Home Precious Metals
Options

Degussa...***UPDATED WITH NEWPS***

Was unsuccessful in my recent attempt to negotiate a fair price on the 100 gram gold bar. Would love to have it, it would be the "crown jewel" of my bullion collection, but at $600 over melt....not gonna happen. I was going to offer 10% over melt, which is more than fair on such a large chunk, but I was stonewalled by a receptionist who insisted on being a liason between me and the shop/store owner (I called them). Oh well.

Magnificent!

I'll just have to continue to grow my mini bar collection for now I spose.

Comments

• Options
    Try calling a few min. after 5pm.

Sometimes the "help" is gone but the owner/decision maker is still in.

Another method is to E-mail them with your offer.

Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, so now I know to charge you 10% over when I sell you the next one!!!!!!!!!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Try calling a few min. after 5pm.

Another method is to E-mail them with your offer. >>

I'll remember that cool tip for next time. But I wont keep "bothering" these guys over this particular bar. I made an effort, and was shutout. I just think that melt + $600 is a bit excessive on this type of bar. With some patience, I will eventually come across the same one at maybe 3-5% over melt. I have alot of years still ahead of me! (hopefully).
  • Options

<< <i>Ah, so now I know to charge you 10% over when I sell you the next one!!!!!!!!!
    TD >>

The 1st one was a gift Tom, the 2nd one was about 7-8% over....the next ones can be 10%....im fine with that.image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay has one up for sale.....perhaps you can cut a deal with them?

ebay linky
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>eBay has one up for sale.....perhaps you can cut a deal with them?

ebay linky >>

Guess you didnt click my link.
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    There is also a 50g bar and I believe I've seen a 5g bar as well.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>

ebay linky >>

Guess you didnt click my link. >>

Ooops me bad, but I thought you went to a B&M Store. I had no idea that this item is also for sale on eBay. You are going to have a difficult time in finding one at spot +10% ... I haven't seen one go that cheap.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

ebay linky >>

Guess you didnt click my link. >>

Ooops me bad, but I thought you went to a B&M Store. I had no idea that this item is also for sale on eBay. You are going to have a difficult time in finding one at spot +10% ... I haven't seen one go that cheap. >>

How do you consider +10% to be cheap? Based upon my 25 years in the retail end of this business, I have always considered Degussa bars to be a cute but second tier product. THat is why I sold Gecko a beatup one at melt.
    If I had a 100 gram bar in stock I would price it at +$45/oz. in the store and do a fist pump and go "YESSSSSS!" if I got that.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

If I had a 100 gram bar in stock I would price it at +$45/oz. in the store and do a fist pump and go "YESSSSSS!" if I got that. >>

Find me a decent 100g bar and I'll gladly pay you +$50/oz....image
  • Options

<< <i>If I had a 100 gram bar in stock I would price it at +$45/oz. in the store and do a fist pump and go "YESSSSSS!" if I got that. >>

Find me a decent 100g bar and I'll gladly pay you +$50/oz....image >>

+$90/oz here. Im comfortable at 10%.image
  • Options
    +$21 @CNI for pamp

Wonder if I will see the $93 difference from OPA?
  • Options

<< <i>+$21 @CNI for pamp

Wonder if I will see the $93 difference from OPA? >>

Not interested in Pamp or Credit Suisse...they are easily obtainable.

You'll need to read the entire thread before making a comment. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>+$21 @CNI for pamp

Wonder if I will see the $93 difference from OPA? >>

Not interested in Pamp or Credit Suisse...they are easily obtainable.

You'll need to read the entire thread before making a comment. image >>

The 100 gram PAMP poured bars can be ordered by the DOZENS from a few large bullion outlets. The Degussa 100 gram "brick" bar linked above is seldom seen. But even Mr. OPA would agree, I think, that +$200/oz is even excessive for this bar!
  • Options
    PM sent.
  • Options
    I just got a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling all over.image

Tom over at HJB is top notch!
  • Options
    BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAH!

• Options

<< <i>BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAH!

image >>

How come I didn't get a PM?image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAH!

image >>

How come I didn't get a PM?image >>

Cuz I was the highest bidder!image
  • Options

<< <i>But even Mr. OPA would agree, I think, that +$200/oz is even excessive for this bar! >>

Absolutely ...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAH!

image >>

Cuz I was the highest bidder!image >>

Whut he sedd........
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shameless plug: All of HJB's folks I've dealt with are top notch.
    <--S'where my icon came from. And Harlan is the man on Lydian coinage image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAH!

image >>

Whut he sedd........ >>

As the saying goes..."money talks, bs walks" ( but I would have paid via cash not by cc )image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Try calling a few min. after 5pm. As soon as gold mania starts I hear people will allmost spend anything for gold bars

Another method is to E-mail them with your offer. >>

I'll remember that cool tip for next time. But I wont keep "bothering" these guys over this particular bar. I made an effort, and was shutout. I just think that melt + $600 is a bit excessive on this type of bar. With some patience, I will eventually come across the same one at maybe 3-5% over melt. I have alot of years still ahead of me! (hopefully). >>

Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAH!

image >>

Whut he sedd........ >>

As the saying goes..."money talks, bs walks" ( but I would have paid via cash not by cc )image >>

I'll be paying in person at the store in $100 bills FYI.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I'll be paying in person at the store in $100 bills FYI.
    image >>

The Chicago Way!!!!!!

• Options
    What is the proper way to address a Chicago Alderman?

"Will the defendent please rise!"

• Options
    ttt

so that Gecko can find it easily.........
  • Options

Pictures to follow soon.....must....get....sleep!
  • Options
    <Homer Simpson voice>: DOOOO ITTTTT!!!!!!
  • Options
    400 ounce London good delivery bar??? I wish! But it sure has that look about it. Thanks to Tom Delorey at Harlan J. Berk (downtown Chicago) for helping me to aquire these 2 fantastic pieces of gold bullion. I also was able to put my grubby hands on a PAMP 1 Kg gold bar while I was there....very impressive!! I better start saving my pennies for that one.

And finally, a family photo!

• Options
    Build a pyramid, 100 grammer face down on the bottom!!!!
  • Options
    Interesting family Gecko ... are the kids boys or girls....I can't tell by the pictures.... The adults kept their "shape" over the years. imageimage
  • Options
    Am looking for a 12.5 Kilo bar to go with these........

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool collection bro.
  • Options

<< <i>Build a pyramid, 100 grammer face down on the bottom!!!!
    image >>

How about the 10g on the bottom and make a flying wedge?
    Or 10 name down,10 up, 50 up, 100 down, 20 down, 10 down would be a diamond on pedestal.
    Pics of both would be cool. Nice collection.
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    Those look like dooky, You don't want those. Go ahead and send em over to me image

Don't go melting them down.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are very cool bars!
  • Options

<< <i>Those look like dooky, You don't want those. Go ahead and send em over to me image

Don't go melting them down. >>

How ironic that you mention the melting part. Nobody but Tom and I know this, but I came across my 1st Degussa bar by chance, a 10g specimen. Tom had PMed me that he had a beat up 10 gram gold bar and that he knew I wanted to experiment with melting gold (as I had done with silver). So he tells me he'll sell this 10 gram bar to me at melt, let me fool around with it, and offered to buy it back from me at 98% of melt if I wasnt happy with the results. It was a no brainer, so I agreed. Got the bar a few days later and was floored by its beauty! I hadnt ever seen a Degussa bar up till that point, but I really loved the dimensions of the bar (not wafer thin like 95% of small gold bars). I have been buying Degussas here and there ever since (including 1 from you)....its a nice diversion from the panda set im building. Anyway, if it werent for my melting adventures Cars, I never would have gotten all these Degussa bars!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puhl informed him of that the SS was about to begin the shipments to the Reichsbank, and that the shipments would contain jewelry and other items of non-monetary gold and silver. However, because of the secrecy needed, the Reichsbank would be responsible for their disposal. Shortly after this meeting, SS-Brigadeführer (brigadier general) informed Thoms that an SS officer named Melmer would deliver the first shipment in a truck. The shipment arrived on August 26, 1942. The tenth delivery, in November 1942, was the first to include dental gold.

The materials were first deposited in the Melmer account. The items were then sorted. Gold and silver bars, as well as currency, were bought by the bank at full value. Small items like wedding rings were sent to the Prussian Mint for re-smelting. Larger jewelry items were sent to the Municipal Pawnshop, which sold the better valued items. The rest of the material was sent on to (Deutsche Gold-und Silber-Scheideanstalt) Degussa for re-smelting. Degussa was allowed to keep a small portion for industrial purposes, but any gold in excess was sold to the Reichsbank and the amount credited to the Melmer account.

Degussa was a large German firm engaged in metal refining and production of chemicals, including Zyklon-B cyanide tablets used in the gas chambers. The Zyklon-B tablets were produced by Degesch, which was owned by Degussa and IG Farben, a chemical concern that was dissolved after the war. Degussa was also the firm that supplied the uranium for the Nazis' atomic bomb project.

Degussa held an exclusive contract with the Nazis for re-smelting items taken from the Jews in the concentration camps, including dental gold. There was so much gold being taken from the victims at Auschwitz that Degussa built a smelter there. According to Oberstrumbannfuhrer Rudoff Hoss, the commandant of Auschwitz, the daily yield of gold at the camp was 24 pounds

More recently, Degussa’s role in nuclear proliferation has been brought to light in the film documentary Stealing the Fire. The filmmakers document the trial of Karl-Heinz Schaab, who was tried for treason in Munich. Schaab is the first person in the world convicted of atomic espionage in an open trial in the last fifty years. He sold top secret documents stolen from Germany to Saddam Hussein, and traveled to Baghdad numerous times to help Iraq build an atomic bomb. Schaab was linked to Degussa and Leybold, a Degussa subsidiary. He received an extremely light sentence upon conviction. He was fined only 100,000 deutsche-marks fine and sentenced to 5 years of probation.

Additionally, in 1990 Degussa was fined $800,000 for illegally re-exporting nuclear weapons-related material to North Korea. The firm was also implicated in exporting poisonous gas to Libya. Degussa was also a large contributor to the election campaign of George W. Bush.
    http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/main.html
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    But they sure make a mean bullion bar!
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    IG Farben wasn't exactly "dissolved" after the war; it was split up and all its parts are still doing business today.

.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Posted a few Degussa bars on BST.
    TD
  • Options
    ttt