Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why would Ebay pull this Mickey Mantle cut signature auction?

I listed this auction and Ebay just pulled it. Why? There was not anything questionable in the description. I listed this as -

MICKEY MANTLE Cut Signature GAI COA

Here are the scans that I posted with it.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    It probably failed a quick opinion. In defense of the quick opinion system, it looks fake to me. Did you get that in person?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I did not get it in person, but it looks authentic to me. I have compared it to others and it looks great to me.

Shane

• Options
    Here is a link to a fake mantle that I had, link. Those two are similar in ways that aren't characteristics of the micks signature. Specifically the loops of the M, the size of the K, the Y how it stops and goes inwards towards the K, and the a to the n in mantle.

Those are just the obvious "tells" I see with your autograph. A real mick doesn't stop and change directions on the Y, and never loops inwards towards the K without going outwards first. Also, the K and the Y are never that close together, almost like they're about to touch. Here is a link to a real one, look specifically how it goes from the A to the N in mantle. real I don't know, if it is real, it certainly is one I'd stay away from. I can see why it could get taken down.

edit:: one more for you, this one was authenticated by GAI and The Score Board Inc, one of the companies that were named in Operation Bullpen. ebay. That one is also very similar to the one you posted.
  • Options
    It looks like GAI missed with this one.
    Mike
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    GAI has missed 1000's of Mantles.....and Teds.............and Mays.............and Aarons

its ridiculous

go to myccsa.com type in Mantle, look at the GAI ones and the non authenticated ones. SAME FORGED AUTOGRAPH
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

Baker and the rest of GAI should be in jail for all the fake signatures they are authenticating. Several months ago I emailed the new owner of GAI about all the forgeries. He claimed GAI was authenticating real signatures and the COA's were being changed after they left GAI's hands. GAI has brought the price down of real Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, etc. autos down as some people think they are getting a real Mick auto for $100 bucks and the real PSA/DNA ones sit unsold at $300
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, are you guys telling me that this is a fake?

Shane

• Options
    I would be utterly shocked if that was real. While there are similar characteristics between yours and an authentic, i have never seen an example that had that K, Y, and N and been a real one.

Mickey never got to the bottom of his Y, stopped, and then came up to the K with a straight line, it would be one motion looping in towards the Y-- no sharp edges. Yours does not conform to that idea.

• Options

<< <i>Baker and the rest of GAI should be in jail for all the fake signatures they are authenticating. Several months ago I emailed the new owner of GAI about all the forgeries. He claimed GAI was authenticating real signatures and the COA's were being changed after they left GAI's hands. GAI has brought the price down of real Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, etc. autos down as some people think they are getting a real Mick auto for $100 bucks and the real PSA/DNA ones sit unsold at $300 >>

I agree, earlycal^^. image

Yes, frankhardy, that GAI Mantle autograph is a forgery/fake.

Edited to fix spelling/wording.
  • Options
    well the authenticators are not liable for their opinions, so nothing can be done. How do you think STAT still authenticates?

There just rendering an "opinion"
  • Options

<< <i>well the authenticators are not liable for their opinions, so nothing can be done. How do you think STAT still authenticates?

There just rendering an "opinion" >>

I think most of us realize that, but that still doesn't change our opinions of where these folks should be. In my opinion, they should be in jail, or stop authenticating, if they don't have a clue as to what they are doing. If the right inside person would come forward and testify in a court of law about what they know, there could very well be some criminal charges brought forward..
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The thing is they think they have a clue just like you do.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

Baker and the rest of GAI should be in jail for all the fake signatures they are authenticating. Several months ago I emailed the new owner of GAI about all the forgeries.

Isn't Baker the new owner?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>The thing is they think they have a clue just like you do.

Steve >>

Oh, my personal troll is back. You know what, Steve, how about just give the personal vendetta a rest? There is not need for this garbage, unless you just want to take the board down another notch. Let's stay away from the cheap shots and discuss the subject at hand. Any time you or anyone else on here wants to take me up on a challenge on Mantle auctographs, go right ahead. A fair share of highly respected members of this forum know that I know my stuff on Mantle autographs, and I have been accurateeach time I have been tested on here. Members have pm'ed or emailed me to state just that, and many still come to me for quick opinions before they buy Mantle stuff that they plan to send to PSA or JSA to be authenticated. I have been accurate each and every time. My reputation on that matter stands for its self.
  • Options
    Baker is the owner of Global Authority, Inc. Its a completely different company from Global Authentication.

• Options
    What?

You need to give it a rest.

I simply said that they THINK they have a clue. Or do you have proof that THEY are authenticating
    bogus autos on purpose?

And are you saying you don't have a clue? Because that was not what I was saying.

I was simply saying they think they have a clue just like you!

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now we got us a Tuesday night here.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    It's a different company now, but for a while Baker was the name on the certs (due to the constantly changing lineup of "authenticators").

<< <i>Baker is the owner of Global Authority, Inc. Its a completely different company from Global Authentication. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    From some of what I have been told by a person fairly close to the situation, I tend to believe they are involved in questionable business practice when it comes to autograph authentication.

I am confident in what I know, and have a positive track record to back it.
  • Options
    yeah Stan you know you stuff, how about that time I showed you 3 autos I knew to be bogus and

you said each and everyone was ok?

Why don't you tell everyone about that?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I think they DO have a clue, AND know exactly what
    they are doing. It is not reasonable to think they could
    have put so many bad ones out by "mistake."

Based on STM's record of picking real ones, I would
    trust his opinion LONG before I would trust GAI.

The Feds really need to get deeper into this mess.
    As noted, the fakes are killing the sales of the real
    ones.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    His record was not so good that night I showed him 3 known bogus ones.....

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    That is a flat out lie, Steve, and I can see the nonsense is starting to see if you can troll me into a fight. I will just move on, and you can play your games with someone else.
  • Options

<< <i>I think they DO have a clue, AND know exactly what
    they are doing. It is not reasonable to think they could
    have put so many bad ones out by "mistake."

Based on STM's record of picking real ones, I would
    trust his opinion LONG before I would trust GAI.

The Feds really need to get deeper into this mess.
    As noted, the fakes are killing the sales of the real
    ones. >>

Thank you for being honest and fair, Storm.
  • Options
    Hey if you want to change your story no problem, I know what happened that night.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    That is a flat out lie....

I guess that sorta goes under it takes one to know one.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

You are nothing more that a liar who has a vendetta and wants to use this thread as a way to troll for a fight. If the members of this forum cared about building a better board, they would ask you to stop the nonsense. Many decent members wonder why there are less and less threads of substance, and more members not coming here, your actions in this thread show exactly why it is. You started this nonsense. I did not. Stop being a LIAR, and trolling for a fight.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    right click the image, open paint, invert colors (under image), blow up 200%...it appears like whoever did the signature took their time and that there may be a pen lift in the "y" and after the "t"

Patrick
  • Options
  • Options
    You mean like how you lied about me couple weeks ago?

Ahhh the thing is I still have the PM's I can prove you lied.

Can you prove I did?

The bottom line is you don't know all you say you do. I purposely

showed you 3 bogus autos one night and you said each one was good!

Then when I said they were know fakes you tried to spin your way out of it.

Is your memory that bad?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ...you can blow that up more if you want
  • Options
    When it comes to auto's I guess if you weren't there when the person signed, its a crap shoot. I mean whos to say the cards people send out on these boards to former players are ALL 100% signed by that player.

What about a spouse signing or a sibling. If you were not there you cant be 100% sure.

I guess thats why I stayed away from that aspect of the hobby.

There are just so many fakes its unreal. I watched a show some time back where the best forgery got thru PSA/ JSA all of them. And the guy signing was some 50 something old man in the back of a room that got paid thousands to do it.

So, If you have it and believe it to be real then thats all that really matters I guess.

You just have a problem when you try to sell. Thats the downside.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    maybe a possible pen lift between the "M" and "i"?
  • Options

<< <i>You mean like how you lied about me couple weeks ago?

Ahhh the thing is I still have the PM's I can prove you lied.

Can you prove I did?

The bottom line is you don't know all you say you do. I purposely

showed you 3 bogus autos one night and you said each one was good!

Then when I said they were know fakes you tried to spin your way out of it.

Is your memory that bad?

Steve >>

Once again, ALL LIES. You are making up flat out lies just to have something to troll for a fight. I guess 21,873 posts just shows what type of life you lead. Get real, and stop lying.
  • Options
    Mickey's M and I are usually never connected. The fakes generally have them too close together or in one motion without the break. Very rarely did he go straight into the I
  • Options
    According to the Justice Dept something like 75% of the big names are fake.

Agreed unless you are there in person and see it being signed no one can be 100% certain

that an item is legit.

What is bad is sigs of deceased person where you can't be there (anymore)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Mickey's M and I are usually never connected. The fakes generally have them too close together or in one motion without the break. Very rarely did he go straight into the I >>

possible that this could be real then?
  • Options
    Stan no problem, you can deny all you want. You can act as if it never happened. I know it did.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Nope the auto is fake.

Steve, can you PM me the pics?
  • Options
    What pics?

The ones that i sent to Stan that night? I no longer have them. I did not know that I would need them 2 years later.

We used email that night, not PM. They were Mantle, DiMaggio and Koufax. All bogus and he said they were all good.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Oh ok, thanks for the reply
  • Options
    not a chance.
  • Options

<< <i>Stan no problem, you can deny all you want. You can act as if it never happened. I know it did.

Steve >>

You can continue to be the big fat liar you are, Steve. The story you made up never happened, but your hatred for me just could not resist coming into this thread and trolling me into a fight.. Now, the thread is derailed, and here we are. No wonder the content of this board continues to drop. Decent members get tired of this stuff, Steve. If I can't post in a thread, while trying to talk about the hobby, without people like you coming in and picking a fight over past personal vendettas, then this place is pretty much useless to people who want to talk about the hobby. We don't like each other, but I don't come into threads where you are talking about the hobby and start a fight with you out of the clear blue. 21,000+ posts from a man who apparently has no life outside of living on here, while holding onto his cheap grudges.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

GAI knows exactly what they are doing - their authenticating business is no better, probably worse, than PRO or GEM is at grading cards. at least with pro or gem you may get a real card but altered. with GAI the autos are fake - at least the big names which have flooded the market over the past year. they are desperate for business and will take anything for revenue.
  • Options
    Stan you can deny it all you want. I was there, I sent you the pics via email.

You said 5 posts ago you were not going to reply yet here you are replying.

I remember that night like it was yesterday. Like you I did not think I'd need to prove it

2 years later.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Nope the auto is fake.

Steve, can you PM me the pics? >>

The pics never happened. Steve made up that story as a way to stir it up and try to make me look bad. He may send you some pics, but I never gave any opinions on any autographs for Steve. The pathetic liar just wants to make me look bad, like I don't know what I am talking about. I know eactly what he is trying to do. It's sad that some folks have to live their lives the way Steve is going about this, just to try and get even for a past grudge.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stan you can deny it all you want. I was there, I sent you the pics via email.

I remember that night like it was yesterday. Like you I did not think I'd need to prove it

2 years later.

Steve >>

Excuse me for jumping in the middle of this - but I just want to say....

Steve has the best memory for what goes on here than anyone I know - that you can take to the bank. I barely remember what I had for breakfast!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nah Stan just trying to get even for some of your past lies.

Not nice is it?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Stan you can deny it all you want. I was there, I sent you the pics via email.

2 years later.

Steve >>

Excuse me for jumping in the middle of this - but I just want to say....

Steve has the best memory for what goes on here than anyone I know - that you can take to the bank. I barely remember what I had for breakfast!!!

mike >>

That's just it, stone. Some of you guys are friends, and since steve is liked on here, and lives on here, he thinks that give him the power/advantage to discredit me with lies that he is trying to convince people are real, all becuase he wants to do a character assasination of sorts on me. It's a way he can get even. It a sick way to be, but that is the reality of the situation.
  • Options
    So if Baker is this new GAI who are the people authenticating as GAI?

His old cronies?

Steve
    Good for you.