Home Precious Metals
Options

Palladium over $300.

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lure of palladium is getting stronger............

Nice bars, Weiss!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Palladium strictly an industrial metal or is it ever used in jewelry?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Wish it stayed lower for a while. I was able to pick some up around $240/oz image

Pd is used in Jewelery and many other things.

Palladium Uses
    Autocatalysts
    Softer than platinum, ductile and resistant to oxidation and high temperature corrosion, palladium is useful in eliminating harmful emissions produced by internal combustion engines. Autocatalysts are by far the largest user of palladium; autocatalysts convert over 90 percent of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen produced in the exhaust from gasoline engines into carbon dioxide, nitrogen and water vapor. More about autocatalysts.

Electronics
    Palladium has a number of electronic applications. For example, palladium’s chemical stability and electrical conductivity make it an effective and durable alternative to gold for plating in electronic components. More about electronic uses.

Dentistry
    Palladium-based alloys are used in dentistry for dental crowns and bridges. And palladium metal is also compatible with human tissue and is used, in a radioactive form, in the medical industry for the treatment of cancer. More about dental uses.

Jewelry
    Palladium is lighter than platinum having about the same density as silver, thus, palladium is a jewelry metal as well. Palladium in jewelry is primarily used as an alloy with platinum to optimize platinum’s working characteristics and wear properties. Palladium is also used as an alloy in producing white gold. More about jewelry uses.

Chemical
    Palladium is an important part of the refining of nitric acid, and has important uses in developing raw materials for synthetic rubber and nylon. More about chemical uses.

Fuel Cells
    Palladium-based alloys are actively being researched for applications in fuel cell technology, an area of future promise for the metal. More about fuel cell uses.

Coinage
    Palladium is an attractive metal for coinage purposes. Northwest Territorial Mint is actively minting both bullion coins for the bullion market, as well as custom coins from this attractive and precious metal. More about coinage uses.

Oil Refining
    Palladium and other PGM metals serve important functions in catalytic reactions that are used in various stages in the refining of petroleum. More about petroleum refining.

Polyester
    Palladium is a critical catalyst in the manufacture of polyester. Read a first hand account about the development of that critical step.

Photography
    Palladium and platinum are both used in an historic photographic printing process that many consider superior to conventional silver in tonal quality and archival longevity. More about palladium printing.

Water Treatment
    Palladium is a unique and important catalyst being studied for use in removing a number of toxic and carcinogenic substances from groundwater. More about water treatment.

Hydrogen Purification
    Palladium’s ability to absorb and desorb hydrogen depending on circumstances allows it to be an effective material to filter hydrogen from other gasses resulting in an ultra pure hydrogen gas. Find out more.

Medicine
    Palladium-103, a radioactive isotope of palladium, is seeing promissing applications in the treatement of prostate cancer. A newly emerging added area of research is potential use in the treatment of breast cancer. Find out more.

Its all relative
  • Options
    Cars---Thanks. I never realized that Palladium was such a useful metal.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    never knew it had that many uses..........only thing that doesn't make it as popular is that it isn't well known to the public like silver and gold are. Go ask someone on the street about palladium and they will probably say "whats that"? That right there hurts it when selling
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>never knew it had that many uses..........only thing that doesn't make it as popular is that it isn't well known to the public like silver and gold are. Go ask someone on the street about palladium and they will probably say "whats that"? That right there hurts it when selling >>

Very true. If the US Mint comes out with a palladium set in 2010? That could create some interest.
  • Options

<< <i>Go ask someone on the street about palladium and they will probably say "whats that"? That right there hurts it when selling >>

That's why you should be selling your PM's to a dealer rather than to someone on the street.image

• Options
    If you look in any chemistry textbook, every reaction that requires a catalyst in order to lower the threshold energy in order for the reaction to occur has Pt/Pd as part of the equilibrium equation.

Platinum is one tough metal and resists electrolytic decomposition as well as corrosion. I am guessing that Palladium is similar although not quite as tough.

Both metals will always have a number of important uses.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Still a buy IMO
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options

<< <i>Still a buy IMO >>

I agree, if the economy can stage a recovery or if investors start including the PGM's for diversification then the PGM's will take off along with Silver.
    In 2001 Palladium hit $1,100 an oz. at that time it was twice as high as Platinum and roughly three times higher than Gold so it is possible for Palladium to take off again. Of course fuel cell technology along with the possible development of cold fusion hold enormous possibilties for Palladium but there are also numerous other uses for it as was pointed out.
    The other wild card is the possibilty that the huge Russian stockpile is finally depleted, if so then this will remove the source of surplus Palladium from the market creating a potential shortfall in the market.
    One other thing I forgot about was the launch of Platinum and Palladium ETF's overseas, if these take off like the Gold and Silver ETF's and the funds actually hold physical metal rather than paper then much of the worlds supply would go into these funds and since the PGM's are so rare it wouldn't take much buying to push the price significantely higher.
  • Options
    Weiss, you posted those 5 oz a few weeks ago and my mouth started watering. I just pulled the trigger on 5 oz's today (I couldn't hold my finger back). I had a 100$ ebay coupon. Coupled with the 8% live.com the purchase made it worth it. Plus ebay has made me a VIP member for whatever reason, so they're given me double the ebay bucks for a couple of days.

Can't wait till they get here!!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Weiss, you posted those 5 oz a few weeks ago and my mouth started watering. I just pulled the trigger on 5 oz's today (I couldn't hold my finger back). I had a 100$ ebay coupon. Coupled with the 8% live.com the purchase made it worth it. Plus ebay has made me a VIP member for whatever reason, so they're given me double the ebay bucks for a couple of days.

Can't wait till they get here!!!!! image >>

Yeah!! image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I think Palladium still has a way to go. It's still far below it's all time highs, unlike gold.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    pulled the trigger on 4 ounces below spot after bing on the bay... comes out to about $340 per ounce shipped. Very bullish on palladium at these price levels. Going forward I believe it should trade at a 1:2 ratio with platinum at least, given the russian stockpiles that have supplemented the supplies all these years are now depleted.

Who knows I might have bought them from the OP.. the serial numbers are quite close to these, around the 69520 area. My buying tends to occur at the highs, so watch out! image
  • Options
    Not from my set--but I got mine from Gainesville, so they probably all came from the same main source at the same time.

Every time I see those kilo prices I kick myself for not picking up more.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Go ask someone on the street about palladium and they will probably say "whats that"? That right there hurts it when selling >>

That's why you should be selling your PM's to a dealer rather than to someone on the street.image >>

I've bought and sold palladium numerous times with my local B&M, I've never gotten less than spot.
  • Options

<< <i>pulled the trigger on 4 ounces below spot after bing on the bay... comes out to about $340 per ounce shipped. Very bullish on palladium at these price levels. Going forward I believe it should trade at a 1:2 ratio with platinum at least, given the russian stockpiles that have supplemented the supplies all these years are now depleted.

Who knows I might have bought them from the OP.. the serial numbers are quite close to these, around the 69520 area. My buying tends to occur at the highs, so watch out! image >>

I hope you're right, I still kick myself for not selling a bunch of my stash last year when it ran to nearly $600 an oz.image
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>pulled the trigger on 4 ounces below spot after bing on the bay... comes out to about $340 per ounce shipped. Very bullish on palladium at these price levels. Going forward I believe it should trade at a 1:2 ratio with platinum at least, given the russian stockpiles that have supplemented the supplies all these years are now depleted.

Who knows I might have bought them from the OP.. the serial numbers are quite close to these, around the 69520 area. My buying tends to occur at the highs, so watch out! image >>

I hope you're right, I still kick myself for not selling a bunch of my stash last year when it ran to nearly $600 an oz.image >>

I know how you feel.

I too didn't sell my palladium.

Goes to show you "bulls and bears make money while pigs get slaughtered".
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>...given the russian stockpiles that have supplemented the supplies all these years are now depleted. >>

Do you have an article or a source for this? Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...given the russian stockpiles that have supplemented the supplies all these years are now depleted. >>

Do you have an article or a source for this? Thanks! >>

I've read a few articles staing this mostly on the yahoo finance page where you get stock quotes and articles relating to stocks, I think I saw some when looking at either SWC or PAL.
    Personally I'm not so sure that the Russian stockpile is depleted but i do think it has shrunk considerably to the point that maybe the Russians want to hold some back especially considering the dollars slide.
  • Options
    Just a bump 'cause Palladium just hit $470!
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad....50% jump in less than 5 month. Time to take "some of the books." ( my average cost is around $220 )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Another 30%+ jump from it's recent low near $400 in 2010..talk about volatility, this PM got it. image
  • Options
    I was just looking at the palladium chart. I wonder if it will ever make another run at platinum? Nah, prolly not.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SELL!

tied very tightly to the economy/stock market

These numbers are a gift from the metal gods
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options

<< <i>SELL!

These numbers are a gift from the metal gods >>

Agree, been selling some at these levels...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>SELL!

Agree, been selling some at these levels... >>

Funny, you must have known I was thinking of buying a little until I read this...so now what does that mean?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>SELL!

Agree, been selling some at these levels... >>

Funny, you must have known I was thinking of buying a little until I read this...so now what does that mean? >>

You may have to hold on to them longer than I did in order to obtain a 100%+ profit, that would be my guess.image
  • Options
    Sold mine at $480, and was very very happy