Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Calling all autograph experts - Albert Pujols Christian Family Day Card Signed

I am 100% sure that this is not a forged autograph. My question is - did they ever make a 2005 Christian Family Day card with a facsimile autograph? I bought this card off of Ebay because the autograph looks 100% legit. I got it today. I looked at it really close, and it almost looks like the autograph was made with the card. You would think you would be able to see the Sharpie strokes under a loupe. I have seen many of these cards WITHOUT THE AUTOGRAPH.

Does anybody know if they made this card with a facsimile autograph? Also, could someone with a pop report see if these cards are gradeable?

Here is a link to the auction (I'm too lazy to scan it myself right now).

Pujols Signed Card

Shane

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just signed a few modern cards with a sharpie, and you can definitely see strokes overlapping and also "missing ink" through some strokes. I used 2 different sharpies. This Pujols signature is just too perfect as far as the ink goes. Is there another writing instrument better than a Sharpie that would make the signature "solid" like this?

Shane

• Options
    I would think you if you tilt it in the light a bit you should be able to tell, but maybe not.
  • Options
    When tilting it in the light, it does look the same as a sharpie signature. There are just no smudges. The autograph is just to solid and too perfect.

Shane

• Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    I know over on sportscollectors.net a few people who ran into Pujols and asked for an autograph out in town, on vacation etc... Pujols would give them this already "signed" card. Without seeing it in person, I can't say since I can't see the ink.
  • Options

<< <i>I know over on sportscollectors.net a few people who ran into Pujols and asked for an autograph out in town, on vacation etc... Pujols would give them this already "signed" card. Without seeing it in person, I can't say since I can't see the ink. >>

Interesting. Could it be an autopen or could he have some cards that have the auto pre-printed that he passes out? I really cannot tell, and I've looked at it 10 or 15 times under a loupe.

Shane

• Options
    send it in under the psa/dna half off special
  • Options
    I don't see where they are having a half off special.

I wonder if the card was posted at sportscollectors.net would they know if the signature was pre-printed? I am not a member anymore, so I can't post it.

Shane

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Shane

The seller claims he got it in person, perhaps an email to him would clear
    up any confusion?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I thought about that, but I think I want my ducks in a row before I confront him.

Shane

• Options
    I have discovered this on sportscolletors.net. I just joined back up this morning and I have not had a reply yet. I was browsing trying to find something on this card and stumbled across this photo. This one appears real because you can see the Sharpie strokes. I am going to inquire about this card. Mine is the top card. The one I'm speaking of is the bottom one.

Shane

• Options
    Not sure what you mean by confronting him.

I'd simply tell him my concerns.

I'd ask in a non aggressive way (I know can you believe that)

Sorry you have to stress over this.

Hopefully it is a non issue.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I just did. I just told him -

"Thanks for the quick shipment. I was just wondering - did he sign this in your presence, or did he give it to your son already signed? Thanks."

We'll see what he says.

Shane

• Options
    Shane

Is it possible that the pen he used to sign yours was brand new and that is why
    it looks so perfect?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Shane

Is it possible that the pen he used to sign yours was brand new and that is why
    it looks so perfect?

Steve >>

That is one of the things that I am wondering. I may try to get a brand new sharpie and test it out myself. If I can get a perfect, full ink flow on a signature with a brand new sharpie, I would fee better about it.

Shane

• Options
    I got a reply from the seller. This was his response.

He signed it in our presence.
    Glad to hear you got it!
    Enjoy the card!!
    Thanks

Also, over on the Sportscollectors.net message boards, I got a reply from the guy who owns the other signed card above. Here was his response after asking him about the whole situation and asking about his card.

Honestly, I don't know much of the history of the card. When I met Pujols he already had them signed in his pocket. He gave me two of them and they were different autographs on each. I actually got rid of one, but the autograph had a fading black sharpie on it. The one I kept looks good and is a full auto.

In regards to yours, I would say it's real and not printed. Looking at yours, right inside the A seems to have a dot in it. Every one of these cards I've seen (6 of them) all are different looking...I would say yours older I think yours is good. Maybe it was one of the first ones he signed with a new sharpie. Really took his time on it. I think it would pass PSA imo.

Shane

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Shane,

This is the first time I've seen the upclose picture...I think you're okay. Looks like a good Sharpie to me.

I've noticed that some surfaces almost "bond" to the Sharpie...meaning they are absorbed to the point of being more than surface dwelling.

Looks good to me in all respects, authenticity and as being a true hand signature and not auto pen.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>Shane,

This is the first time I've seen the upclose picture...I think you're okay. Looks like a good Sharpie to me.

I've noticed that some surfaces almost "bond" to the Sharpie...meaning they are absorbed to the point of being more than surface dwelling.

Looks good to me in all respects, authenticity and as being a true hand signature and not auto pen. >>

The up close picture is not mine. I got it from the sportscollectors.net boards in order to compare.

Shane

• Options
    That's what I get for not reading. Do you have a closer shot of yours available? Sometimes a large scan in which the image colors are inverted will reveal the subtle nuances that can't easily be seen with the naked eye.
  • Options
    .I would say yours older I think yours is good. Maybe it was one of the first ones he signed with a new sharpie.

That's what I'm thinking.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>That's what I get for not reading. Do you have a closer shot of yours available? Sometimes a large scan in which the image colors are inverted will reveal the subtle nuances that can't easily be seen with the naked eye. >>

That's a good idea. I will try that later on this afternoon when I get home.

Shane

• Options
    Good news for me (I think). I just got a couple of new Sharpies and tried them several times on some new cards. I got the same results as my Pujols. I could not see the strokes, the ink mark was full, and I could not see the ink piling on at the intersections. I didn't realize that a new Sharpie made that much of a difference. I actually signed my name on some 2007 Topps cards and it looked like my signature was printed on them. My autograph is pretty cool, by the way. I should have been MLB player. Oh well.

Shane

• Options
    Glad to hear it! Your signature is good, so as long as it's real!

Send that bad boy in.
  • Options
    Here is a regular sized scan and then a super sized scan. It is amazing what shows up with a scan that doesn't even show up with a loupe. On the super sized scan, take a look at the P where the loop ends. You can definitely see a stop mark. Also, you can see through the Sharpie ink. I would think that if it was pre-printed, you would not be able to see through it. Agreed? Since I am sure that this is real now, this is one fine signature. I wonder if I should get the signature graded?

Shane

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Shane, if its any help, here is mine that i got at a similar event....

• Options
    Looks like the real deal to me Shane.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    He must have really taken his time when signing that card. If it weren't for the separation of ink at the closing of the 'P' and the drag of the dot on the 'j' I would think this to be a facsimile.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Yea apparently he signed them I would say at his house, because he would hand them out when people would ask him for his autograph.
  • Options
    THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULL!!!!!!!!!!!

Order Status

PSA/DNA Order Status for Submission # 189820
    Cert # Item Primary Signer Result/Grade
    83026323 TRADING CARD ALBERT PUJOLS Questionable Authenticity
    Date Received: 07-02-2009
    Date Verified: 07-08-2009
    Date Shipped: Not Available

Shane

• Options
    hmmm, that surprises me
  • Options
    stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Oh man bum deal image
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Maybe because it is a preprint?
  • Options
    It is just an opinion......

What do you plan on doing?

Sorry this happened.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PSA/DNA just goofed. Id send it JSA or send it back to PSA/DNA when you get it back
  • Options
    bummer

i dont agree
  • Options

<< <i>It is just an opinion......

What do you plan on doing?

Sorry this happened.

Steve >>

I don't really know what to do. I have sent an email to the Ebay seller requesting a refund. I have not heard back yet. Even if I get me money back, I am still out about $40 for authentication and return shipping. I was (still am) sure that this it is the real deal.

Shane

• Options
    I believe it wouldnt pass JSA
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options
    Yes, I don't believe it would pass either. It might be good, but there are a some fishy things about it. Although, fishy hasn't kept PSADNA from certifying autos before.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's printed/stamped
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I just got an email back from the seller. Here is what he said -

I don't know why they would have rejected it. That doesn't make sense. It is a real autograph, he signed it right in front of us.
    I would try to talk to PSA.
    Sorry

Shane

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got an email back from the seller. Here is what he said -

I don't know why they would have rejected it. That doesn't make sense. It is a real autograph, he signed it right in front of us.
    I would try to talk to PSA.
    Sorry >>

What other response do you expect from the seller?....probably just covering his behind (1-800-STORY)

sorry this happened to you
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Mr Orlando replied to my email asking for a review. He did have them review it and they stand by their decision. I now have another email sent to him asking whether or not they thought it was pre-printed or whether they thought it was faked. I hope to have a response.

Shane

• Options
    Well, I got another email from the seller. Looks like he is denying my refund. Here is what he said -

I don't understand why they are denying it. I feel like I did not advertise it falsely. I said he signed it in front of us, but never said that it was authencated. I am sorry they are denying it, I had no idea they would or why, but I feel I did advertise it truly. So, I do not want to give a refund. I sold an authentic item.

Looks like I will be filing a Paypal claim of "significantly not as described". Do you guys think I will win?

Shane

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I think you will win as long as you are in the proper timeframe.

Good luck!!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I was (still am) sure that this it is the real deal.

Then what is the problem Shane? And if you feel this way why ask the seller for a refund?

If you feel it is real that should be the only thing that matters.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Yep you most probably will win as long as you are within the timeframe.

Sorry this happened to you, I know you really liked that card.

I'm wondering why the seller never had it authenticated, would the value rise substantially if it was authenticated?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    steve, the value would rise a good amount...

maybe PSA was uncomfortable with it because it was not a major issue card.....

i thik the auto's on obscure cards are that much cooler!

• Options

<< <i>I was (still am) sure that this it is the real deal.

Then what is the problem Shane? And if you feel this way why ask the seller for a refund?

If you feel it is real that should be the only thing that matters.

Steve >>

Because if I ever decided that I wanted to sell it, it would not bring nearly what it what bring if it was authenticated by PSA/DNA. It is not my opinion that matters, it is PSA's. Now, if I saw it get auto'd in person myself, then I would not care (unless I wanted to sell it).

Shane

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I'd get a second opinion...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Not sure if he has time to get a second opinion. If it was me and I felt strongly that it was legit I would not care
    what PSA said. If I cared and was hesitant in my belief of it being real I'd file the SNAD and be done with it.

Of course I'd only file the SNAD after I asked the seller for a refund, something Shane already has done.

Tuff call.

Steve
    Good for you.