Home Precious Metals

Gold question......

I have some 1 ounce Credit Suisse bars sealed in plastic with the assay card.

My question: What are the small round pieces, in a seperate bag that are marked 1.82 dwt? Do they have any value?

Thanks members, I'm just not up on gold process.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.82 dwt = .09 troy oz
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭
    So, are those pieces actual 24k gold?
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance for a picture? A quick google shows that's the exact amount of copper used in the otherwise pure gold 1 ounce Krugerrand.

An odd weight, odd coincidence?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Tried to add pic but it says file is too big, what now? thx
  • Compress the picture to a size that works.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Just join photobucket.com, upload the pic, copy and paste into the thread.image
    Becky
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    If you have any trouble, just PM me and I will help.
    Becky
    Thank you members for pics help.

I found out that I have 8.49 grams of 24k gold nuggets. It was sealed with my gold bars with assay cert.
    8.49 g = 0.272959 oz(troy) of nuggets ..... so how much can you get for, lets say, 1 oz of gold nuggets?
    I believe Apmex charges spot for 1oz nuggets.

<< <i>I believe Apmex charges spot for 1oz nuggets. >>

I don't think so...they may charge spot for "shot"....( .999 refined gold) but not for nuggets, which could be as low as .333 or less.

• << <i>

I don't think so...they may charge spot for "shot"....( .999 refined gold) but not for nuggets, which could be as low as .333 or less. >>

They charge a very tiny premium over spot on .999 shot. However, a decent 1oz gold nugget is a borderline collector's item due to its rarity. And even assuming it was in the range of 18-20 kt, would bring a premium to gold if sold in the correct venue.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think so...they may charge spot for "shot"....( .999 refined gold) but not for nuggets, which could be as low as .333 or less. >>

They charge a very tiny premium over spot on .999 shot. However, a decent 1oz gold nugget is a borderline collector's item due to its rarity. And even assuming it was in the range of 18-20 kt, would bring a premium to gold if sold in the correct venue. >>

Perhaps .... as we all know, there is a "sucker born etc etc"
    BTW show me a link for APMEX selling gold nuggets....
  • I never claimed that APMEX sells raw nuggets, they may from time to time as opportunities arise, but I dont think they actively stock them.

My contention is that its a well known fact that a 1oz raw gold nugget is actually more rare than a 5ct diamond. Therefore, a market does exist on these "freaks of nature" due to their scarcity. I personally do not collect raw nuggets, but there are people who avidly pursue them.

<< <i>I never claimed that APMEX sells raw nuggets, they may from time to time as opportunities arise, but I dont think they actively stock them.

My contention is that its a well known fact that a 1oz raw gold nugget is actually more rare than a 5ct diamond. Therefore, a market does exist on these "freaks of nature" due to their scarcity. I personally do not collect raw nuggets, but there are people who avidly pursue them. >>

Gecko...I meant for Silverman to show a link to APMEX ...
    How true...people will collect anything....one of my cousins collects rocks from every State that he's been in & plants them in his back yard around bushes or flower beds....( But now, he's not sure which rock belongs to what State ... the ink has washed off image)