Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stman Tries To Drink The Kool-aid On 1802 Draped Bust Half *Updated in first post*

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've only sent perhaps a couple handfuls of coins for crossover from NGC to PCGS. So far I was 100% successful. This is over many years. I had a local dealer walk this coin through at the recent Baltimore show. It has to be a special coin for me to do this, and this is a tough and for me an expensive coin....... and I thought kinda special. I have mixed feelings as far as grade on this one, and why I attempted a cross. Old fatty holder too, L@@K image
So, what did PCGS Do?.......... Thanks for the comments all. I personally feel the coin is probably on the line between 40-45. I'm tough on my own coins and my gut says 40. I want to see more luster for 45. There can be a big price gap between 40 and 45 on these. Since I feel I paid more toward the 40 range that's what I was willing to accept. And that's what I got.

I feel it's a slam dunk solid to upper end 40.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you asking what PCGS did? If so, you may want to change part of your post.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>Are you asking what PCGS did? If so, you may want to change part of your post. >>

Doneimage
  • Options
    Nice coin stman! I think they gave it a 40.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought, brown was a color designation for copper only?

(I'd say PCGS bumped it right into their own slab with no issues or hesitations at or about the same grade.)

Nice coin!

peacockcoins

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    If it's weak strike then AU50
    If it's wear then XF40
    If PCGS is not sure then a straight cross at XF45
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you meant "what did PCGS do"?

I'd say that coin should have crossed no problem. Doesn't mean it did or would have. If there are some traces of luster on the coin I wouldn't preclude an AU-50 grade. Most of the XF-AU 1802's are dipped and/or lightly to moderatly cleaned. The best you can normally find are ones that are only screwed with a little. That fact that NGC called yours "brown" is a compliment assuming they didn't just mess up. Yours appears to be a nice one with strong detailing. Most of those that once looked like this were taken by doctors to be scrubbed into AU's. Unfortunately that game is over for the time being so the coin remains a great XF45 imo. Of the 2 dozen or so coins shown in XF40 to AU50 in my older pop report, I'd bet no more than a few pieces are as original as yours.

With the current market downturn, older NGC holders mean a lot less today than they did 1-3 years ago. Buyers just don't care, all they see is the NGC holder. They'd much rather have it PCGS or at least NGC CAC'd. I had one person recently offer me 65% of next grade down on a group of cheaper NGC coins I had. This was due to the NGC risk factor as he put it. The fact that most of the NGC coins were decent and in fatty-no barcode holders made zero difference. While I don't agree with all of this, it is a sign of where things continue to head.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think it probably crossed at XF-45. Beautifully coin!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going with XF 40.
    There's an ongoing discussion right now about crossovers and it being in the interest of PCGS to place nice coins in PCGS plastic.
    I wonder if this is one of those "same grade" crossovers simply for the slab change.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I hope you kept this at a min grade of 40 on the crossover. Anything below that is criminal.
    I'd say this is a strong EF-40, with an equal chance of crossing straight into EF-45.
    Definitely not enough for an AU, but I've been surprised before!

As for the "Brown" on the NGC insert, could this be a pedigree rather than a color designation?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those unaware about the history of this particular coin, the reason for the "Brown" designation on the holder is that this coin was purchased in 1984 by Robinson Brown, of EAC fame, from Jules Reiver. Robinson Brown subsequently had his small collection of half dollars certified and pedigreed by NGC and the coin was sold through Sheridan Downey in the mid-1990s. It was in my collection for a number of years before I sold it to stman earlier this year.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I know, I know.......image but won't spoil the answer. image
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is my kind of half, anything that one would buy from Tom is a great coin, Statman you are a very fortunate collector! >>

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbie Brown had some great coins, I have a couple. After my experiences with crossover attempts, its impossible to predict. I sent NGC 1803 small 3 half dollar, 1806, 1806/inv6, and 1806 large stars in for crossover, they did not cross, waited a year and they all crossed and are in the PCGS Registry. Must be the mood they are in at the time.

Stmans 1802 is nice, it looks EF45 wear with subdued luster.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Lovely coin, It should cross as full XF-45 .

If I was grading the coin, I would give it

a full 50 grade. The hair has so much

wonderful detail to it.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an easy 45 to me...
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS XF-40 image

It is a very nice coin.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TomB, thanks for the added info. I wasn't sure if I was going to bother typing the story to this coinimage. Fish guy, you saw the coin at the show so of course you know the results. When I bought this coin I had no intentions whatsoever to try a cross.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Who cares what the grade is, that coin is beautiful.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Who cares what the grade is, that coin is beautiful. >>

I'll say PCGS crossed at same.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful coin in the pic. 45 fits well, too much wear for AU, not enough for 40. Easy 45.
  • Options
    Simply amazing and I can't see it getting graded any lower than XF45 unless their are shannigans afoot image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Robinson Brown had some very nice Bust coins. The one I own is an 1825 CBH NGC 58, and I believe it is graded properly.

This 1802 Half graded NGC 45 would likely, these last two months, grade about XF 40 with PCGS, unless PCGS bagged it for some reason.

I agree with Nysoto when he says "Must be the mood they are in at the time." about PCGS crossovers from NGC being inconsistent. Unless I hear PCGS changes from their present brutal crossover grading standards, I will not be submitting anything to PCGS. The PCGS decision to not cross because of "questionable toning" is what upsets me the most. PCGS seems to be running scared on beautiful toning.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    From my experience, doing a crack and submit would be the best method of getting the grade you want (in this case, XF 45). The old Fatties though hold at least a little sense of nostalgia to many collectors and should hold or have more value than one would think.

Also, NGC has been rather brutally conservative more recently in their grading as well. I have a few that to me look rather undergraded. Especially on weaker strikes.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I'll say it crossed as "Genuine"....

imageimage Gorgeous originality and a very nice BUST!!! PCGS XF40
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess would be 45 or DNC. Why the holder change?

K
  • Options
    For those curious why I would send this for a cross to PCGS........ as I noted earlier when I thought about buying it, and after buying I had no intention to do so.
    I could say I like the way they look in PCGS holders, they image better, for my heirs for resale, but I wouldn't be telling the truth. The fact is, on a coin like this although it speaks for itself...... the marketability is much better in PCGS holders. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

With this economy and being self-employed (and still doing well BTW) if I should need or want to sell I know it would sell much quicker in a PCGS holder, IF, it got into oneimage.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Either Bryce Brown or Robinson Brown pedigree
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Lovely....image
    Becky
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very nice, eye appealing, coin. I hope PCGS gave it a grade. I think Genuine.
    I don't like the stuff on the eagle's breast. Looks like the only thing wrong with that coin.
    But, it still takes awhile to take my eyes off of it.

Very nice,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey stman,
    As you already know this one is a top shelf coin that is worth more than the average car on the road today.
    That said, I sure hope that PCGS crossed this one as a 45.

The only problem is that someone OBVIOUSLY threw the switch at the TPG's and they are bagging 1/2 their own previously graded coins (boy they must love getting those out of the old holders that had liability as overgraded and now have NO liability as Genuine or bagged coins AND made money on the coins again) and calling everything altered/cleaned/questionable etc etc etc.

I got my fingers crossed for a 45 and think that a 40 grade is almost as bad as a genuine slab on this one.

Good luck buddy.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    40 probably. Did you choose cross at any grade?
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Either Bryce Brown or Robinson Brown pedigree

Frankcoins, I'm flattered, but, although I've owned (2) PCGS-45 and (1) NGC-40 1802 bust halves in the last several years, I've never seen the TomB (Robinson Brown) piece in person. It looks to be a very attractive half dollar...

Best wishes for all involved...

Preturb
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments all. I personally feel the coin is probably on the line between 40-45. I'm tough on my own coins and my gut says 40. I want to see more luster for 45. There can be a big price gap between 40 and 45 on these. Since I feel I paid more toward the 40 range that's what I was willing to accept. And that's what I got.

I feel it's a slam dunk solid to upper end 40.
  • Options
    Come on folks, don't make me kill my own thread...... again!image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Very nice coin.

I haven't read the entire thread yet but
    do you already know the grade?

Or is it still being "processed" and you're asking for opinions?
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think it would cross at PCGS.

Gorgeous coin!image

Why not just leave it in the old NGC fatty holder?
  • Options
    very nice
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Freaking really nice XF40 to 45, awesome old coin, congrats!
  • Options
    I can understand your reasoning behind the cross even at the downgrade to 40. Done it myself more than once. I also feel that coins such as this in the old NGC Fattie holders with the Pedigree, Brown/TomB, would have maintained it's value and maybe done better than the coin now in a PCGS 40 holder. True collectors would have purchased this coin from you in the future for your ask price in the NGC holder.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    A really lovely coin. Once you get it CAC'd it will be easily sold if & when you choose to do so. Congratulations.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the PCGS grade. There needs to be some hint of luster for PCGS to go XF45 and from the pics, it seems to be lacking, although it does have nice details for a 40. Reminds me of my very first CBH - 1822, which I bought from a forum member. It has the details for a XF45 but PCGS gave it a 40. I will try to post it later for comparison.

BTW, just curious, did PCGS keep the pedigree with the crossover?
  • Options
    OK, thread unkilled. image

Sounds like the grade is acceptable and since you will be keeping it for a long time to come it does not really matter so much what the holder says.
  • Options

<< <i>I also feel that coins such as this in the old NGC Fattie holders with the Pedigree, Brown/TomB, would have maintained it's value and maybe done better than the coin now in a PCGS 40 holder. True collectors would have purchased this coin from you in the future for your ask price in the NGC holder. >>

LeeG, fair enough, I agree value would have been maintained. But as I said earlier, the marketability is better in the PCGS holder. I don't like it but that's the way it is now.
    And I know this for a fact considering when I purchased the coin. I believe in this market if I decided to sell next week, it would sell much faster than in the NGC holder.
    I don't like this way of thought but this seems to be the norm these days. Oh, BTW, it had the "Brown" pedigree on it, no "TomB" pedigree. I see the new thing these days is if someone owned a coin before, even a dealer this board automatically gives a "pedigree" to it.image

Edit to add, now I went and killed the thread again. image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But as I said earlier, the marketability is better in the PCGS holder. I don't like it but that's the way it is now. >>

I agree with you, but with emphasis on your word 'now'. Unless you are planning to sell it now, then I'd have left it as is (though I don't believe you asked my opinion!).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I also feel that coins such as this in the old NGC Fattie holders with the Pedigree, Brown/TomB, would have maintained it's value and maybe done better than the coin now in a PCGS 40 holder. True collectors would have purchased this coin from you in the future for your ask price in the NGC holder. >>

LeeG, fair enough, I agree value would have been maintained. But as I said earlier, the marketability is better in the PCGS holder. I don't like it but that's the way it is now.
    And I know this for a fact considering when I purchased the coin. I believe in this market if I decided to sell next week, it would sell much faster than in the NGC holder.
    I don't like this way of thought but this seems to be the norm these days. Oh, BTW, it had the "Brown" pedigree on it, no "TomB" pedigree. I see the new thing these days is if someone owned a coin before, even a dealer this board automatically gives a "pedigree" to it.image

Edit to add, now I went and killed the thread again. image >>

Thread is back, Did PCGS maintain the Brown Pedigree?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But as I said earlier, the marketability is better in the PCGS holder. I don't like it but that's the way it is now. >>

I agree with you, but with emphasis on your word 'now'. Unless you are planning to sell it now, then I'd have left it as is (though I don't believe you asked my opinion!). >>

With this economy as it is, although I have no intention of selling anytime soon, that could change in a heartbeat. ( glad to have your opinion)
  • Options

<< <i>Thread is back, Did PCGS maintain the Brown Pedigree? >>

I don't care if the thread dies I just don't like killing my ownimage. No Pedigree now, if I sell I'll just have to come up with some "story." It's just a plain ol' boring 1802 half now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thread is back, Did PCGS maintain the Brown Pedigree? >>

I don't care if the thread dies I just don't like killing my ownimage. No Pedigree now, if I sell I'll just have to come up with some "story." It's just a plain ol' boring 1802 half now. >>

Not boring in the least and since you do know it's history just jot it down and include it when/if you ever sell it.

Oh and if you don't post again you won't be the last one. image
  • Options

<< <i>

Edit to add, now I went and killed the thread again. image >>

Totally understand your position and reasoning. image Sorry about the TomB pedigree part. Looks like a TomB coin though. As far as Pedigrees and forum members/dealers go, very select few are so honored in my opinion. TomB is one of them though IMO. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file