Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm Back from Spain after a month! (and Lots of PICS) UPDATE: 9/9/09

Wow, a month overseas is a long time, especially when you don't have internet and limited use of a phone. (ohhh, poor me. How did you veterans do it image )
Really though, my time spent in Spain was wonderful, at least the three weeks I spent excavating. My final week of sight-seeing was a bit much, and it's just nice to be home image
In case you don't know what I'm talking about, or have forgotten, or just plain don't know who I am, here's a link to my previous post: Linky

(Oh, and for those MANY people who have sent me PM's give me a day or two to respond to those - Thanks)

To keep this on topic of coins, I did visit two, of at least seven or eight seen, coin shops in Madrid. (I honestly wasn't thinking of coins at all until I saw those shops)
This is really going out of order, since I only visited those shops my last full day in Spain and I didn't pick anything up. (My Spanish is still very bad)
If I might add, almost all of the U.S. coins I looked at were cleaned (not to mention overpriced image )
imageimage

Now, to get to the main purpose for my visit to Spain: Archaeology
Here's a little history of the site I was excavating:
Hominid occupation site; species: Homo Heidelbergensis
Site is at least 700,000 years old, with very strong evidence for 800,000 years old, but probably not older than 900,000 years old. (Upper to Middle Paleolithic)
Most of the items we uncoverered were small animals, most of which were birds or rodents.
We did uncover such large animal remains as Rhinoceros, an extinct species of Horse, Bison, and the largest prize was a Heidelbergensis Molar. (Only the 8th tooth of a hominid found here in 20 years!)
We also found dozens of Lithics. Lithics are stone tools or fragments of stone discarded to make the actual tool. (I just so happened to uncover a large cache of lithics in the square I worked on one morning)
There were at least 7 different types of stone/rock used for making these lithics, which is a particularly high amount for these hominids during this time.

There was never a "normal day" of work since my site instructor wanted to us to experience as much in our limited time there as possible.
But, if there was a regular day, it would be something like this:
Awake before 7:30. Leave at 7:50. Drive 10 minutes to the site. Dig/sift between 8:00 AM and 1:30 PM (while eating breakfast before we leave and have a midmorning snack at 10:30).
Leave the site at 2:00 PM, get back to our school and take a quick shower. Eat lunch at 3:30 PM. Break/Siesta until 5:30.
5:30 we sort our finds in our make-shift lab. Sorting takes 90-120 minutes. From 7:30-9:00 we had either a lecture or break. At 9:00 we ate dinner, and anything after that was up to us.
(We took several field trips to such places as where Lithic/stone material was gathered, Neolithic Rock Art sites, Running of the Bulls, and of course the local Bars, to name a few)

There were 13 volunteers along with the site instructor (Dr. Walker) and 6 Masters/PhD Students - 20 people in all.

Enough with the gibberish words, here are some pics (not even close to all of them - I took 500 in those three weeks)

The Cave - The Warning - Levels being excavated (3 meters wide x 1 meter deep x 4 levels = 12 square meters):
imageimageimage

What we did up there:
Excavations (a lot), 6-7 people in there at a time - Sam pulled the short straw and ended up in the Pit - Up-close digging (it gets crowded)
imageimageimage

Sometimes we found something cool! (actually almost everyday we were there we found something important):
James (not me) and his Lithic - Extinct Horses's Tooth (c. 700kya) - This square was FULL of Lithics and Macrofauna (large animals)
imageimageimage

We also had to sift through the dirt brought up from the Excavation pit:
Three sizes of pans to seeve through - Watering our finds - Our water pump had some problems (image of it getting fixed, again!)
imageimageimage

Everyone working hard seeving (as I hike up the hill to take this pic!) - We had some free-time every now-and-then to catch up on our sleep!
imageimage

Lab work (back at the school)
Working hard to finish sorting - We got bored again (vertebrae) - Discovered/identified a brand-new species from this site with just this single mandible (jaw bone)
imageimageimage

Food:
Sandwich snack up at the site - Fish for dinner (a lot of fish was served over those three weeks, this was the only time the head/tail were still attached!)
imageimage

Miscellaneous:
Rock Art site (6-8,000 years old)
imageimageimage

Running with the Bulls (not Pamplona) - Yes I participated and survived unscathed (I don't have pictures of the running, since I was running!) - I also tried to keep my distance!
imageimageimage

Flintknapping (making stone tools):
My instructor Dr. Walker - Some of the material we used -
imageimage

THere's a lot more, but that's the majority of what went on during those three weeks....

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's a great summer. Thanks for the tour and welcome back.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for sharing! BTW, anyone get gored or trampled by the bulls while you were there?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Very cool, thanks for sharing! BTW, anyone get gored or trampled by the bulls while you were there? >>

There were a couple people who received some heavy injuries, one of which occurred less than 10 meters from where I was, and I actually saw it take place (which was weird, to say the least)
    There were two or three ambulances on the scene for those people.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Winston! Glad you had a good trip. And if you have any spare 'lithics' around that were shaped into spear points, etc. give me a holler image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Awesome! Glad you had a good time, looks like fun!image
  • Options

<< <i>Site is at least 700,000 years old, with very strong evidence for 800,000 years old >>

So I take it there were no dug coins?image
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome back, Winston! Glad you had a good trip. And if you have any spare 'lithics' around that were shaped into spear points, etc. give me a holler image >>

The only lithics I have are the ones I made while flintknapping, and those are nothing special - yet!
    Unfortunately, I don't think we found any spear points during those three weeks.

The best lithic found at this site is a stone-hammer/axe which pre-dates the next oldest stone-hammers/axe (from another site) by some 300,000 years, which is a phenomenally large gap.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Site is at least 700,000 years old, with very strong evidence for 800,000 years old >>

So I take it there were no dug coins?image >>

Not unless they were made of stone image
    BUT, somewhat along those lines, and judging from the range of lithic material discovered at this site, it brings about the possibility that materials were "traded" by other groups.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, Stone.

Looks like you had a very interesting month.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    WOW! That would have been awesome to do. Glad that you made it back safe and sound with an exciting experiance to tell others. And thanks for pictures!! That was the cherry on top.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Great trip! Glad you had a great time!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    There were at least 7 different types of stone/rock used for making these lithics, which is a particularly high amount for these hominids during this time.

>>

Oh, get off their backs! they were cave men. imageimageimage

<< <i>
    Enough with the gibberish words, here are some pics (not even close to all of them - I took 500 in those three weeks)

Sometimes we found something cool! (actually almost everyday we were there we found something important):
    >>

It's all interesting....

I notice how "un-caked with dirt" that stuff is.... is it from being in the cave? not being buried for millions of years? not buried deep enough? all? did you clean them with something to chip off dirt stuck to it?

Plus the condition they are in is so good. Looks like whatever they were kicked off a few years ago.

<< <i>
    Miscellaneous:
    Rock Art site (6-8,000 years old)
    >>

evidence of ancient vandals....

or should we decriminalize tagging? image

I'd have loved to been there!
    (I can fit in a small suitcase)

very interesting stuff!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Stone, glad you had a great trip. What an adventure, one you'll remember for the rest of your life, I'm sure! Look forward to seeing you back on the boards - and at the next show!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the post! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That is very cool....thanks for sharing. I love studying history...I can't imagine how cool it would be to be able to actually look for and find as yet unknown pieces of history!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1973, I went to El Rastro flea market in Madrid one Sunday. Everything legal was for sale there. Leather goods, tableware, you name the knick knack, it was for sale. They also had some coins. I picked up a 1920 P Cent in a low grade Unc. They also had a number of aluminum 30 lire coins from the Mussolini era (they were all ugly; with an image of Il Duce, one would expect this), along with various WW II medals, mostly from the Axis powers.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time take a metal detector if you expect to find coins. image Seriously, nice report and thanks for sharing. Now if you had headed a bit further south to the Costa del Sol.........

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Stone, great reporting, sounds like a fantastic trip!
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a great summer you won't forget!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but that stuff all looked cleaned to me, think it'll get BB'd by the PAGS (Professional Artifact Grading Service)?
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool trip Stone! 500 pics, really? WoW!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Memories that will last a lifetime.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Thanks guys.
    Yes, this will be a very memorable summer, and I'm continuing my correspondence with this professor who hosts this dig.

The 500 pictures divide up to about 350 for the first 3 weeks of digging and about 150 more from the last week of sight-seeing (I've since deleted about 25 since they were fuzzy extras)
    Unfortunately, on my third day there, and 50-60 pictures in, my camera decided to erase those pictures and start fresh. Fortunately It was still early in the trip and I since re-took most of those.

Oh, and shorecoll, that's a good one about the cleaning image

I should also add that the top three layers being excavated was relatively loose soil and not super compact. The last level, or two, was where pick-axes needed to be implemented
    in order to break through material that was almost as hard as rock and also took a long time to break down in the wet-sifting areas.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I'm super jealous. I hope you enjoyed it. Welcome back.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm super jealous. I hope you enjoyed it. Welcome back. >>

"Enjoy" is truly an understatement to what the trip turned out to be.

It was an absolute blast!!!
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Winston; Good to read the report & Glad you got a chance at this once in a lifetime adventure image

Now you need to head to Egypt to excavate a lost pyramid..
  • Options
    Welcome home Stone, what a great way to spend your summer and earning credit while you're at it. I now understand where your name comes from.

John
  • Options
    Welcome back and thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Great post and welcome back. I hope to someday see the other photos and hear all about this in person if I were to be so lucky. Thank you so much for sharing the adventure and some of the importance of the finds and site. Tremendous!

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Stone... great pictures and sounds like a fun trip...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    reminds me of "it's not work if you enjoy it."

Were there any unidentifiable bits of ______ (something that's an artifiact but too small to ident.) that you got to keep for yourself because it wasn't useful scientifically?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    There was TOOOOOO much stuff that was unidentifiable, but 99% of this was bone fragments, and no I couldn't keep any of it image
    AND, I don't believe any of help took anything as a "souvenir" either, like a lithic for instance, we just weren't that type of people.

Oh, and you are right, it never felt like work, despite it being rather labor intensive.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Welcome back. I really enjoyed the photos and narrative you posted. It looks like you had an outstanding trip. I hope you have the chance to do more. Make the memories while you're young and you can. Congratulations.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really really neat....I would love to do that kind of stuff but gotta work. Spain is a great country even given its poverty and problems. I lived there for several years when I was a kid and really have great memories...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options

<< <i>Next time take a metal detector if you expect to find coins. image Seriously, nice report and thanks for sharing. Now if you had headed a bit further south to the Costa del Sol.........

image >>

Nice to hear that you got to follow up the "work" with some sightseeing. Let us see a few photos of your last two weeks as well!
  • Options

<< <i>image

Thank you for the post! image >>

• Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    great pics and coverage. looked like a blast
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure beats the hell out of my July
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    STONE. I new you'd come through for us with a great report.

Fascinating work. How long was long was that cave occupied?
    What was at the top?
  • Options

<< <i>Fascinating work. How long was that cave occupied?
    What was at the top? >>

Its difficult to determine how long the cave was occupied since there is such a dynamic mix of stone-objects as well as bone/bone fragments mixed in most layers of the deposition.
    At the time, 800,000 years ago (+/- 100,000 years), the cave sat next to the shore of a lake and flooding from that lake deposited sediments, of which there is 3-4 meters deep of sediment.
    As tectonic uplift took place, that lake turned into a river and a small canyon began to form in the region (which is how it looks presently, and that river is now just a small stream).

It's not unreasonable to assume that the site was occupied temporarily (likely seasonally) for 80,000 years (+/- 20,000) by small groups of hominids.
    This is taking into account what objects we're finding, how much we're finding of those objects in a level, etc.

There is also an extended answer to you question of how long the cave was occupied.
    We know that in the late 1300's or early 1400's the cave was being used as a hide-out for a religious group (forgive me for not remembering more specifically the religion), and religious objects as well as other wares were found in pits (dug by that religious group) on the west half of the cave.

The cave was also used as a hide-out by those escaping/fleeing the Moorish invasion (I can't recall the date of this)

And, the cave was later used in the 1800's and early 1900's as another hideout by locals fleeing civil war.

I'm sure there was other occupation of this cave since the adjacent plateau, which sits above the cave, was a Neolithic settlement which had direct access to this large cave.

You also asked about what was at the top level.
    My most accurate answer is that we never excavated any of the very top level from this cave while I was there and our field instructor never went over this level specifically.
    BUT, if it wasn't for one team members lounging around at the entrance of the cave on the second to last day, I would be completely oblivious to what was there.
    This member happened to be bored and dusted some of the surface with his hand and uncovered about 4-5 lithics just in a relatively small area.
    This then tells me that what we were excavating about 2 meters down was the same or very similar to that at the general surface. (Below the 2 meter mark it becomes difficult to determine who occupied this level since there is a fairly drastic change in Lithic types and tool manufacture)

I hope this helped, and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask (although I can't promise that I can answer every question completely)
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splendid.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    ***UPDATE: 9/09/2009***

It seems that the professor running the dig I was on has finally taken sediment samples collected from the site to be date-tested.
    As such, news of the age of the tool being highlighted (Hand-Axe) is now 900,000 years old, when it was previously estimated to be 800,000 years old.
    This is truly fantastic news since this tool pre-dates the previous oldest hand-axe in Europe by 400,000 - 500,000 years!

"NATURE" article

Just thought I'd give you all some mor info image
  • Options
    are you asking for an addendum to the acknowledgements?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty amazing news. Thanks for the update!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file