10 more years there Gecko. Not in 1964.

While I agree the FED is an issue and should be reigned in and dealt with, we have a lot bigger issues, such as our current government following in California's footsteps in many unsustainable ways.

• << <i>I though that min wage in 1964 was $0.95 per hour increased to the $1.25 in 1966?

Not sure but I was working then >>

I worked for tips in '64, then wages in '65, I seem to remember making $1.30 something, five dollars in your pocket and the world was yours!!image

• << <i>You couldn't legally own gold for 10 more years there Gecko. Not in 1964.

While I agree the FED is an issue and should be reigned in and dealt with, we have a lot bigger issues, such as our current government following in California's footsteps in many unsustainable ways. >>

You could certainly own Saints and Libs in 1964!

• << <i>

<< <i>You couldn't legally own gold for 10 more years there Gecko. Not in 1964.

While I agree the FED is an issue and should be reigned in and dealt with, we have a lot bigger issues, such as our current government following in California's footsteps in many unsustainable ways. >>

You could certainly own Saints and Libs in 1964! >>

Agreed, numismatic gold. I bet it would take a while to dig up someone who paid in those in 1964. image
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I thought your point was those 1964 90% dimes today=$3.30. 3 dimes 3 X's 11 face = $3.30 more than a gallon of current gas( Not last years)!

Thus with inflation we have same or more buying power. We certainly get more MPG from our cars.

I thought the Federal Reserve was the banks - bank. The Treasury & Congress would be the ones to mandate a coins metal content.

Your threads lately have been on dimes so I don't want to stray!
    Avid collector of GSA's.