Home Precious Metals
Options

Okay, Panda set in hand, it has.. PICS INCLUDED

1982 1/10 oz. gold panda (proof)
1994 1/10 oz. platnium panda (proof)
2004 1/4 oz. palladium panda (proof)
1989 1 oz. silver panda (proof)

The coins are very nice and my first pandas, are any of these tougher coins as I am having a hard time locating mintages and prices on these. The set is in a blue velvet box, with a certificate that says The Commemorative Palladium Coin of Chinese Panda 2004- No. 007727.

Any help on value and mintages would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    If its labeled 2004, why are their other years in it? The grammar is very poor, I wonder if these are fakes.........
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    No they are legit sets
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1 oz Silver and the 1/10 oz Gold and the 1/10 Platinum coins are BU not proof. I haven't studied Palladium Panda's but I don't think it is a Proof either.

The 1982 1/10 oz Gold had a mintage of 77,598 pcs.

The 1989 1 oz Silver mintage was 255,000 pcs.

The 1994 1/10 oz Platinum mintage was 2500 pcs

There were no proof 1982 1/10 oz Panda's and if the 1989 1 oz Silver was a proof it would a P with a circle around it on the Panda side which is actually the reverse. The temple side is the obverse.

It is confusing as BU Panda's have a Proof-like appearance but are not considered as Proof's.

To confuse you even more most of the years of Proof Panda's have the circled P on the reverse but some years don't. image

Prices vary widely on these coins from a low of spot to whatever the market will bear. The 1982 1/10 oz usually brings a nice premium and sometimes double spot. I know I have about $240 in my PCGS MS69 example. The 1994 Platinum should bring a large premium also. If I recall correctly the last one I saw on eBay had a HUGE price tag on it but I don't recall exactly what it was? The 1989 silver is common and sells for $20 - $40 raw.

Get them in PCGS MS69 holders and the prices go UP!!!!!

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The certificate says the palladium coin is a half ounce.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    texasnationals, is the pallad 1/4 or 1/2 oz? If its 1/4 oz, then I think there is a discrepancy as the cert says its 1/2 oz.......

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    This is NOT a set issued by the China Mint (it may not even be a set put together by Panda America). I have a hunch that this was put together by a collector who put them in Air Tites then ordered an Air Tite blue velvet steel case with custom cut-outs. The certificate is only for the palladium coin because it is a limited maximum issue of 8000. The rest, (as stated) are NOT proof (China Mint likes to call them PL - proof-like).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Do any of the coins carry any numismatic value? Thanks for leting me know that they are UNC and not proof!

J
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to someone's list of key date pandas: ===> clickable link
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i have been poisoned to anything bullion wise from china. once bitten
    twice shy. everything from them looks fake to me now days knowing
    the can fake every part of a coin, the cert, case, and etc...
  • Options
    I still don't know why texasnationals hasn't addressed why the pallad is 1/4 but the cert says 1/2. Chinese fakes are known for grammatical errors, look at the fake silver set FC bought. Things didn't add up when he compared the bar to the cert as there was different weights. This set is suspect.........I hope you look into it before selling to someone else.

• Options
    mkman123

Look at my original post, I edited it as I accidentially put 1/4 instead of 1/2 oz.
  • Options
    I bought it from a bullion dealer, I know it is legit, they were put together by some commericial company hence the different dates. I never said the chinese gov't put it together? Where did you get resale from? I asked about values of the dates, what are you implying?? Read tool!
  • Options
    I still see 1/4 on the very top post. Perhaps edit that.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still see 1/4 on the very top post. Perhaps edit that. >>

tool? i also see 1/4 ounce on the very first post, line 3, and the cert
    says 1/2.

mkman123... this is what i call the denial stage. when a person does
    not want to think they have been ripped off and are still hopeful the
    chinese crap is real. image

• Options

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I bought it from a bullion dealer, I know it is legit, they were put together by some commericial company hence the different dates. I never said the chinese gov't put it together? Where did you get resale from? I asked about values of the dates, what are you implying?? Read tool! >>

This is why I refuse to help this idiot. I strongly suggest the rest of you follow suit. This guy is persona non grata.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of the text in the first post...

Based on the size of the coin in the picture:

That does appear to be a 1/2 ounce palladium coin, not a 1/4 ounce one.

I am no expert on these, but I think they are bullion value only.

The original coins did not come in black-ringed air-tites. This is not really a 'set' as much as it is four coins, in airtites, in a box, with one certificate for one of the coins.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Regardless of the text in the first post...

Based on the size of the coin in the picture:

That does appear to be a 1/2 ounce palladium coin, not a 1/4 ounce one.

I am no expert on these, but I think they are bullion value only.

The original coins did not come in black-ringed air-tites. This is not really a 'set' as much as it is four coins, in airtites, in a box, with one certificate for one of the coins. >>

The 1 oz silver panada is one of the oldest and not easy to find. This will bring a premium, check Ebay for recent sales.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV