Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this called; something like a stamp through?

It took a couple days, but I finally looked at the silver proof sets that arrived. On The Virgin Islands quarter it looks like there was some crud on the die.
This is probably a no brainer, but I thought I may as well ask about it before sending it back.
Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    You are thinking of "struck through". No idea what would cause a perfect circular dimple like that though. Perhaps the mint uses some type of round shot to prepare the planchets and one found its way into the coining press?
  • Options
    It does make me wonder what would create such a near perfect circular indent. Particularly when it cuts into the edge of a letter. I'd think if something loose was between the planchet and die then the dimple would be oblong, moving further from the field into the letter.
    The more I wonder about it (curiousity) it's causing the decision to return it more difficult.

Has there been any type of error discovered in the 09 silver proof sets? It seems there were plenty with the 09 business strike cents. I'd sure like to know what it feels like to find an error in a proof set. Better yet, a silver proof set.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Although this could be construed as a error coin under the pretense of it not meeting the standards of the US Mint, it might not be a reoccurring error.

What do we see here?

1.) still encased in OGP
    2.) something happened to a struck mint coin
    3.) did it occur before/during/after the strike (unknown)
    4.) is this a recurrent strike or an anomaly of just one coin?
    5.) indented as in Struck through
    6.) circular, mostly in the mirrored field on the obverse side

It could have been any numerous foreign objects that could have somehow fallen/blown/swept/ or carried into the coining chamber, landing on an already positioned planchet awaiting for the obverse die to strike. Once the coin is struck, the proof coin would have more than likely been tonged out of the raised coining chamber and sent to a tray.

I’m going to have to say debris got into a planchet filled chamber, the obverse die struck against the locked anvil die, the die retracted and the anvil die came up, razing the coin out of the collar and tonged off into a awaiting tray.

Take you time and get some clearer images of the area in question.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I had the same thing in one of my sets on a Lincoln recently, it turned out to be a small drop of adhesive of some kind on the surface.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn... another anomaly to check for...... look out, the flippers will be circling...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I'm not thinking of this as an error; for me it's curiousity.
    Wooden Jeffs surmise sounds most likely. With it appearing as a clean circle, I'm beginning to like it.
    Never cracking a proof set to date, I see no reason to do it here. I'll admit it would be nice to have a better look, but still not enough to crack it.
    This does make another time I wish I had camara capable of close ups such as some that are shown here.

I'd still like to know if any real errors have been discovered in the 09 silver proof sets.

• Options

Does it look like this?

• Options
    Possible struck thru oil droplet. Does it look concave?
  • Options

Possible struck thru oil droplet. Does it look concave?

If you are referring to the Lincoln, yes it appears to be concave but it is not, very deceiving to the eye until I opened the holder, it was a droplet of something on (above) the surface.
  • Options
    <<<If you are referring to the Lincoln, yes it appears to be concave but it is not, very deceiving to the eye until I opened the holder, it was a droplet of something on (above) the surface. >>>

I was refering to the VI 25c but in the case of the Lincoln, if it is a raised drop, it is not a struck thru. More likely an indentation in the die caused by any number of things like a die polishing bit that rested in one place too long.
  • Options
    It appears to be concave but the edge of the circle is not defined so clearly as yours.
    Just to cure the curiousity I'm going to end up cracking it open.
    I've never cracked a TPG holder or a mint lens. What's a good way to crack a mint lens; please no pictures of chainsaws.

This is looking like it's becoming my sig line "Has there been any type of error discovered in the 09 silver proof sets?"
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    error? 19Lyds find of DDR on a FY Cent

there is a thread recently where I asked about cracking the Lens without actually cracking them... here
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file