Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gettysburg 1938 75th Reunion Medal with program, pics, documents! ,

DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
Guys,
I thought some of you might enjoy this. It's a medal given to my great great grandpappy for serving in the civil war, presented by FDR in 1938. This was the last reunion of the Blue and the Gray, 75 years after Gettysburg. Not many veterans still around at that time; this thing is probably pretty rare. I havent seen another for sale. It is a great treasue to me, and I have all of the papers, rail tickets, and documents associated with this event. I even have the program. You'll take notice that it was kept in the presentation box. It is my understanding that the vets wore these proudly during the 3 day ceremony. Any Civil War guys out there care to comment?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool (and rare)

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    That is very,very cool. I like the medal design too. I've always been a big fan of fasces on coins/medals.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Any idea who designed it? The composition of the lower part is similar to that of the Gettysburg commem.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

Not only a COOL piece of history but, family history as well!
    Can you take some pics of the documents as well?

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    drkilmerdrkilmer Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Brilliant! Thanks for sharing it with us.
  • Options
    I will take more photos of the docs and program. I'll have to post when I return from a vacation next week. I've been meaning to share this for some time now.
    As a veteran myself, I really hold this thing near and dear to me. I think the guy was only 16 or 17 years old when he went off to fight for the union.
    Thanks for the comments so far...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    cool
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a great family heirloom and piece of history. Thanks for sharing!image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice that were able and interested enough to keep it in the family. I have an AG03 Gettysburg and always wondered if it was carried by a veterans grandson.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    That is so cool, thank you for sharing it with us. Do you know which unit he fought with? Or where he was from?
  • Options
    Please please make sure you clearly delineate where that goes when you perish- I know this is macabre but something has special and important as this should stay in your family forever... Please make sure the path of betrothment is clearly laid out... Something like that should be cherished not used as a bargaining block in an estate lawsuit...

I am amazed by this and it is an amazing piece of american history.

AWESOME
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...what a piece of history. Thank you for sharing.........On a side note. Robert E Lee had the most trouble in battles in which was searching for shoes to outfit his army at the same time he was trying to outmanuever the Union. Gettysburg and Antetiem being the most famous. General Lee died in the small town of Lexington, I believe in 1870. When he passed there were great floods in the area which carried the only three unused funeral home caskets away downstream. One of the caskets was eventually found. Only problem, the casket was too short for the six foot tall Lee. Solution? Lee was buried with his shoes off to fit the casket.Irony...............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    WOW is right !!!!

Someone that would _Love to see this is Rafael @ Shiloh Relics

Even though you'd never sell it, you Need to know it's value for insurance purposes...

You could let Rafael appraise it on the "Antiques Roadshow" image
  • Options
    Bump for the 150th anniversary of Lee's surrender at Appomattox.
    Here I am holding the medal given to my great great great grandfather for participation in the American Civil War. In 1938, all the veterans from the North and the South gathered on the battlefield one last time. I believe about 2,000 were invited, and slightly less made the journey. At that point they were all in their 90's!
    PVT. B. Frank Herbert of the 34th NJ Infantry wore this on his lapel that day, and I took it back to the eternal flame 70 years later in tribute.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a DVD or a VHS tape that runs something like 30 to 45 minutes that documented this 75th Gettysburg reunion. It is quite neat. It shows the encampment, which was a group of tents on the battlefield. Meals and medical care were provided to the veterians. Interesting enough one of them did pass on during the event.

I also have a picture of scene with a sigh advertising the sale of the Gettysburg commemorative half dollars.

I really like this medal and it's really neat that you still have to box. To me medals mean more when you have the box that went with them, but they are often tossed for whatever reasons.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>On a side note. Robert E Lee had the most trouble in battles in which was searching for shoes to outfit his army at the same time he was trying to outmanuever the Union. >>

Here is a fact I found about footwear for the Confederacy during the Civil War. The monthly wage for a Confederate private during the Civil War was frozen at $8 in Confederate dollars a month. As the war continued, the value of Confederate currency got lower and lower due to the ravages of inflation. By 1864 the price of a pair of cavalry boots was up $500. That works out to over 5 years' worth of salary!

I get these numbers from a paperback book by Arlie Slabaugh, Confederate States of America Paper Money which was published by Hewitt Brothers in 1964.

Here is $8 Confederate in 1863 bills:

The $1 and $2 bills do not have backs. The $2 note is hard to find nice.

This $5 note had a "sunset" clause attached to it. A year after the date on the red date stamp the piece had to be convered to Confederate bonds, or it was declared worthless. This was an attempt to limit the amount of money in circulation.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread to bump! WOW! Would you mind posting a few pics of the program and other documents please?

Bill, getting that video saved in a digital format and posting it to YouTube would be fascinating for all of us but especially for DCW if you can do it or have someone do it for you.

Amazing piece of history and even better that it is part of your family history! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Here is the program with a few pages from within:
    imageimageimageimageimage
    Some signatures from the old soldiers:
    imageimage
    I'll post some more documents that I have a little later...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely cool piece of history. Thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!!!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Extremely cool piece of history. Thanks for sharing it. >>

agreed image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an amazing piece of American and your family's history. It's a great to have it in the family with all the additional materials. I really like the color cover as well.

I wasn't able to find out who designed this, but I did find these additional pieces for the reunion for attendants and distinguished guests:

Veteran and Attendant: Nelson Brooks and his attendant M.C. Wehle. Nelson's info includes: Regiment Code: 251, Roll ID: 599, and Soldier ID: 168753.

Distinguished Guest

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing historical items!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last of my Civil War ancestors died in 1928. For the rest of his life after the war he stated that he served in the US army but lost his pension number etc.

Fast forward to the 1990s and I am doing genealogy and cannot find his name in any Union army musters. So with a bit of cunning out of frustration I started looking in the Confederate musters and found him and his unit. I guess it was hard to collect a Union pension when you served in the Confederate army. And generations of his descendants grew up believing he served in the US army and it is even so noted on his grave marker. 150 years later it is a bit funny to think about, but I am sure then it made perfect sense.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>The last of my Civil War ancestors died in 1928. For the rest of his life after the war he stated that he served in the US army but lost his pension number etc.

Fast forward to the 1990s and I am doing genealogy and cannot find his name in any Union army musters. So with a bit of cunning out of frustration I started looking in the Confederate musters and found him and his unit. I guess it was hard to collect a Union pension when you served in the Confederate army. And generations of his descendants grew up believing he served in the US army and it is even so noted on his grave marker. 150 years later it is a bit funny to think about, but I am sure then it made perfect sense. >>

Great story! I love it when mysteries are explained and put to rest.
  • Options

<< <i>The last of my Civil War ancestors died in 1928. For the rest of his life after the war he stated that he served in the US army but lost his pension number etc.

Fast forward to the 1990s and I am doing genealogy and cannot find his name in any Union army musters. So with a bit of cunning out of frustration I started looking in the Confederate musters and found him and his unit. I guess it was hard to collect a Union pension when you served in the Confederate army. And generations of his descendants grew up believing he served in the US army and it is even so noted on his grave marker. 150 years later it is a bit funny to think about, but I am sure then it made perfect sense. >>

Confederate veterans and their spouses could collect Civil War related pensions from the Federal Government, but it did not start until the 1930s. The last Confederate widow who was collecting money died in 2003. The way that happened was there were some very young women who married some very old Confederate veterans. According to "U.S. News" there are still two children of Confederate veterans who are collecting money from the Civil War.

Since you ancestor died in 1928 he just missed out on the potential of collecting benefits
  • Options

<< <i>According to "U.S. News" there are still two children of Confederate veterans who are collecting money from the Civil War. >>

One of the two children lived in Tennessee and passed away in 2013 at 93. The other, a lady, was born in the 1930s and lives in North Carolina. It's pretty amazing to think that her father fought in the Civil War.

The pension for the children is $876 per year.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW WOW WOW
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>According to "U.S. News" there are still two children of Confederate veterans who are collecting money from the Civil War. >>

One of the two children lived in Tennessee and passed away in 2013 at 93. The other, a lady, was born in the 1930s and lives in North Carolina. It's pretty amazing to think that her father fought in the Civil War.

The pension for the children is $876 per year. >>

I believe there still might be a very elderly Confederate widow alive in Tennessee or somewhere that was a teenage bride to a Confederate soldier in the 1920s or 1930s - often times young girls married these elderly men as a guarantee of a pension - considering the conditions of the Great Depression not such a far out idea.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Still quite a lot to add, which I will do over the next several days.
    Here is the first page of a letter sent to my relative detailing his trip to Gettysburg and the accommodations available for him at the event:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The pension for the children is $876 per year. >>

I believe there still might be a very elderly Confederate widow alive in Tennessee or somewhere that was a teenage bride to a Confederate soldier in the 1920s or 1930s - often times young girls married these elderly men as a guarantee of a pension - considering the conditions of the Great Depression not such a far out idea. >>

There are some articles referencing privately known widows that may still be alive in Tennessee and North Carolina. For the publicly known widows, Maudie Hopkins passed in 2008 and Alberta Martin passed in 2004. Maudie married William M. Cantrell (of the 7th Virginia Infantry) on February 2, 1934, when he was 86 and she was 19. Alberta married William Jasper Martin (of the 4th Alabama Infantry) on December 10, 1927 when he was 81 and she was 21. The Wikipedia pages on Maudie and Alberta has some good information on Confederate soldiers, pensions and marriage. Here's a good CNN interview with Maudie that discusses how they came to be married.
  • Options

<< <i>Still quite a lot to add, which I will do over the next several days.
    Here is the first page of a letter sent to my relative detailing his trip to Gettysburg and the accommodations available for him at the event >>

Your materials are very cool. Have you thought about putting them together into a website or book??
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating stuff - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    VERY image
  • Options
    Here is the formal invitation that was sent by the U.S. government to my great grandfather, requesting his presence at the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg:
    It reads:
    "The Government of the United States extends a cordial invitation to B. Frank Herbert, a Veteran of the War of 1861-1865, to attend the Commemoration of the Seventy-fifth Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, June twenty-ninth to July sixth, nineteen hundred thirty-eight at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    A token purchased from the event: imageimage

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Confederate veterans and their spouses could collect Civil War related pensions from the Federal Government, but it did not start until the 1930s. The last Confederate widow who was collecting money died in 2003. The way that happened was there were some very young women who married some very old Confederate veterans. According to "U.S. News" there are still two children of Confederate veterans who are collecting money from the Civil War.

Since you ancestor died in 1928 he just missed out on the potential of collecting benefits >>

While it may be a bit off this topic it is interesting to note that, as of last year, two of former president John Tyler's grandchildren were still living. Tyler was born in 1790!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Bump for the 80th anniversary of the 75th anniversary!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for resurrecting this great old thread. Some really interesting history contained here. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file