Home U.S. Coin Forum

1987 $5 gold commem for $1 BIN?

Do you think the seller is trying to avoid fees with thisAuction ? $1 Buy It Now and $255 shipping and handling? image
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably be reported soon to eBay. This is the most blatant case of fee avoidance that I've ever seen.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll ask the seller about a Local Pick-Up option imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • He actually has a free pickup local shipping option! I wonder how far from the OK border he is in MO? image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
    I wonder if it's just human error. Usually, people who practice fee avoidance are more subtle.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>He actually has a free pickup local shipping option! I wonder how far from the OK border he is in MO? image >>

Total Travel Estimates: Time: 5 hours 53 minutes Distance: 392.16 miles image

You should buy it and then file a dispute for excessive shipping charge...image
    To: kbmxer75
    Item: 1987 $5 Constitution GOLD Commemorative UNCIRCULATED (220463122313)
    Subject:

Dear kbmxer75

I am going to use the BIN on this.. I would like to use your free pickup option? What hours are you avail for pickup?

- cinman14

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he does offer a better shipping deal on this one:

price of a postage stamp

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• Nothing wrong with playing the system, as long as its legal. The guy is smart.

<< <i>Nothing wrong with playing the system, as long as its legal. The guy is smart. >>

We will see how smart he is... I just offered to buy all his gold for 3 dollars and requested the
    free local pickup option.... image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems an arrest has been made by the ebay police

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing wrong with playing the system, as long as its legal. The guy is smart. >>

It's not legal and the guy is an idiot.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>seems an arrest has been made by the ebay police >>

Ebay police had nothing to do with it. I bought all 3 coins. image

$3 paid by Paypal, local option pickup requested.

<< <i>

<< <i>seems an arrest has been made by the ebay police >>

Ebay police had nothing to do with it. I bought all 3 coins. image

$3 paid by Paypal, local option pickup requested. >>

I was gonna do that but the "contact seller to pay for and arrange pickup" made me hesitate...

I think the word "pay for" will save him on this one...

The 'pay for' part is done (via PayPal). Now all we have to do is arrange secure, public pickup.

I'll have someone in St. Louis pick them up for me (if the deal goes through, which I'm pretty sure it won't).

<< <i>The 'pay for' part is done (via PayPal). Now all we have to do is arrange secure, public pickup.

I'll have someone in St. Louis pick them up for me (if the deal goes through, which I'm pretty sure it won't). >>

The "pay for" was not part of the paypal payment. It was under the free shipping part when you selected it from the shipping options.

It said "contact seller to arrange to pay for and pickup item" that part was separate from the 1 dollar paypal payment..

<< <i>

We will see how smart he is... I just offered to buy all his gold for 3 dollars and requested the
    free local pickup option.... image >>

Are you prepared to give him 3 negs for not going through with this transaction?

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    These auction will be void by Ebay. Wait and see.

<< <i>...Are you prepared to give him 3 negs for not going through with this transaction? >>

No, I'll likely not. I'd prefer not to have this part of my own 'Feedback left for others' history.

<< <i>These auction will be void by Ebay. Wait and see. >>

Based on what? Fee avoidance? Or do you think the seller will try to have the sale voided?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Based on what? Fee avoidance? Or do you think the seller will try to have the sale voided? >>

Ebay has a financial interest in voiding these sales since they only take a cut on the $1 list price for each and not the postage. They will likely be voided by ebay based on fee avoidance.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

<< <i>

<< <i>

Based on what? Fee avoidance? Or do you think the seller will try to have the sale voided? >>

Ebay has a financial interest in voiding these sales since they only take a cut on the $1 list price for each and not the postage. They will likely be voided by ebay based on fee avoidance. >>

Yes - I know and agree. But the sale won't be voided at my request is my point. That is part of the reason why I went forward with the purchase.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, has the seller "seen the light" and repented?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Really curious how this one turns out. image

All three $1 Paypal payments were just refunded to me by the seller, with the comment "This auction had an error and is not available for pick up."

I am shocked, simply shocked.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    darn

and here I was ready to suggest you pay for them with 3 golden dollars.

such a shame.

just wait.... there's betting money out there that he re-lists with the $1 BIN and no local pickup option.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    that's a shame. I would have worked with you on this one. If you would have given me one of these I would have picked them up for you as I'm about 90 minutes away. image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Oh, it's not over yet. He has only refunded my payments. The coins are still showing as 'Items I've Won' in ebay. I still have to pay for them. image

I've sent him a message highlighting his "PLEASE READ AND REVIEW ENTIRE AUCTION BEFORE BIDDING" language, and indicated sincerely that I tried to do so, and that I'd like to arrange a secure, public, mutually convenient time & date to pick up these coins.

Stay tuned, all. The saga continues...!

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    Look what I started. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

• << <i>Oh, it's not over yet. >>

Sure it is. You don't really think you're ever going to get those coins for a buck each, do you?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ebay has a financial interest in voiding these sales since they only take a cut on the $1 list price for each and not the postage. They will likely be voided by ebay based on fee avoidance. >>

doesn't stop you from completing it if both the buyer and seller agree. I've completed many such sale in ebay's heyday of canceling sales on technicalities. However, if nobody reported it before it ended, there will probably be no "void". I think the term ebay uses is "cancelled". --Jerry
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, it's not over yet. He has only refunded my payments. The coins are still showing as 'Items I've Won' in ebay. I still have to pay for them. image

I've sent him a message highlighting his "PLEASE READ AND REVIEW ENTIRE AUCTION BEFORE BIDDING" language, and indicated sincerely that I tried to do so, and that I'd like to arrange a secure, public, mutually convenient time & date to pick up these coins.

Stay tuned, all. The saga continues...! >>

I'm sure the address of the local police station is available on the web.

I can't help but wonder what eBay would do if you filed a dispute with them. Your arguement would then go from the seller to eBay. I guess at that point eBay would probably cancel the auction, however eBay would then be arguing with you about the reasonableness of the shipping + insurance charges. They'd then point out the price of gold vs. the $1 BIN cost.

And I've got a couple of sellers doing similar. Could you pass the eBay person's contact info off to me, because when I report these listings nothing ever happens. At one point a seller stopped doing this, but has recently restarted.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    this event won't arise.... but make sure they are the same coins in the same condition as advertised. image

I reported all 3 auctions before they ended with the BIN. He has refunded the money and given a reason.

He will contact Ebay and they will cancel the auctions.. Any feedback you leave before they pull these
    will be deleted.

It was fun while it lasted..
    It's not hard to find stuff with high shipping charges and low BIN prices.

can eBay be proactive?

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh, it's not over yet. >>

Sure it is. You don't really think you're ever going to get those coins for a buck each, do you? >>

Of course not. I expect him to get slapped on the wrist for attempted fee avoidance, and the sales to be cancelled.

<< <i>this event won't arise.... >>

Agreed.

<< <i>... but make sure they are the same coins in the same condition as advertised. image >>

I saved the auction pics prior to BIN'ing them for just this eventuality. I do this with all ebay purchases, and recommend it as a general rule.

<< <i>It's not hard to find stuff with high shipping charges and low BIN prices.

can eBay be proactive? >>

Yes, simple upfront logic would prevent this kind of thing. Frankly, I'm surprised that they don't already do it.

• mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Of course not. I expect him to get slapped on the wrist for attempted fee avoidance, and the sales to be cancelled. >>

Ahh- I see. So eBay can take time away from investigating sellers who are cheating buyers to investigate a seller who's cheating eBay. image
    I would expect in an organization this large they'd be under the same higher mgmt but be in different departments.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file