Home U.S. Coin Forum

Come on...... We all have one ...... Post a coin that you paid "Moon Money" for. (for some

Here is mine. Its a MS 64 and for some reason I just had to have it. 3 years later still no regrets. And yes it looks better in hand

Comments

• (I'm more than a month behind with photographs )

over the past several months I've been buying a number of really sharp commems at presumed attractive prices from several sources (including BST- bunches in fact) .....until I've seen the results of recent auctions... yikes! ....

many of the coins out there have been unappealing, to me at least;

I like what I've gotten (price vs quality vs grade), but it looks like I've paid up for some really nice coins, relative to recent transactions .....

so, while it may not be "moon money", the sheer volume of activity puts me in high earth orbit, perhaps...

that being said, several are going out for regrading.
    WILL WORK FOR CENTS, QUARTERS, HALVES, DOLLARS....

1879-O{Rev}: 1st coin of my "secret set"
    imagemy eBay
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    This one:

image .. image

A very nice coin but only an MS64.

Wait..........is this the "Moon Money" thread or the "stupid money" thread?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1964 peace dollar but I cannot show you guys a pic imageimageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It's darkside, but I'm pretty sure I set a new record for a Edw. VII halfpenny. It's the only one graded 66 in the whole series.

• RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>It's darkside, but I'm pretty sure I set a new record for a Edw. VII halfpenny. It's the only one graded 66 in the whole series.

image >>

And triple clipped to boot! image
    imageRIP

• << <i>This one:

image .. image

Wait..........is this the "Moon Money" thread or the "stupid money" thread? >>

I thought i had found the type II in a pile of spare change at my grandma's... but no such luck. Just a type 1. I'll be on the look out for those now... maybe I'll cherrypick one!
    1887 P Morgans Please!!!
    My collections!!!! : : Photos

My new VAMmer facebook group! : Silver Dollar VAMmers
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's darkside, but I'm pretty sure I set a new record for a Edw. VII halfpenny. It's the only one graded 66 in the whole series.

image >>

And triple clipped to boot! image >>

Looks like a quad clip actually...image
  • PQTypePQType Posts: 471

<< <i>Wait..........is this the "Moon Money" thread or the "stupid money" thread? >>

OUCH!

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Not sure about MOON money, but I definitely paid very STRONG money for this, but I love it, so it's okay.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please define moon money
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    the op might disagree but to me moon money is paying X amount for a coin when others could be had for half or 25 percent.

"you love it but you know there is no way you will get that money out of it."
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mean reached for a coin, then yes...... guilty as charged and happy as a clam

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

Looks like a quad clip actually...

LOL, I don't know if I'll ever learn to like photos in the pronged slabs.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This one:

image .. image

Wait..........is this the "Moon Money" thread or the "stupid money" thread? >>

I thought i had found the type II in a pile of spare change at my grandma's... but no such luck. Just a type 1. I'll be on the look out for those now... maybe I'll cherrypick one! >>

If you can't find one, I'll be happy to let you pay "Moon Money" for one of my spares! image

Or if you prefer, you can pay "Stupid Money" for this one?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    But, but....I paid stupid money for all of my coins.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

<< <i>Please define moon money >>

Whatever coin you feel you paid a premium or a high premium to acquire. For each of us it is different, I for one do not think an extra $25 for a $100 coin overpaying if it a coin that I will enjoy owning. I guess "Moon Money" is what ever a collector thinks it is for them.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Moon Money

Moon River

Shine on Harvest Moon

Moon Mullen

Moonshine

Moon Struck

Mooned from a moving car

Moon Landing

Moon over Miami

Blue Moon

Moon Beam

New Moon

Eclipsed Moon
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Not "moon" money, but I just paid pretty strongly for this in the last Heritage Auction. Now that I have it in-hand, it was well worth it! I feel it is a lock 55 and shot 58 if re-submitted. However, I like the way the green bean sticker looks against the old green PCGS label background....

....and here's the link to my thread from a week and a half ago regarding this coin.

imageimage

my thread from a week and a half ago
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

• << <i>

If you can't find one, I'll be happy to let you pay "Moon Money" for one of my spares! image

Or if you prefer, you can pay "Stupid Money" for this one?? image >>

Ha... only if i had $450 for it... naw i'm fine with the proof collection I have so far. of the Ike dollars.. but did not pay "moon money" for the "moon dollars" most i paid was for a PR69 1973 silver
    1887 P Morgans Please!!!

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid very strong premiums for these two puppies, but I absolutely love them!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • if a trip to the moon were cheap everybody would take one. Tradedollarnut had the single most beautiful T$1 I've ever seen.
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    You didn't say that it had to be a "Full Moon" lol

Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have paid too much money for a properly graded coin, and paid too much money for imo, an overgraded coin. But I've never paid moon money for anything, nor do I plan to do so.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN- is that one being displayed at the ANA? It is rediculous!!

Moon money is a relative term for people. This is not moon money for most, but the weekend I bought it I should not have been buying coins, but you know how that goes. paid strong for it, worth it all.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Could have gotten one of these for a little more than 1/2 of what I paid. I like it though.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image .. image

It's money, and it has The Moon on the reverseimage

Steve
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Paid over one and a half times as much for mine than this one is listed for.

But I still don't consider it moon money. Try finding a nicer 1851 (for sale) for cheaper. image

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    It wasn't probably moon money, but definitely strong money at the time when I bought this. PCGS PR64RB.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
    Here's another one I definitely paid moon money for!

1916 MPL PCGS PF65 BN

And one last one that was quite expensive, close to moon money, but the violet magenta blue blast mirrors just got to me! The mirrors truly are perfectly crisp, clear and bright but that brightness was doesn't show up well in a photo. This is one of the pretties proofs I've seen, really.

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Not sure it was moon money but it was a significant premium:

Great Coins,Great Comments, I love this place.... thanks for making my day everyone.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Here is another, just a small premium but definitely one I would not nickel and dime the dealer as there is so much crud that has been dipped cleaned etc in the same grade.

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Not a coin but fought hard for this AU example.

imageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • here is my "moon money" also the most I've paid for a coin so far... so a double ententre if you will...

imageimage

... not the best pics... but its with my phone so not bad right?

1887 P Morgans Please!!!

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
  • howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    I paid very strong money for this coin:

Note: I don't mean I paid strong money for another example of this variety. I mean I paid strong money for the actual coin pictured on the cover of the book.
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭
    Truly an excellent thread! Thanks everyone for the phenomenal photos!

Larry

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just need to release here.

Earler this week, I bid $380 on a coin that should sell for about $250. I thought that would surely be enough but was outbid, with the high bidder(s) at $430.

So I put in a "nucular" bid and now have it at over $575 with a couple of days left, and room for my proxy. Obviously, I want the coin and I'm going to lay an egg if I'm outbid....both due to the relief that I'll feel over getting out of this, and the fact that I know I'll have to reach even more.

OK, I really don't feel better. Uggg.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not quite moon money, but a little more than lunch money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file