Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"...one of the finest artistic efforts ever struck at the mint"

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was going to wait for a good excuse to post this, but I've had this picture on my desktop for the past few days, and I just can't stop looking at it...

Julian PR-12 is the large-size (76 mm) presidential medal for Abraham Lincoln. It was restruck in the zillions during the 20th century in the crappy yellow bronze that the US Mint used at the time. I've had a restrike for a while. I picked it up in some bulk lot. It's nothing special.

That said, there is comment in Julian's book on US Mint medals. At the end of the discussion for PR-12, Julian wrote:

"Some numismatists, including the author of this work, consider the obverse of the Lincoln medal to be one of the finest artistic efforts ever struck at the mint."

I never understood that comment.

I just bought a specimen that isn't struck in crappy yellow bronze.

Now I understand.

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    OUTSTANDING!!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never realized that hair gels had arrived on the scene by that date! image

Seriously, that is a very artistic portrait. High relief is a good thing.
  • Options
    I would like to buy one myself, where did you buy it from?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece, and a spot-on pic image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OUTSTANDING!!

I agree!
  • Options
    Love it!!!
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Imagine if they put half that effort into our new coinage today. Even the wreath on the reverse in intricate and detailed. I love it!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Awesome. Compare that to the current portrait on the penny. Not even close
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an example of the piece in color. It's a shame that the mint got into the habit of sand blasting the surfaces of their medals. It started with the Matte Proof foolishness in the early 1900s, and when the mint found out that it was much cheaper to do it that way than bronzed finished, they continued.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To those who have not seen this before, a current rendition is available from the mint for $38. It is a big chunk of metal....the press must be massive and the noise immense when this thing is struck The bust sits raised over 1/8 inch.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10722&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10196
  • Options

<< <i>Here is an example of the piece in color. >>

Acutally, my picture is in color also. There were 38 struck in aluminum in 1892-1893, at a period when aluminum was just becoming economical for use like this (think about some of the excellent World's Coumbian Exposition pieces posted by tmot and madmarty). Mine weighs 63.8 grams. I assume that BillJones's weighs 100+ grams.

<< <i>I would like to buy one myself, where did you buy it from? >>

Ambro51 posted a link to the Mint website for a modern one. If you're patient, you can probably find one on eBay yin the $20 range (I checked last night, and there weren't any listed, which is a little unusual).

19th century bronze pieces with reflective surfaces (like the one posted by BillJones) are somewhat rarer. I have 6 auction records in the past 2 years, at prices ranging from under $300 to over $800.

If you want an aluminum piece like mine, I'm afraid you're out of luck. I only have a single auction record for an aluminum piece, in the monumental 1984 Dreyfuss sale. That one was unplated, so I don't know if it is the same as mine or a different specimen. (If anyone knows of other auction appearances, I'd love to hear about them). In any case, with only 38 struck there aren't too many that were ever out there, and I'm guessing that a lot of them have been mishandled over the years.

As several people have commented, the relief is amazing. Here is a side view looking down from 12:00:

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Amazing relief on that coin! A sticker for you. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's cool! I wonder if any of today's mint engravers could, given the opportunity, execute something like that.
  • Options
    Great thread!

That piece is amazing and a true work of art!

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    What you get today for $38

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous!!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That piece for $38 looks better than most of the mint's modern "yellow bronze" medals, but old style looks better to me.

BTW to put things in context, I paid $277 late last year for the bronze medal I posted earlier in this thread.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Yes, there are quite a few interesting medals from the mint...still available.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[If you want an aluminum piece like mine, I'm afraid you're out of luck. I only have a single auction record for an aluminum piece, in the monumental 1984 Dreyfuss sale. That one was unplated, so I don't know if it is the same as mine or a different specimen. (If anyone knows of other auction appearances, I'd love to hear about them). >>

The Dreyfuss specimen reappeared in B&M's sale of the Rogers M Fred collection, lot 1283 graded PF-65 (Nov. 1995). It sold for $522.50. It's not a medal I've been tracking, so I don't have any other records.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    The one I have is smaller in diameter and I believe struck in copper.
    Becky
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    A verry classy piece...!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aficionados of mid to late 19th century Mint produced medals have a keen sense of the artistic skill of William Barber and his ability to create masterpieces of human portraits in high relief-one of the reasons for my intense focus on collecting his works for the past three years. Among his finest works as well, are PE-1 Louis Agassiz, with a right facing bust of Agassiz, CM-16 Emancipation Proclamation also with a right facing bust of Lincoln, CM-39 Pacific Railroad with a right facing bust of U.S. Grant, and SC-15 Buffalo Schools, with a left facing bust of Jesse Ketchum.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful medal.

True art.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>image >>

Great pic and illustration or high relief.
  • Options
    I had this for a couple of months, and every time I looked at it I freaked out that I would do something to mess up the soft aluminum. So I sent it to NGC, not so much because I cared about the grade, but simply so that I could get it into a nice mess-up-proof hard holder. Here it is in its new home, with a regular cent for scale:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file