Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Proof Set go on sale tomorrow

levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
Is there any difference between these and the cents that are in the 2009 proof set ?

Comments

• Nope. Linky

Edit: Just read the rest of the information on it...

"The United States Mint will begin shipping this product in late November 2009." image

Yeah...let's sell something but not ship it for almost 3 months..geez.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would anyone order this set? If you buy the clad or silver 2009 Proof set, you already have these coins.

When I was a dealer I was stuck with some of those State Quarters Only Proof sets that the mint issues every year. I almost could not give them away at the shows. I finally got rid of them by putting at big sign in my case at a FUN show offering them at 50% of Gray Sheet bid. A dealer bought them, but he actually had the brass ask if I could do any better on the price. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    "These coins have the exact metallic content as contained in the 1909 one-cent coin (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)."

is this the same composition as the cents that were in the proof sets ? Also the proof sets were struck in San Francisco. Does anyone know where the 4 coin Lincoln proof sets will be minted at ?

• << <i>"These coins have the exact metallic content as contained in the 1909 one-cent coin (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)."

is this the same composition as the cents that were in the proof sets ? Also the proof sets were struck in San Francisco. Does anyone know where the 4 coin Lincoln proof sets will be minted at ? >>

They're the same exact coins as the ones in the Proof & Silver Proof Sets. It's only being offered IMO because their are people who only collect Lincolns coins or just simply anything to do with Lincoln.

• << <i>Why would anyone order this set? If you buy the clad or silver 2009 Proof set, you already have these coins.

When I was a dealer I was stuck with some of those State Quarters Only Proof sets that the mint issues every year. I almost could not give them away at the shows. I finally got rid of them by putting at big sign in my case at a FUN show offering them at 50% of Gray Sheet bid. A dealer bought them, but he actually had the brass ask if I could do any better on the price. image >>

Yikes! Yeah I made the mistake of ordering the '09 Silver Proof Quarters before the Silver Proof Set came on sale. The quarter set I believe was a little over half the cost of the entire Silver Proof Set.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But as we all know or should know....When it comes to some Mint products, it's the packaging that sells. I think this will be a "hot item" even if it's just a duplication of what's already available in the clad & silver proof sets. I will order the max allowed of 5 sets...( heck they are cheap, and if history repeats itself, some of the most successful Mint products, are the cheapies that are overlooked by the "sophisticated" collectors.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>But as we all know or should know....When it comes to some Mint products, it's the packaging that sells. I think this will be a "hot item" even if it's just a duplication of what's already available in the clad & silver proof sets. I will order the max allowed of 5 sets...( heck they are cheap, and if history repeats itself, some of the most successful Mint products, are the cheapies that are overlooked by the "sophisticated" collectors. >>

A hot item that is being offered with an unlimited production number. Mark my words, within six weeks, the 5-set limit will be lifted which will make the set no different than any other proof or mint set. The Mint can also offer it for as long as they like, even into 2010.
  • To get the 95% copper cent in uncirc you still need to buy the uncirc. 2009 mint set, correct? Or are they selling a 95% copper uncirc. set in the future?

• << <i>To get the 95% copper cent in uncirc you still need to buy the uncirc. 2009 mint set, correct? Or are they selling a 95% copper uncirc. set in the future? >>

i think the unc sets will be satin finish zinc. i think the only copper ones will be the proofs.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • The mint indicates the set is 95% copper, so I assumed that would be the only way I would get burnished finish in 95% copper??

mint link
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    right now you're finding out more than many know.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>"These coins have the exact metallic content as contained in the 1909 one-cent coin (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)."

is this the same composition as the cents that were in the proof sets ? Also the proof sets were struck in San Francisco. Does anyone know where the 4 coin Lincoln proof sets will be minted at ? >>

san fran
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

• << <i>right now you're finding out more than many know. >>

Thats why I enjoy most of the posts, I always learn something, or find out what others dont know! I always take the time to read your posts, MsMorrisine, as I value your opinion.

Cheers
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nooooo.... I'm a newbie!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    So am I correct in saying that this set will be the only way to get the 4 2009 lincoln proof cents that are being made using the same metal composition as was used in 1909 ?

• << <i>So am I correct in saying that this set will be the only way to get the 4 2009 lincoln proof cents that are being made using the same metal composition as was used in 1909 ? >>

The proof 95% coppers are in 4 different sets (silver, regular, Lincoln cent and the October dollar/cent set)

The uncirculated 95% coppers (satin finish) ONLY in the upcoming 36 coin set....

Hmmmmmmm.....which coppers will have the better value????

Survey says: "Uncirculated satins"

Correct???

US Mint link

edited to add link
    Talk about confusing !

Thanks
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's on First?...
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file