Home Precious Metals
Options

How many of you

have Silverware? Seems it would be a good investment. Would save you $ on normal utensils. Can be had under melt. Silver is supposedly health beneficial. You wouldn't have to keep it locked in the safe.

Cons: You must keep it from Tarnishing. It will be out in the open for Thieves.

So...How many of you use Silverware daily? I'll venture to guess None however I'm sure some of you have "special" silverware for rare occasions that may have been passed down the family tree.

Stupid ? sure but, What do you want? I've been up 19 hours so far and don't plan to hit the sack for another 13 image
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I've got plenty but never use it. It just sits on the shelf because I prefer the way my high quality stainless steel ware fits my hands and in general lends itself to the job of transferring food from my plate to my mouth.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    i've been keeping an eye open for a nice looking set of silverware to use often.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I inherited a set of silver ware from my mother when she passed away almost 40 years ago. I have yet to use it even once...I'm sure my kids or their kids will have the same dilemma. Silver ware is from a different age & life style.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i have a set from my grandparents, beautiful. she'd pull it out for Christmas. now it's just in it's tarnish proof wrap and box.

where can you find sterling for under melt?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    besides ebay where is a good place to find silverware?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    several years ago I bought an 8 place setting set of Oneida sterling silver flatware for melt. It is in perfect condition. It gets used once a year and it does look SPECTACULAR when polished up and on the table!

But everyday stuff is also Oneida's heirloom stainless. Best in the world.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I have a set of silver plate from my mother-in-law, but we never use it.
    Becky
  • Options
    yes, un-used silverware for sale here, among a ton of other inherited household knick-knacks, crystal, china, etc.

That stainless set sounds nice.

I'd probably just keep eating with my fingers and spend the silverware proceeds on a coin or two.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some silver, but I don't use it. You can get sterling under melt often.
    Antique malls, yard sales, ebay, pawn shops, flea market, etc.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked it, or at least the idea of it, but never owned it. It's just not practical anymore. I predict the same fate for good watches within the next decade. The generation coming up now has no interest in a Lange or Omega--their cell phones are always with them and always tell the time.

A word of caution when buying sterling flatware by weight: knives and larger serving pieces often have plaster-filled handles and steel blades.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame