Home U.S. Coin Forum

This Franklin has a problem or does it?

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
In my continuing question to find neat examples for the classroom, I realize that you occasionally have to make some on your own. Meet Mr. Franklin.

I thought it would be an interesting study in contrasting original and cleaned surfaces to take a lightly circulated silver coin and clean half and leave the other half original. That way, students could do a direct comparison on the same coin. Yes, I am so very clever. image

So I run down to the local B&M and pick up a nice candidate, a lightly toned 1962-D Franklin half dollar in AU-58. I bring it home and decide to use MS-70 on half the coin and leave the other half original. Can you guess which half was cleaned with MS-70? Good, because apparently NGC couldn't!image

Yep, this is another coin I submitted to NCS with an obvious problem that ended up in an NGC holder. This one came back as AU-58 (at least the grade is right! image ). As a bonus, I got to pay for the NCS and NGC fees again.

Lane

Edited for punctuation...
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess: The top half was cleaned. The bottom half is original.

*hic*

(boggles the mind)
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you cleaned the reverse and left the obverse original?image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    and the beat goes on...

Finish the job and you'll get an upgrade.image

• << <i>Yep, this is another coin I submitted to NCS with an obvious problem that ended up in an NGC holder >>

That is really no surprise at all...
  • Why did you submit the coin to NCS?

maybe just to have it holdered for passing around the classroom??
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I think it might be worthwhile to invest in some coin world slabs and slab them yourself.....way cheaper.imageimage
    Becky
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and the beat goes on...

Finish the job and you'll get an upgrade.image >>

Sad, but true. Although sometimes the dipping shows the flaws for forcefully which can have opposite effect.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    But....but, isn't that NCS job to take possible problem coins and make them slabbable?

I'm sort of lost here.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why was it sent to NCS first?

Didn't you want a half dipped coin?

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe MS70 is a "brightener", and not a dip in the usual sense,
    ie- no acid, just detergent
    LCoopie = Les
  • tjc2120tjc2120 Posts: 714
    my guess, right half was cleaned (dipped)
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Next time, use a deeper bowl.........................image

maybe just to have it holdered for passing around the classroom??

Bush, Your a bad man.........image
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why did you submit the coin to NCS?

maybe just to have it holdered for passing around the classroom?? >>

Yes...I prefer to use holdered coins as opposed to coins in flips as the holders are more durable and the flips need replacing way too often.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

<< <i>I think it might be worthwhile to invest in some coin world slabs and slab them yourself.....way cheaper.imageimage >>

I initially used CW slabs but found them way too cumbersome and the quality control (e.g. fit) was inconsistent.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire

<< <i>Why was it sent to NCS first?

Didn't you want a half dipped coin?

image >>

It was sent to NCS to be holdered as a cleaned coin, not conserved. And the coin looks identical to when it was submitted.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe MS70 is a "brightener", and not a dip in the usual sense,
    ie- no acid, just detergent >>

I've seen a few coins that said have gotten the MS-70 treatment. My response is, "Not on my coins!" The results looked gross to me. The stuff is good for those dealers who advertise that you need sunglasses to look at their coins. They are right, and the coins look like shined up military buttons.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Like the others I don't understand why this went to NCS instead of NGC/PCGS direct. A simple bath in MS70 is NOT cleaning and any of the tpg's would grade it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file