Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I appreciate your thoughts/grade on this raw 1918 s Walker?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
Photography by COINPICTURES.....

imageimage
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minimum of AU58, probable MS61 or 62 from a technical standpoint.....I'd have to see it in hand to refine this, and to ensure it's not 'crusty' to the point of having environmental damage though.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU, but not 58. Too many little nicks on the rim to merit a 58.

Eye-appeal on the obverse is negative due to the splotchy toning.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    PVC/environmental damage
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    AU50, its been spent a few times, love it none the less. give it the old solvent bath.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    Body bag- Corrosion, PVC, and environmental damage-

This is not a tough coin in AU+ If you paid strong money for it return it- If you paid silver value for it- Soak it in acetone for 12 hours then mineral oil for 6 months and you may have a "decent" coin. But regardless it is an enviromentally damaged coin.

John
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to have a few 18S's that looked like that for silver melt fer sure.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to be critical. I think with the wear on the front skirt, she'll be judged at XF45, but imagine what she has paid for in the early 20th century.
    Paul
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Crusty AU53
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Crusty 53-55. Impossible to tell if that's 'environmental damage" from the pic. It might be, it might not be.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    45, no sticker. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    There is little if any actual 'wear' on this coin. To be sure, she has other faults. But if anyone has pre-1930 walkers with 'wear' like this that they are willing to sell as XF and AU50's, please let me know!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see crust and gunk but no pvc or environmental damage.... would dip out really nice... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Hard to tell how much wear is on the coin but since i don't see much luster i'll be conservative and says it's an XF45 with an interesting personality.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    ef 45
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that there is an AU sharpness coin under there, but the trouble is you have spotting and other problems that are going to make it candidate for a body bag. I wish I say something more encouraging.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    an 18-S is among the last 5 I need for my complete set. I have a raw one, but, ugh. You see? It's easy to admit.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    ditto on the 45 opinions. Looks like luster is gone.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>There is little if any actual 'wear' on this coin. To be sure, she has other faults. But if anyone has pre-1930 walkers with 'wear' like this that they are willing to sell as XF and AU50's, please let me know! >>

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the pictures show me a coin which looks AU55, but that just judges the picture. what appears to be PVC residue, missed by some, seems most prevalent on the obverse to either side of Liberty's head, but i assume there is probably more. the tone looks to be too heavy/long term to be easily dealt with. if the coin is Mint State, as an in-hand assessment might tell us it is, then i would suggest it is as good a candidate as any for conservation at NCS.

they should be able to resolve the problems it has while preserving the luster.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice AU coin for a AU album.
    Clean head, breast and arm!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The luster, if there, is very subdued. The rim is pretty chewed up also. I'm in the xf45 crowd on this one as I do think I see some wear and if the luster is nearly gone, it can't be higher than that for me....maybe that's why I don't buy many old Walkers? LOL
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a correct dip would leave some noticable blotches, especially on the obverse.

This coin leaves me to believe that it was not in a collectors hands for the first few decades of it's life.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    EF
  • Options
    I appreciate all your comments but I am going to go with Walkerguy 21D on this one.

I will submit it to pcgs and let you know what they think.

Thanks,

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a really nice XF to me. Most people will say AU because
    the wear is light enough for AU but I won't because the coin appears
    to have suffered wear twice; extensively before it spotted and then
    lightly later.

I prefer to price coins like this at strong XF money rather than weak
    AU money. Sometimes it makes a big difference and this is one of
    them.

Of course if all that dipped out it could be a really nice AU under there.
    I don't believe it will.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is AU53. Looks really nice.
  • Options
    Sending you a PM....
  • Options
    Looks AU53-55-ish to me in wear (weak 'S' mint strike to boot?) and I don't see any luster (though prolly the image). I would never dip a non-MS coin, but this one would benefit from an acetone soak. Bottom line: A little too crusty for my tastes.

Cartwheel
  • Options
    If I do not catch pictures early on, I many times will just sit back and read the replies. Most of the time the guys are right on top of things. They do a nice job overall and you folks should be proud of yourselves.

But, I wanted to add a couple of things that were not mentioned about this half dollar.

One is that there does appear to be hairlines in the reverse field to the left of the Eagle's head. That "ALWAYS" bothers me.

Second, while I agree that the obverse of the coin is an AU, I simply don't like it as much as the reverse.

Thirdly, no one has mentioned the chatter in the obverse field above the "IN" of the motto.

Some have questioned the toning and well they should. Although I love almost any old toning on an old "early" dated Walker, I think that this toning could be a definite problem. It almost looks to me as if the coin could have spent some time in the ground. But, in any event, that spotty and splotchy toning could, for certain, get this coin into a "genuine" holder at PCGS.

Naturally, an in hand inspection of the coin could clear up some of this. It certainly would be worthwhile to see it with one's own eyes. But I have a feeling there are some definite "underlying" problems with this piece. The kind of problems that may not be easily fixable---or fixable at all---I'm sorry to say. Just my very humble opinion of course. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    Damn...came back genuine......cleaned??

None of us got that right especially me.... I need to have my eyes exmained if that coin is cleaned!

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade

1 1 15735255 6576 1918-S 50C US Genuine (92 - Cleaned)

• Options
    Cleaned? I think PCGS bailed out on this one.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there are some hairlines in the left obverse field which would "no-grade" the coin.

If I am wrong, then AU53.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- 1 1 15735255 6576 1918-S 50C US Genuine (92 - Cleaned) --

Bidask -- You're reading that wrong. It's not a report of what's wrong with the coin; it's a recommendation of what needs to be done. image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU53 or 55
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like there are some hairlines in the left obverse field which would "no-grade" the coin.

If I am wrong, then AU53. >>

Oops, did not notice this was a bumped old thread. Looks like my first guess was correct. image
  • Options
    Wanr ro make sure you guys saw this......it came back today from pcgs as genuine/cleaned .

Cleaned?? Does this coin looked cleaned?

1 1 15735255 6576 1918-S 50C US Genuine (92 - Cleaned)

• Options
    I certainly would not have guessed cleaned. I would not have been shocked to hear that it came back in a GEN holder for Environmental Damage though.
  • Options

<< <i>Wanr ro make sure you guys saw this......it came back today from pcgs as genuine/cleaned .

Cleaned?? Does this coin looked cleaned? >>

From THAT image no, it does not. But if it has very fine harilines, they may not show up in an image. Try looking at the coin under a halogen light in a dark room and tilt the coin in several directions -- if it has very fine hairlines, they should show up. If you don't see any hairlines (or only see 2 or 3) then try NGC or even re-try PCGS.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I did not see this until a few rounds of responses went up and I felt cleaned and partial retoning....Skin stripped to some agree with the cleaning then retoned partially. I have seen a number of similar coins. I would have BB'd it and also feel it not that attractive (IMO) though not that much net wear as has been stated.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file