Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

So...what are your other hobbies?

Just wondering how similar we all are. When I'm not collecting coins, I'm restoring old VWs, doing astronomy or being a soccer Dad. You?
Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

collecting modern Vacheron Constantin and IWC watches, and pistol shooting (mostly .45 ACP).

My favorite hobby however, is playing with my two pre-school daughters. Tons of energy, and keeps me young(ish).

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I do a lot of shooting, IDPA, a little three gun, F class rifles, also do a bit of woodworking, play a lot of golf. And I often think about how nice it is to have both the girls finished with college and out making their own way in the world.image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect 1/64 NASCAR diecast as my #1 hobby, NASCAR trading cards #2, then coins and currency, followed by Model Cars, DC Comics, Stars Wars, reading (History and NASCAR books) message boards (I am on 15 of them daily), DC and Star Wars action figures, bird watching, photography...creating my website (see sigline)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Where's George?, Geocaching, prospecting.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    primarily golf and working out at gym ........ but i do enjoy fishing & hunting from time to time. The only thing I collect is coins !!
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Plinking with my GLOCKs, CZ P-01 and Vz-58. Rotating wrist time among my Casio Solar/Atomic G-Shocks, Pathfinders and I-Ranges. Listening to contemporary jazz, classic rock and reggae. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Antiquarian Book Restoration >>

Interesting, can you tell us more? Do you do full rebinding?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I tend to go into the world of philosophy. Other than that, learning about new discoveries, be it ancient history or scientific breakthroughs.

stainless
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting OT query. I love rocks, though I have little room to indulge. I do not know what came first in my life, coins or rocks, but I remember collecting both as a very little kid, becoming relatively more sophisticated as I grew older. I particularly like amethysts and blue john fluorite, though the latter is not easy to come by, outside of England.

Where's George? Very cool, Nighthawk! I love finding those bills, though they are few and far between. Usually, they have not gone long distances, but earlier this week, I came across one that traveled about 150 miles from Rhode Island, since December.

I am fascinated by astronomy, but never got as much into it as my brother. He lives in LA, so in order to best indulge himself, he has to take trips into the desert or sometimes, overseas.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Bowling, Video Game FPS, and motorcycle riding.
  • Options

<< <i>I enjoy Bowling, Video Game FPS, and motorcycle riding. >>

I forgot bowling (though I don't know how). What is your average? mine is around a 185

stainless
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Beer.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Where's George? Very cool, Nighthawk! I love finding those bills, though they are few and far between. Usually, they have not gone long distances, but earlier this week, I came across one that traveled about 150 miles from Rhode Island, since December.
    q]

Thanks. I have friends who work retail save any marked bill's they find, so far they've found over 1500 bill's from all over the country.
    I've had my bill's turn up on every continent (including antarctica), I've got most of westeren Europe and Aisia. image

I've been doing it for a little over 7 years and I've entered over 125,000 bill's.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    There are other hobbies out there?

I did start collecting antiquities, and collecting monarchs autographs but they came to a stop as it collecting them was eating into my coin fund.

I do like sports in general. I used to work out at the gym, play badminton, go swimming, play golf etc. but I don't have as much spare time on my hands at the moment. No doubt I will do more sports when I do find the time.

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Scuba diving, swimming, shooting (but not in the last 12 years or so) (pistol mostly .22, 9mm, .45 ACP), photography, building stuff in my garage, reading (enjoying N. Hawthorne just now), video games (Simpson's Hit and Run Best game ever, waiting for Half Life Epsiode 3, Enjoyed Far Cry, Fear, Far Cry 2, Oblivion Elder Scrolls, Deux Ex and No Won Lives Forever tied for second place in Best Game Ever competion).

Playing dad to a soon to be 4-year old is pretty fun too.

Not enough time in the day.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm a pack rat and a generalist, pretty much everything I have time and money for image

One new thing, I'm looking into working on a private pilots license here soon if I have time.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beer Steins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    this is a great question, i stumbled on this thread my accident, i am usually found in the card section, i love to collected old books and i have a great signed sci-fi book collection. and some great signed records.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suspect that many coin enthusiasts are also into history.

My interest in Roman and Mexican coins has caused me to read many books
    on the history of those areas.

I also do a lot of hiking and used to be involved in mountaineering.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Antiquarian Book Restoration >>

Interesting, can you tell us more? Do you do full rebinding? >>

Sorry for the late response. I'll "subscribe" to the thread this time.

Yes, I prefer to do full leather Cambridge Style (late 17th through mid 18th century) bindings.

Since it is very labor intensive, I usually look for books that are internally clean, with practically destroyed bindings, so that I can get the book cheap and sell the final product for a whole lot more.

For example, I purchased a 1599 Geneva Bible for $600, fully restored in an authentic antiquarian binding, then resold it for $2,005 on ebay. I would have been happy with $1,200 though. Even so $2,000 was a fair market price, so the buyer didn't get ripped off.

Though my bindings are entirely authentic, and with a little intentional scuffing (which I won't do) could pass for original, I have ALWAYS clearly described the recent nature of the binding.

Daniel Defoe's "Secrets of the Invisible World Disclosed", published under his pseudonym "Andrew Moreton, Esq.", subtitled "Universal History of Apparitions", 1738 Third Edition.

Oversaturated Scan of the Spine, Front and Back Covers

Interior Scan
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I confess to being a pack-rat, or junk collector. Besides the addiction I've had to all things numismatic since the tender age of 5, I've also dabbled in collections of other types, such as license plates, Matchbox type cars (now have 1500, been collecting since I was 11), silver art bars (see the precious metals forum for threads), coin books, Asterix comic books (in German, from 25 years ago when I was over there, and French, English and now Polish - they are a blast), old glass pop bottles (collection was stolen in a move in 1980 image ), some posters, car parts, cars, and other stuff I can't think of off-hand. Besides that, I have other hobbies including reading and learning about most things. Here are a few cars I have now:

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

Antique college and university mug and steins (frats, too):

Odd and unusual, but genuine,diplomas:

Antique Phoenix Bird China (from Japan, really):

Original prints and posters of David Lance Goines and some of his predecessors, like Charles Rennie Mackintosh:

Handcrafted ales, particularly of thh India Pale persuasion.

Oops...almost forgot my music, blues and folk:

imageimage

Best to all ~
    Tom

TextTextTextTextTextText
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Original prints and posters of David Lance Goines and some of his predecessors, like Charles Rennie Mackintosh:

image >>

Nice! We collect Arts & Crafts furniture, artwork, metalwork, pottery, etc. Fits in well with Goines!
    Roycroft, Limbert, Stickley (L&JG, Gus):

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Please forgive me for resurrecting this thread in order to honor my dear friend, Donald Beswick, who with an abundance of charity and generosity freely taught me the art of antiquarian book restoration and binding. After he had performed a superb job restoring a 1741 edition of Pilgrim's Progress for me, I asked him, "Would you teach me how to do this if I pay for your time?" With a booming voice and his strong British accent he roared, "Absolutely not!" Then in a much softer voice, he said, "I'll do it for free". This fine gentleman spent from 2 to 4 hours of his precious time every Saturday for a six month period ten years ago in order to pass along to me a small portion of his extensive knowledge of this disappearing art. Upon completion of my tutelage, I presented for his approval two first editions in matching bindings, (the 1692 Fables of Æsop and the 1699 Fables and Storyes), which I had completed utilizing the skills he had graciously passed along to me.

This morning I received and read an email from his wife Nancy, which stated simply...

<< <i>It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Donald completed his journey on Saturday, December 11, 2010. He was not in pain, peaceful and at home which were his wishes. >>

I will greatly miss this man, and I grieve the loss of his kind companionship.

Above is Donald Beswick of Camarillo, CA holding the first two books I restored under his tutelage in 2000.

imageimage
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    A masterful art!!! I'm very sorry for the loss of your mentor. image
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    What a nice gentleman to share and pass down his craft and passion to you! His memory does live on within you, don't forget that. Each book binding you restore, you do pay tribute to Donald Beswick.

Few days go by that I do not think about that kind German WWII veteran that got me into coins and stamps.

I think we all stand on the shoulders of giants. We in turn will have our day to pass on our passions and crafts to someone too.

A life long lesson that I keep realizing is that being generous goes a long way. Donald Beswick used that opportunity you presented to him (regarding teaching you the art of book binding) with class, enthusiasm, generousity and honor. You are a living example of Donald Beswick and I am sure he would be touched with this tribute of him.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss.

These two books look great. I've had some numismatic books bound, and I know how difficult it is to find someone who does this well.

Asterix comic books (in German, from 25 years ago when I was over there, and French, English and now Polish - they are a blast),

I too have Asterix books, in French only though, along with several TinTins.
    I'm sure that you can tell the difference between good and cheap editions, mostly in the correct representation of the colours.

Do you import these cars in Poland? That's a hobby that needs a lot of space. image

<< <i>
    Nice! We collect Arts & Crafts furniture, artwork, metalwork, pottery, etc. Fits in well with Goines!
    Roycroft, Limbert, Stickley (L&JG, Gus):
    >>

Weiss, I love that chair behind the floor lamp and against the red wall . Beautiful furniture.

To the guys that go to the gym, hats off. I don't have the discipline for it, so I do taichi instead, where the power of the group is essential in my participation.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I can see by the photos of the work he taught you how to do he must have been a master craftsman, and the way he went about teching you proves that he was indeed a good person. Last month I lost who could be described as my mentor in one aspect of my scale model building. It's tough but I feel they live on as long as their memory is kept alive.
  • Options
    I am sorry for your loss. I have also lost people who meant a great deal to me and it is hard, but we can be thankful for knowing them and how they touched our lives, and honor them as you are doing.
    Bob

• Options
    IloiloKano, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. It's good that you acquired the skills so at least you can carry on his good work. You know, I have an old family Bible printed in Philadelphia in the 1810-1820s and it's in excellent condition except that both covers have become separated from the rest of the book. The binding appears in more or less good shape (though it could be tightened up a bit I suppose) but does the work you do encompass repairing the covers (reattaching to the book)? It's embossed leather.

Dimitri, I know any fellow Asterix fan knows what I'm talking about! Perhaps the best comic ever devised. When reading the various translations, you can see that some language versions suffer compared to others, but in general they do a marvelous job of conveying the meaning. French (the original language) is the best, in my opinion, and English the worst (that I've read), but the German and Polish versions are fantastic. In fact, in any language one reads them in, one must have an amazing command of not only different languages, but references associated with culture, history, economy, literature, etc, etc, ad inf. Those comics are simply brilliant.

All the Monte Carlos are in Poland. The yellow one is a 1973 Landau from Tucson, 147,000 miles with original paint and no rust and about 400 pages of original documentation. The red metallic 1974 Landau hails from Idaho, but nonetheless still maintains its original paint (except on the rear roof panel where the vinyl cover was removed 25 years ago) also with no rust (some surface rust on mechanical components, however, underneath the car), and has 123,000 miles and is equipped from the factory with the quite scarce 454 big block engine, and extremely rare electric sunroof option, and the wonderfully comfortable swivel bucket seats. It also came with an AM/FM/8-track stereo system which cost about $450 at the time - extremely expensive. This car cost as much as a Cadillac in its day. The white 1973 Sport Coupe came from Arizona and also has zero rust, but has been repainted, and has a non-factory built 454 engine in it too (350 was original). The interiors in each car are original and in mint condition except for the yellow car, which as a sun-cracked dash and some rips in the front seat. I've always been a car nut...so space considerations must be prioritized... image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

All the Monte Carlos are in Poland. >>

I sometimes see 1970s and 1980s cars from America in Ukraine and think, wow, driving such big car on so bad and narrow roads and petrol so dear. Must be nice. I could afford to do, but then I like blend in with the Lada:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Sorry about your loss!

And...BTW...Hunting, Fishing, Gardening, and Cooking.
  • Options
    sorry to read about the passing of your friend...

• Options
    Weiss-

great look and there is so much great stuff from the true Arts and Crafts era

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Beer. >>

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    What a wonderful, heartfelt tribute to a lost friend. Thank you for sharing and honoring your friendship in the process. I cant help but stop and think about what I am doing myself (both actively and inadvertantly) to pass on my experiences to the next generation.

Off topic, but it makes me think of one of my prized possessions - a 40 page autobiography that my grandfather typed out on an old manual typewriter the year before he passed in 2001. Its nothing fancy in its three ring binder, but it is a beautifully written honest story of a gritty life on the streets of Chicago as an orphan to a WWII military pilot in Burma to a family man and loved grandfather. I can only hope that my life can fill a book with integrity like his.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I am sure a lot of our hobbies were learned from someone else in the beginning, even if just an introduction.

I collect a lot of things: baseball cards, star wars figures, transformer figures, GI Joe figures, toys kept in original packaging representing an era, stamps, Mercedes-Benz cars, family artifacts, and some other stuff.

As far and leisure and activity: hiking, world travel, history, current events, cultural events, social gatherings, etc.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I sometimes see 1970s and 1980s cars from America in Ukraine and think, wow, driving such big car on so bad and narrow roads and petrol so dear. Must be nice. I could afford to do, but then I like blend in with the Lada:

>>

Nice Niva - a perfect way to fit into the crowd. How about this - a 1980 FSO Polonez? I don't drive it much since it has only 13,700 km on it. And though they were common once, the best way to be invisible nowadays is a late model German car.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect this material type yet it sounds like many others do.

Collectors Vie For World War I Memorabilia
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

It looks like a VW Rabbit and an International Scout mated and produced that. image
  • Options
    I collect ancestors and old books especially non-fiction.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am interested in astronomy, right now I am using a 254mm Newtonian Reflector to observe the wonders of space.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com