Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1851 gold dollar... "C" mintmark, or "O"? (2010 update w/different pics)

2»

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C or O - either way it's really cool!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The distance away from the ribbon and the bottom rim of the coin just wants me to say “O” The serifs appear to be nothing more than rolled over gold from the punched out hole and rolled over from wear.

You will be able to much better define these issues when you get the coin in hand.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The distance between the top of the bow and the bottom of the date is greater on the O than on the C. LordM's coin matches the C in this respect. Also, the distance between the lower right point of the second 1 in the date and the wreath is greater on the O than on the C. LordM's coin matches the C in this respect as well. Lastly, the berry nearest the right side of the second 1 in the date is higher up on the C than it is on the O. LordM's coin matches the C again.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I'm gonna call it a C based on the evidence provided in this thread.

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt...it's either an "O" or a "C"image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Looks like a Charlotte to me.

Fun coin. Congrats.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is now updated in the sense that I've added new pictures above, but I fear they aren't much better than the original pictures that vanished as a result of both my old image host AND my laptop dying.

I only just now got around to having more pictures done.

They probably won't help much with diagnostics, though, since I forgot to ask for closeups of the mm area on this coin. I just added it as an afterthought when I sent my love token collection off to be imaged. I suppose I shall have to try and get my wife's camera and take some closeups and angled shots. My scanner is not working.

Stay tuned for later pictures. Since I'll be the photographer, they won't be great, but I think with my wife's camera set on macro I can get down close to the mm and try out some angles. Looking at the coin in a loupe, I think I can see the serifs of the "C", where they got pushed up from the drilling, which was done from the obverse side. But I can't be sure.

Ambro51 made this suggestion:

<< <i>Lord M, when you really really look at this close see if you can see the trace of a die crack above OF AM(erica). That is a surefire diagnostic for a Charlotte mint 51. May be too worn to see that though. >>

Sadly, it is apparently too worn to see those die cracks, if they were there.

Say- does anybody have a submission goin' off to PCGS that they'd let me piggyback on? I'd be willing to pay the fees to have it in a "genuine" holder.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe its fake.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe its fake. >>

I greatly doubt that. I'm fairly certain it is a genuine US gold dollar. Whether it's an 1851-C or an 1851-O, though, I guess the jury's still out. The discussion so far has been interesting, though.

I gotta get some better closeups.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    To me it looks fairly certainly a C from the Obv. --Jerry
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another O & C to compare. Unfortunately, 12:00 area was the preferred position for the drill or nail. Very grateful for the slightest rotation of the dies.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be a "C" mm... The lower case letter is a dead giveaway, as well as it's size.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You hole guys should but that 1866 gold dollar with the hole on eBay. Super rare date, first I've seen in a year ... And it's got a hole
  • Options
    Ambro, That 66 would be a duplicate for me. I still need a 60-D and a 63 to complete the decade.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey no problem. Let me send you my 60d and 63 and you can drill them out. Glad to help! Btw that will be $11,000 please
  • Options
    I can see that am no longer THE Holey of Holeys. The writing on the wall tells me that clearly H&C has a far more advanced holey coin collection than I do.

• Options
    LM, you ARE the "Holey of Holeys"!!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

old thread

But, can anyone definitively tell which mint mark this is?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2019 8:13AM
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland ....Looking back, I thought it was concluded to be a C... I do not recall any PUP's, just the analysis of the pushed metal. ICBW... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lotta peeps been banned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file