Home Precious Metals
Options

100% pure silver bar?

Picked this up the other day, It says Plata (silver) 1000. Pure silver? I know Penoles from Mexico is known for having 99.99 pure silver. What do you think?
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmmm, I thought most of these should say Plata Pura. Weird how that part was left out.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    Maybe its silver plated...
    Its all relative
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope not! But I think you know as well as me that some 100 gram bars you've owned in the past would say plata pura, this one doesn't say the pura part. Might be a Mexican knockoff
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    yes most mexican silver says plata pura which means Pure silver but this bar seem legit to me. Maybe someone else will chime in...
    Its all relative
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmmm, I thought most of these should say Plata Pura. Weird how that part was left out. >>

It says "PLATA" on the bar and since it gives the finess as "1000", having "PURA" on the bar would be redundant. Nice and very interesting bar.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I didn't think about that image
    Its all relative
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Does being redundant, mean saying again

what you said several times before, but felt

it necessary to repeat by saying it once more

again?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Like Yoggi Berra said.

"It's like deja vu all over again!"

• Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I thought we already discussed the impossibility of 100% pure silver...image

<< <i>The level of purity varies from issue to issue. 99.9% purity is common. The purest mass-produced bullion coins are in the Canadian Gold Maple Leaf series, which go up to 99.999% purity. Note that a 100% pure bullion is not possible, as absolute purity in extracted and refined metals can only be asymptotically approached. >>

linky
  • Options
    Wasn't discussing it again, Was asking if this bar was 100% pure. Did you even read the post?image
    Its all relative
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't discussing it again, Was asking if this bar was 100% pure. Did you even read the post?image >>

At 999+ they probably thought it was close enough to call it 1000 fine. Sort of like the grading services call a coin MS/PR70 which is a perfect coin if they can see no flaws under 5X magnificayion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Wasn't discussing it again, Was asking if this bar was 100% pure. Did you even read the post?image >>

Yes I read the post... I just assumed that from your participation in the previous thread you would have understood
    100% silver was not possible.. I guess it was a misunderstanding on my part...image
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes I read the post... I just assumed that from your participation in the previous thread you would have understood
    100% silver was not possible.. I guess it was a misunderstanding on my part...image >>

Bad cinman14 !!! GO TO YOUR ROOM AND STAY THERE UNTIL I TELL YOU DIFFERENT image
  • Options

100% silver was not possible.. I guess it was a misunderstanding on my part...image

That's exactly why I was asking about this bar being marked in such a manner...
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>That's exactly why I was asking about this bar being marked in such a manner... >>

Like I said.. It must have been a misunderstanding on my part. I would have thought you knew the bar was
    a fake or mislabeled because 100% could not exist...

Please refer to your sigline if you have any questions as to why I keep replying.. image

<< <i>Bad cinman14 !!! GO TO YOUR ROOM AND STAY THERE UNTIL I TELL YOU DIFFERENT >>

Does that mean I have to wait until I'm ungrounded to mail your check...image