Home Precious Metals

NewP with reveal: What whould have have done?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went back to my regular B&M today to see what he had metalwise.

Four 1/10 oz eagles. One was a 2006 NGC MS69 first strike. One was a 2007 NGC Early strike? "Gem Brilliant Uncirculated" but no numeric grade, and then two 2008 with the same NGC early strike gem brilliant unc.

The 2006 he offered to me at $115. The others were $105.

Then he pulled out his unslabbed classic gold.

Had a 1903-s $5 in XF, accurately graded, with a tiny hint of coppery skin. Mintage about 1.8M. Marked at $275, said he'd take $250.

He also had a 1901-s $5 in AU, accurately graded, nice luster. Mintage about 3.6M. Marked $300, said he'd take $260.

What would you have done, and why?
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the classic fives
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm into bullion so I would have got the 1/10ths. I am unsure of the $5, but if I had a red book near me or greysheet, I would take a look to see prices.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I consider both of your options as "bullion".... take the less expensive one.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • I would have bought the 2 2008 1/10th ouncers, and the 1903s strictly for the mintages. I am not sure the mintage of the 2008s but I have sold several on ebay for well over that.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could have gotten the 2006 first strike for the same money as the others, I would have gotten that. Or if the others had actually been graded MS69s instead of just "Gem Brilliant Uncirculated", even without the "first strike" designation, I would have gone that route. Truth be told I almost walked out the door with the '06 anyway.

But I wasn't really looking for flipping material, just a little something to add to the pile. At $105, the 1/10th ounces were about 10% over melt. At $115, it was 20%+ over melt.

Taking a look at his classic gold was actually my idea. I did some quick math in my head and figured if I could get the classic pieces for the same margin, they'd be more interesting at least.

The 1903 is a significantly smaller mintage, but the luster and strike on the 1901 just kind of jumped out of the case. So I got the 1901:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Very nice. Go back & get the XF for me image
    Its all relative
  • That's a nice looking half eagle.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys!
    --Severian the Lame
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    I'd have done what you did; classic American gold turns me on way more than modern bullion, and the minute price differential makes it an easy choice. Maybe that's why all my gold bullion is in the form of older "bullion" coins, Lightside and Darkside (heavily weighted toward Darkside, however).

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22