Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL-----What should I do to make the old guy 1901-S Barber Quarter deal right??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
There just seems to be so many answers and so, so much good advice, I thought I'd ask.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put up a sign with a disclaimer that you check all purchases more thoroughly after
    the fact. Something along the lines of "we buy junk and anything else but reserve
    the right to find "anything else" later. image

We also sell junk. If you find "anything else" in it we don't want to know.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    "Hope that he comes back, then tell him about the rip AFTER you buy his coins!! "

Made me LOL.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    if i were you, i would have kept that in a SECOND and told no one. then i would get it certified
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Find the guy and offer to split profits 50-50. I have my doubts you will attempt to do this, and would love to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    I get the idea that there is definately a mischievous little boy inside the man when it comes to you image

I see no answer in your poll that fits my suggestion... but keeping with the spirit of the thread I started, my best advice was already shared with you via PM...

Good luck with this thread and I hope you have fun...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    <<if i were you, i would have kept that in a SECOND and told no one. then i would get it certified >>

& that says quite abit about you as a person.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

I don't have much more to add.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know the story here, but sounds like you bought some junk silver and found a 1901-s quarter in it. If this is the case you don't owe him a thing. A person should know what he is selling.
  • Options

<< <i><<if i were you, i would have kept that in a SECOND and told no one. then i would get it certified >>

& that says quite abit about you as a person. >>

Ya know, yer gittin' to be a real ass. image
  • Options
    Doing the right thing is so passe.
  • Options

<< <i><<if i were you, i would have kept that in a SECOND and told no one. then i would get it certified >>

& that says quite abit about you as a person. >>

it says i look after myself and win
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people bring coins into Coin stores they expect you to have the know what coins are worth.
    To use oh we're just buying Junk silver doesn't cut it.
    Many people have no idea what their coins are worth.
    It's your job to tell them a fair amount.
    You take the time to look them over.
    No one is that busy, if you are you need more help.
    You've ripped an old man out of his rightful reward.
    Find him and pay him accordingly is the only correct answer.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Find the guy and offer to split profits 50-50. I have my doubts you will attempt to do this, and would love to be proven wrong. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Agree STRONGLY with Smittys, elwood and others. Nice to know some won't seek to justify things they know to be wrong for the sake of making a "score."
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    Use it as a learning experience and try to keep a better eye out for key dates....

Open your own coin shop.. Because you seem to have an "eye" for finding key dates
    after the fact.... Why split your windfall with someone else...

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did nothing wrong, the deal was already done nothing more needs to be done
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do whatever Al H. usually does
  • Options
    as i said in the last post on this , you did nothing wrong, when do people start to take responsibility for them.

if i find i high price Vam morgan at a dealers table, i don't tell him i buy it , send it in to pcgs, and sell it or keep it. am i suposed to help the dealer learn about vams???? no....

if a guy comes in and dumps 6 coffee cans of mercury dimes and is selling for melt, should the dealer call him and tell him that he spent 5 hours looking all of them over and found many 21's , come back for a check !!!! get real people and do your homework.

with that said.... if a man walks into a store with a 1889 cc morgan in AU condition and a dealer offers a common morgan price than i would be the first to say tar and feather him !!!!

BUT this is not what happen here.... sell in bulk to your chances !!!!!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There just seems to be so many answers and so, so much good advice, I thought I'd ask.

Al H. >>

Is it your call Al? What is your employer's position? Has he been following this debate?
    My position: give your best effort to reconnect with the seller, inform him of your find and offer to share a respectable percentage of the proceeds from selling the piece in the sincere belief that your honesty and goodwill will benefit your business in more ways than the one time profit margin from the sale of that particular coin. Perhaps it would be better to have faith in the possibility that the old man who unwittingly sacrificed a rare coin may very well have more and better, or that his words and deeds would spread the word about the integrity of your business should you decide to make him whole.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>if i were you, i would have kept that in a SECOND and told no one. then i would get it certified >>

I'm not sure if you're being dumb to make this post or just being truthful to admit you're dishonest but I'm sure you wouldn't be the only forum member to do this.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if i were you, i would have kept that in a SECOND and told no one. then i would get it certified >>

Do you regularly steal from you employer as well?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Doing the right thing is so passe. >>

People forget that whomever this guy was he neither took the time nor effort to look at what he had.

Now heres a question for all the johnny do goods on the board here?

HAVE YOU EVER SENT AN EBAY SELLER MORE MONEY WHEN YOU BOUGHT SOMETHING FOR FAR LESS THAN IT SHOULD HAVE SOLD FOR? No matter the reason if they had mispelled something/ mislabelled it etc.

Ok those of you who cant say they have done this or regularly do it please step aside and be quiet.

Now how many of you regularly message sellers who have messed something up in their auction and HAVE never taken advantage of something theyve seen this way please step aside.

How many of you will always point out a rare variety or mismarked coin to a dealer on the bourse floor? Those of you who wont or havent always done this please step aside.

Now realize the irony in that while you wont do it for someone who actually put some effort and time into placing things out for your sale & benefit, you beleive that those same individuals should always do it for even the most slovenly heirs to coin collections that come in the door.

If i'm getting 9.2x face for silver, you want me to pay 9.19x and go through every piece. Yeah right.
    You get 8.2 for under a hundred face and 8.7 for over 100 face in 90%.

Coin dealers are not subsidized by the local, state , or federal governments and have to make enough money to stay in business and pay themselves a salary.
    Those of you whom most of your subsistence is from state/federal assistance can now step aside also.

The rest of you god bless you since your a better man than 99.9% of the world. I'm happy to fgure myself in the top 5% morally and thats as close as we can get in this business without having people take advantage of you too often and ending up living under a bridge with the other homeless thuds.......
  • Options

<< <i>

Do you regularly steal from you employer as well? >>

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    While the seller should be responsible for his actions, I don't think that they should lose all rights to the windfall.

I'd hope that if faced with the same situation, I would find a way to contact the man and share some of the windfall with him.

To me, that's just the right thing to do.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Just wanted to qualify the govt subsidence statement. I mean those of you who probably have no clue how to run a business, or what it takes and have lived off ssi etc for most of their lives.

Not that all people on assistance are dumb etc. Just seems like quite a few jump on a moral high horse when it comes to anything perceived as big business.
  • Options
    <<Hope that he comes back and give him what you sell the coin for minus 15%(yeah, yeah, that's the ticket).>>

I voted for that.

Its fair, its honest, its just. Not only that, its whats right.

You made a buy on some coins, and the seller got the shaft, even if it wasnt intentional. You didnt do anything wrong, not in my eyes anyway. But, if he ever came back, how you handle that situation would be very telling of what type of person you are. I for one think you would do the right thing.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choice numero uno...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    <<Ya know, yer gittin' to be a real ass>>

Thanks. Its funny though, you seem to do alot of name calling...
    Im an ass for saying it shows what kind of person that poster is by taking a coin from his boss and stealing it for the profit?

• Options

<< <i>When people bring coins into Coin stores they expect you to have the know what coins are worth.
    Find him and pay him accordingly is the only correct answer. >>

I am going to have to agree with this post. People go to coin stores and many other stores to sell items. Often they have no idea of the value and are counting on you as the store owner or what not to be honest with them and let them know what they have. Technically you did nothing wrong other then not knowing what the heck you are doing. Its one thing to buy at grey sheet or something its another to rip a coin worth 5 or 6 k for melt value. The right thing to do is to track down the seller and let him know you made a mistake. Tracking down the seller would say alot about you and the store you work in although I doubt this is the route you will take.

P.s Who is the guy you work for that thought it was such a great thing to rip that coin like that? I just want to know so I never buy from them image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When people bring coins into Coin stores they expect you to have the know what coins are worth.
    Find him and pay him accordingly is the only correct answer. >>

Smitty's right on.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I did not see my choice upthere. It would be funny if some smart a$$ started putting signs up about the rip around the area your store is in or in local free greensheets, and other publications. I doubt your boss likes this being spewed all over the net cause it either sounds like the store is out for rips are the employess are dumb.

I doubt there are many here buying coins on SSI or whatever the correct name is for it.

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>

Do you regularly steal from you employer as well? >>

Not sure who was stealing from whom. Sounds like the dealer was inadvertantly stealing from the unknowledgeable seller. I'm sure it was unintentional but an honest dealer would give the seller some additional compensation if he ever came back to the store.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    you did nothing wrong al

how to proceed is in your gutt...let that guide ya

do you even know it's the real deal yet?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ahhhh...what the heck...

I'm gonna bring up some questions that have been bugging me since the "original 1901-S thread" got started...

For those of us who like to go to the bank and buy rolls to search for silver... now, I think we can safely assume, anyone who deos this is a somewhat knowledgeable collector...and the purpose, in plain language, when someone buys and searches these rolls, is to capitalize on someone else's ignorance.

When you find a bunch of rolls filled with 40% or 90%, do you feel some kind of obligation to somehow try to find the person who turned the coins into the bank?

Are you a member of a coin club or the ANA? Do you feel an obligation to take out an ad in the local paper to try and either locate this person or educate your neighbors regarding the true value of the coins they might just turn in for face value?

Where exactly, do we draw a line?

Please don't give the knee-jerk reply of "well, the B&M is a professional operation...yada yada"... if you are ethical and especially if you are a member of the ANA, should it be OK to "take advantage" of the numismatically ignorant (people who are not educated)?

Just curious...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    There's a huge difference between buying a large quantity of junk silver that happens to have a key date in it and knowingly buying a key date for the silver value. Al, you did nothing wrong.

Now, if the customer was a regular who comes in all the time, you should mention it to him, but chances are you'll never see the guy again. That's not your fault.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you say and what you do are often two different things. I personally feel that when somebody offers you a can of junk silver, you evaluate the deal in very short terms. When somebody offers you a can of junk silver and asks you to search it for premium items, the nature of the deal changes. Fruitless hours spent searching for key dates are non-recoverable. That's all part of the equation. If the seller is willing to take the short deal, then that's it. If the seller wants to negotiate the cost of a treasure hunt into the sell price, then you probably owe him the fruits of the find. Otherwise, it's yours.

NOW, what's interesting about finding a 1901-s quarter in a pile of junk is that it probably came out of a set that was eventually dumped into the pile. Maybe you should spend a little more time searching for the rest of the keys.

JMHO
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While the seller should be responsible for his actions, I don't think that they should lose all rights to the windfall.

I'd hope that if faced with the same situation, I would find a way to contact the man and share some of the windfall with him.

To me, that's just the right thing to do. >>

As I think about this, here's another perspective reinforcing the above:

If I were a seller of junk silver and was given the choice between two coin dealers, one that would let me know I had a 1901-S quarter in my junk and one that would not, I would pick the former every time, even if their rates were less favorable.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I would like to add this... As a person interested in coins I have made it my "duty" to educate myself.

Before joining these boards I would have sold a 1901-S for melt in a heartbeat...

I didn't know what a "key" date coin was.. And I had no interest in knowing. I think that is the
    case with a lot of "old folks." They have probably saved this from circulation knowing that it was
    silver.. I am sure the majority of "old people" that have 90% stashed away have no clue as to the
    Numismatic value of some of the coins...

I feel that is where the coin dealer comes in. These people "trust" they will be treated fairly when
    they come in. I would bet you a thousand bucks had Keets told this guy that there was a possibility
    that he might have some key dates and suggest he "look them over" before he sold them. He would have
    done it..

If at that time he "chose" not to further investigate what he had and just wanted to sell "as is" then
    that would be a different story..

Case in point.. My grandmother was born in 1921. Last year my mom and myself pitched in and bought her a
    1921about AU Morgan and Peace dollar as a birth year souvenir..
    When we went to see her last month she had her neighbor drill a hole in the Peace dollar image
    to wear around her neck to show her friends at Bingo night... The Peace dollar seemed to remind her of an Angel more than the Morgan..

Yes it was my fault for not informing her of the value. But it didn't dawn on me until later that the majority
    of the population could careless what a "key date" coin is....

You go to "professionals" in every line of business and TRUST that you will be given honest advice and treated
    fairly... E.O.M

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A different question comes to mind:

What if the seller of the 01-S quarter was a repeat customer -- bringing in a few ounces of junk silver to sell every once in a while. Would the shop just pretend they never found a $5,000 coins in one of those junk silver lots?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>While the seller should be responsible for his actions, I don't think that they should lose all rights to the windfall.

To me, that's just the right thing to do. >>

As I think about this, here's another perspective reinforcing the above:

If I were a seller of junk silver and was given the choice between two coin dealers, one that would let me know I had a 1901-S quarter in my junk and one that would not, I would pick the former every time, even if their rates were less favorable. >>

stick with your first statment , your second is not sooooo good, and heres why, if a seller of junk silver knew there could be key dates in the junk , why not take the time to do some research .

how about all the dealers just ask all sellers to write down all dates of junk silver they want to sell. this way the dealer can let them know if a key date is among them..... THAT WON"T HAPPEN !!!!
    people are lazy and want the "fast food deals"

was at a local shop today, and a woman with thing to sell was there, the dealer , spent time to go through all the morgans with her, but the old bank bag of mercury dimes he put into his counting machine and paid her for them...
    now was he supposed to go through all of them ????

• Options

<< <i>.... but the old bank bag of mercury dimes he put into his counting machine and paid her for them...
    now was he supposed to go through all of them ???? >>

I bet he went through all of them after she left.image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.... but the old bank bag of mercury dimes he put into his counting machine and paid her for them...

I bet he went through all of them after she left.image >>

Bank bag! Think $1000 face 10,000 dimes. You go through it in one sitting. Figure your store will be gone in 2 months tops.
    Youll be broke and blind.
    $100 face is still a pain.
    Going to check for 42/1's and micro s 45's while your at it?
    Bet youre not...........
  • Options

<< <i>

I bet he went through all of them after she left.image >>

He at least should have asked if she wanted to.. I bet he is searching them as we type...image

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    one could just request your telephone records for that day and call
    them all back until you reach the guy.

hmm. yes i work at an isp/telephone company. if you know the general time
    i could track down the call by the call data records... CDRs.

well keets.. there you go. you gonna do it or what?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of questions floating around in between the imagined scenarios, so i cam up with a question and its answer myself. here it is: can anyone tell me the definition of self-righteous??
    -----confident of one's own righteousness, esp. when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.

there now, this thread is really educational at last!!image
  • Options
    I don't worry about any brickbats that might be thrown my way if I see something I believe to be wrong, and speak up about it. image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Had you taken down the old guy's contact info, would you have contacted him?
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

Still nothing to add, but your threads have been good reads lately.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets, as with all things in life, the answer to your question is simple....."What would Mark Feld do?" image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file