Home Sports Talk

Babe Howard

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
You fellas here are extremely lucky that when ya got your grandkids, and great grandkids, and great-great grandkids a kickin' around on ye lap, you can tell 'em that you were around when the great Babe Howard was playing baseball...you can share your Babe Howard home run memories and you'll always enjoy an attentive audience, filled with joy and love.

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Cmon, the comparison is a bit too much, Babe couldn't hit them upper deck twice!

JS
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other guy named Babe is the greatest hitter of all time...our Babe isn't there yet, but someday he might be the greatest "non-steroid" home run hitter of all time.
  • SteveK, Howard has been on juice since HIgh school...who are you kidding.

Howard is a hair above Dave Kingman, LOL.

Howard isn't even the best hitter on his own team, let alone the league.
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    This Babe?

Her golf course in Tampa's pretty nice. I played a round there with my brother in law last summer.

LINK
    The only question remaining is how many championships Ryan Howard will help bring to the Phillies in the coming years.

Move over Yankees, the Philadelphia Phillies are the team of the 21st century and there's a new Babe in MLB, and his name is Babe Howard.
  • Babe Ruth had a lifetime BA of .342. Not only will Howard never get close to that number in one season, he may never hit his weight again unless he goes on a diet.

BTW, Howard is about to turn 30 and will be lucky to last another 6 years.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Babe Ruth had a lifetime BA of .342. Not only will Howard never get close to that number in one season, he may never hit his weight again unless he goes on a diet.

BTW, Howard is about to turn 30 and will be lucky to last another 6 years. >>

Bill your answering this thread like it was a serious statement!

PLEASE from now on any silly talk of Ryan "Big K" Howard in Sports Talk in refference to being a HOF'er or "Beast" should simply be met with a image reply.
    You all wish you had big Ryan on your team.

Kevin
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You all wish you had big Ryan on your team.

Kevin >>

At this point, sure I would take him over Papi.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You all wish you had big Ryan on your team.

Kevin >>

At this point, sure I would take him over Papi. >>

Heck, I'd even take Dave kingman right now over Big Papi.

Then again, Kingman, Howard, same thing.

another titanic blast tonight and the night isn't even over, Braves shore up their pathetic lineup with Nate McLouth...LMAO yeah that will put you
    over the top!

Kevin
    I coulda swore I saw Babe Howard point into the outfield stands just before that home run.
    PETCO park is a pitcher's park

NOT

Sincerely,
    Babe and the new murders row

<< <i>Babe Howard >>

Being that Ryan Howard will never be the hitter that Ruth was, I'm kinda stumped trying to figure out which one I like best.

A. Ryan Kingman

B. Dave Howard

What do you Phillie fans think?

I think I'm leaning toward option A

<< <i>

<< <i>Babe Howard >>

Being that Ryan Howard will never be the hitter that Ruth was, I'm kinda stumped trying to figure out which one I like best.

A. Ryan Kingman

B. Dave Howard

I think I'm leaning toward option A >>

I don't like either one. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Babe Howard >>

A. Ryan Kingman

B. Dave Howard

I think I'm leaning toward option A >>

I don't like either one. image >>

but if you accidentally said George Herman Howard, then that would be understandable.
  • Dave Kingman is at it again. 4 more strikeouts tonight puts him up to 75. I guess he is trying to reach 90-100 before the All Star break. Also gotta love that .251 batting average. image

Howard no hit curve-ball.....bats are cursed!!!
  • He was pretty clutch in the 9th...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• << <i>Howard no hit curve-ball.....bats are cursed!!! >>

But this #6 could.... image

<< <i>

<< <i>Howard no hit curve-ball.....bats are cursed!!! >>

image >>

Ahhh...a REAL MLB HITTER!

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Ahhh...a REAL MLB HITTER! >>

Musial led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has a long way to go...Musial ain't playing anymore...and Musial never led the league in home runs, while Howard had led the league twice already...not of course taking anything away from Stan Musial a great player...but Howard has all the makings of a great player as well.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Ahhh...a REAL MLB HITTER! >>

Musial led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has a long way to go...Musial ain't playing anymore...and Musial never led the league in home runs, while Howard had led the league twice already...not of course taking anything away from Stan Musial a great player...but Howard has all the makings of a great player as well. >>

Keep dreaming.... You can't even mention Howard in the same breath as Musial, because Ryan Howard will NEVER be in that class of greatness. Never..

• I have never heard of a guy who hits in the .250 range with an on base % of about .330 being considered a great player. Mark McGwire was much better than Howard in many categories, including defense, and all I have ever heard about him was that he was a one dimensional player. All Ryan Howard is, is a modern day Dave Kingman, that plays in a juice box of a stadium, with a superb lineup around him.
  • Howard has more RBI than better hitters(like Pujols or Bonds) BECAUSE he has more opportunites...anyone over the age of 12 knows that...and it makes me wonder why SteveK doesn't. Is SteveK over 12? I am beginning to think he isn't. Free throw contest SteveK? Lose some more money?

Heck, Kingman led the league in home runs twice himself.

Kingman's and Howard's best OPS+ seasons(full seasons) were

Kong--Howard
    146----167
    132----144
    131-------------129 this year, so obviously not full yet.
    128----124

It seems that since the pitchers have figured Howard out, he is getting darn similar to Kingman...and Howard is only going to get worse in the next several years.

Since Howard had two seasons much better than Kong's best two, he will probably retain the slight career advantage as time goes on, unless he regresses earlier than expected.

When it is all said and done, Howard will be much closer to the following group....

Howard
    Kingman
    Deer
    Incaviglia
    Gorman Thomas

Only an absolute moron would even mention him in the same breath as Stan Musial...but our resident moron has already done that.

<< <i>Howard has more RBI than better hitters(like Pujols or Bonds) BECAUSE he has more opportunites...anyone over the age of 12 knows that...and it makes me wonder why SteveK doesn't. Is SteveK over 12? I am beginning to think he isn't. Free throw contest SteveK? Lose some more money?

Heck, Kingman led the league in home runs twice himself.

Kingman's and Howard's best OPS+ seasons(full seasons) were

Kong--Howard
    146----167
    132----144
    131-------------129 this year, so obviously not full yet.
    128----124

It seems that since the pitchers have figured Howard out, he is getting darn similar to Kingman...and Howard is only going to get worse in the next several years.

Since Howard had two seasons much better than Kong's best two, he will probably retain the slight career advantage as time goes on, unless he regresses earlier than expected.

When it is all said and done, Howard will be much closer to the following group....

Howard
    Kingman
    Deer
    Incaviglia
    Gorman Thomas

Only an absolute moron would even mention him in the same breath as Stan Musial...but our resident moron has already done that. >>

Hey chit for brains - I didn't bring up Musial...somebody else did and so I presented some comparisons...and come up with something new...you are the resident bore.

• << <i>

Hey chit for brains - I didn't bring up Musial...somebody else did and so I presented some comparisons...and come up with something new...you are the resident bore. >>

Somebody else may have brought him up, but you presented the first grade level analysis comparing the two. Even the average first grader knows that there shouldn't even be a discussion comparing Gorman David Howard to Stan Musial.

There really isn't much new to come up with on the topic, as you still can't comprehend the first grade stuff. Until that is accomplished, then something new could be brought up.

When you have the free throw contest, I think comprehension on the RBI's will occur. You may say you understand it, but you don't, because you keep bring up RBI total without recognizing the number of opporunities. And, you don't understand the importance of getting on base either.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey chit for brains - I didn't bring up Musial...somebody else did and so I presented some comparisons...and come up with something new...you are the resident bore. >>

Somebody else may have brought him up, but you presented the first grade level analysis comparing the two. Even the average first grader knows that there shouldn't even be a discussion comparing Gorman David Howard to Stan Musial.

There really isn't much new to come up with on the topic, as you still can't comprehend the first grade stuff. Until that is accomplished, then something new could be brought up.

When you have the free throw contest, I think comprehension on the RBI's will occur. You may say you understand it, but you don't, because you keep bring up RBI total without recognizing the number of opporunities. And, you don't understand the importance of getting on base either. >>

<<< Somebody else may have brought him up, but you presented the first grade level analysis comparing the two >>>

This was my comment:

"Musial led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has a long way to go...Musial ain't playing anymore...and Musial never led the league in home runs, while Howard had led the league twice already...not of course taking anything away from Stan Musial a great player...but Howard has all the makings of a great player as well."

Okay, chit for brains...please explain to the forum how my comment was "first grade level" when all that was clearly stated were stone cold facts...come on now genius...here's your big chance to once, just once, not be a total and complete bore. And if you wish to get an adult to help you with the answer, that's okay.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

When you have the free throw contest, I think comprehension on the RBI's will occur. You may say you understand it, but you don't, because you keep bring up RBI total without recognizing the number of opporunities. And, you don't understand the importance of getting on base either. >>

<<< Somebody else may have brought him up, but you presented the first grade level analysis comparing the two >>>

This was my comment:

"Musial led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has led the NL twice in RBI's and Howard has a long way to go...Musial ain't playing anymore...and Musial never led the league in home runs, while Howard had led the league twice already...not of course taking anything away from Stan Musial a great player...but Howard has all the makings of a great player as well."

Okay, chit for brains...please explain to the forum how my comment was "first grade level" when all that was clearly stated were stone cold facts...come on now genius...here's your big chance to once, just once, not be a total and complete bore. And if you wish to get an adult to help you with the answer, that's okay. >>

Your post suggests that one of the reasons why Howard has the makings of great player is because he's led the league twice in RBI. Hoopster is pointing out that this statistic- and, really, any statistic which doesn't control for the number of opportunities a player has had to pad said statistic-- is not a useful gauge of a player's ability, because it doesn't account for efficiency-- only gross production.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This was my comment:

Okay, chit for brains...please explain to the forum how my comment was "first grade level" when all that was clearly stated were stone cold facts...come on now genius...here's your big chance to once, just once, not be a total and complete bore. And if you wish to get an adult to help you with the answer, that's okay. >>

Your post suggests that one of the reasons why Howard has the makings of great player is because he's led the league twice in RBI. Hoopster is pointing out that this statistic- and, really, any statistic which doesn't control for the number of opportunities a player has had to pad said statistic-- is not a useful gauge of a player's ability, because it doesn't account for efficiency-- only gross production. >>

Actually Guy you inadvertently just made my overall point - my overall point which has been mentioned in other threads, is the most important thing is the player's team winning championships and the player improving their team, and Howard has clearly done that....look at how well the Phillies have done since Howard came on board - pretty dam well and that's not debatable...and I know you might say this could just be a coincidence...but do you think Charlie Manuel is stupid? Howard consistently bats #4 in the lineup which generally, not always, but generally the team's best hitter bats in that position for RBI production purposes, which is what the game is all about, driving in runs, and scoring more runs than the other team.

Ryan Howard truly has all the makings of a great player because great players help their team win championships, and can sometimes carry their team when other players are slumping - Ryan Howard has done all that since coming to the Phillies.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This was my comment:

Your post suggests that one of the reasons why Howard has the makings of great player is because he's led the league twice in RBI. Hoopster is pointing out that this statistic- and, really, any statistic which doesn't control for the number of opportunities a player has had to pad said statistic-- is not a useful gauge of a player's ability, because it doesn't account for efficiency-- only gross production. >>

Actually Guy you inadvertently just made my overall point - my overall point which has been mentioned in other threads, is the most important thing is the player's team winning championships and the player improving their team, and Howard has clearly done that....look at how well the Phillies have done since Howard came on board - pretty dam well and that's not debatable...and I know you might say this could just be a coincidence...but do you think Charlie Manuel is stupid? Howard consistently bats #4 in the lineup which generally, not always, but generally the team's best hitter bats in that position for RBI production purposes, which is what the game is all about, driving in runs, and scoring more runs than the other team.

Ryan Howard truly has all the makings of a great player because great players help their team win championships, and can sometimes carry their team when other players are slumping - Ryan Howard has done all that since coming to the Phillies. >>

You sillies fans just continue to fail to see reality..

Greatness will never be associated with a guy who strikes out an average of 175-200 times per season, while batting .250-.260 range, with an on base % around .330 while playing in a very offensive friendly stadium, with a superb lineup around him. That is Ryan Howard.

Greatness is defined by a guy like Pujols who has a career batting average of .334, slug % of .620+, and an on base % of .420+, while averaging 39-40 homeruns per season & 120+ RBI per year. These stats are accumulated in a much lesser lineup than Ryan Howard has, not to mention Pujols plays in the pitcher friendly Busch Stadium.

When do you want to have that free throw contest?

• << <i>

Greatness will never be associated with a guy who strikes out an average of 175-200 times per season, while batting .250-.260 range, with an on base % around .330 while playing in a very offensive friendly stadium, with a superb lineup around him. That is Ryan Howard.

? >>

Depends on what you define as greatness. Reggie Jackson struck out a lot. Reggie hit around .274
    Reggie played on great teams. Reggie had the short right field porch in Yankee stadium. Reggie won rings
    by playing great in the postseason. Some people would say Reggie was great. Others would say he was
    just a good player.

There's no doubt that Albert is a cut above Howard, but to a Phillies fan who hasn't won a ring since 1980, Ryan
    Howard is a great player on their ballclub. He isn't great compared to other players in the league, but he is great
    for their club.

On the other hand, is Alex Rodriguez great ??? A guy who hit like .100 in the 8th and 9th inning last year. A guy
    who always hit his home runs in 8-1 games either in a losing or winning cause. It's all a personal opinion, and
    if Alex doesn't have a ring with the Yankees, and Ryan Howard has one with the Phillies, and Alex likes to choke in
    the postseason, then couldn't you argue that Ryan Howard is greater then Arod ??? I'm just askin', that's all.
  • I would say Reggie was a very good homerun hitter, but not a "great" player. I think most baseball fans could agree with that.

Alex Rodriguez will probably go down being considered a "great" player that always choked in the clutch, unless he does something to drastically change that sentiment. Ryan Howard will never be considered as good/great as A-Rod, World Series ring or not.
    Frankly, the anti-Howard comments here are just jealousy and lack of knowledge regarding the history of MLB - and we all understand that. Guys like Hoop and STM are still youngsters and should eventually learn more about the game as they get older and more mature. Like typical teenagers they think they know it all so that's understandable.

To sum up...Howard in his first 4 seasons has led the league twice in RBI's and HR's - doesn't matter how or why he did it...he did it, and that's a fact. I didn't Google it, but I would have to believe not many if any in MLB history have achieved that, and if that isn't the "makings of a great player" then what can be said at this point to the teenagers other than keep reading posts from the knowledgeable members of the forum here and eventually you may learn.

Carry on.
  • SteveK, you still do not get it. You really need to have that free throw contest to understand it. Now that your eigth grade graduation ceremonies are over, you can then start first grade in baseball knowledge.

SteveK, you have proved to be a baseball moron on here, and you have proved to have no critical thinking skills since you lost all of your money in gambling. Basically, you have no credibility any way you slice it.

Lets have that free throw contest for 15k. This will give you a chance to get your money back. If you stand by your theories, then you should have no problem agreeing to the free throw contest as laid out previously.

On the other hand, if you really are over the age of 18, then I feel extremely sorry for you that you have to cling to and build up a hero in Ryan Howard in order to have self worth.

<< <i>SteveK, you still do not get it. You really need to have that free throw contest to understand it. Now that your eigth grade graduation ceremonies are over, you can then start first grade in baseball knowledge.

SteveK, you have proved to be a baseball moron on here, and you have proved to have no critical thinking skills since you lost all of your money in gambling. Basically, you have no credibility any way you slice it.

Lets have that free throw contest for 15k. This will give you a chance to get your money back. If you stand by your theories, then you should have no problem agreeing to the free throw contest as laid out previously.

On the other hand, if you really are over the age of 18, then I feel extremely sorry for you that you have to cling to and build up a hero in Ryan Howard in order to have self worth. >>

• << <i>Frankly, the anti-Howard comments here are just jealousy and lack of knowledge regarding the history of MLB - and we all understand that. Guys like Hoop and STM are still youngsters and should eventually learn more about the game as they get older and more mature. Like typical teenagers they think they know it all so that's understandable.

To sum up...Howard in his first 4 seasons has led the league twice in RBI's and HR's - doesn't matter how or why he did it...he did it, and that's a fact. I didn't Google it, but I would have to believe not many if any in MLB history have achieved that, and if that isn't the "makings of a great player" then what can be said at this point to the teenagers other than keep reading posts from the knowledgeable members of the forum here and eventually you may learn.

Carry on. >>

Teenagers? Do you even have a clue how old I am? Gee, what a moron to make such comments from your rear. FYI, I am not a teenager by a long shot, and I have a family of my own. Been a baseball fan for over 30 years, so I more than understand the game and what greatness in a player is. Ryan Howard is not greatness. Not by a long shot, and never will be. He is an all or nothing slugger like Dave Kingman.

Stevek, the more you speak, the more ignorant your comments become.

<< <i>

<< <i>Frankly, the anti-Howard comments here are just jealousy and lack of knowledge regarding the history of MLB - and we all understand that. Guys like Hoop and STM are still youngsters and should eventually learn more about the game as they get older and more mature. Like typical teenagers they think they know it all so that's understandable.

Carry on. >>

Teenagers? Do you even have a clue how old I am? Gee, what a moron to make such comments from your rear. FYI, I am not a teenager by a long shot, and I have a family of my own. Been a baseball fan for over 30 years, so I more than understand the game and what greatness in a player is. Ryan Howard is not greatness. Not by a long shot, and never will be. He is an all or nothing slugger like Dave Kingman.

Stevek, the more you speak, the more ignorant your comments become. >>

Okay, you're not a teenager...now that you've resolved that important matter...why not respond to "To sum up...Howard in his first 4 seasons has led the league twice in RBI's and HR's - doesn't matter how or why he did it...he did it, and that's a fact. I didn't Google it, but I would have to believe not many if any in MLB history have achieved that,"

Too bad your boy Pujols has NEVER led the league in HR's or RBI's. Case closed.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Frankly, the anti-Howard comments here are just jealousy and lack of knowledge regarding the history of MLB - and we all understand that. Guys like Hoop and STM are still youngsters and should eventually learn more about the game as they get older and more mature. Like typical teenagers they think they know it all so that's understandable.

Carry on. >>

Okay, you're not a teenager...now that you've resolved that important matter...why not respond to "To sum up...Howard in his first 4 seasons has led the league twice in RBI's and HR's - doesn't matter how or why he did it...he did it, and that's a fact. I didn't Google it, but I would have to believe not many if any in MLB history have achieved that,"

Too bad your boy Pujols has NEVER led the league in HR's or RBI's. Case closed. >>

<<< why not respond >>>

and I already know your answer...hypothetical this and hypothetical that.........image
  • SteveK, the answer you are seeking sits within the free throw contest. Once you participate in that, then you will understand why Howard having more RBI than Pujols is not an accomplishment worth bragging about.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Carry on. >>

Too bad your boy Pujols has NEVER led the league in HR's or RBI's. Case closed. >>

Let's see Howard even come close to this amazing stats in less than 8 1/2 seasons:

.334 career average
    341 homeruns
    1,034 RBI's
    997 runs scored
    356 doubles
    .626 career slug %
    .426 career on base %
    2MVP awards
    And a batting title

That, sir, is a case closed as to what defines greatness. Ryan Howard is not even close to Pujols' level. Keep dreaming of ways to try and get him there, but it's just never gonna happen.

• << <i>SteveK, the answer you are seeking sits within the free throw contest. Once you participate in that, then you will understand why Howard having more RBI than Pujols is not an accomplishment worth bragging about. >>

Hoopster,

It's no use. It goes right over stevek's head.

<< <i>

<< <i>SteveK, the answer you are seeking sits within the free throw contest. Once you participate in that, then you will understand why Howard having more RBI than Pujols is not an accomplishment worth bragging about. >>

Hoopster,

It's no use. It goes right over stevek's head. >>

<<< Howard in his first 4 seasons has led the league twice in RBI's and HR's >>>

Study this and try to memorize it.
    I must be bored chitless with the rain delay, arguing with Moe and Larry. LOL
  • And some even further follow up:

Pujols is hitting .329, 22 homeruns, 57 RBI's, 24 strikeouts, .444 on base %, .699 slug % on a pretty weak offensive team, and in a pitcher friendly park.

Howard is hitting .251, 19 homeruns, 49 RBI's, 75 strikeouts, .327 on base %, .569 slug % while he has an All Star caliber lineup around him, plus the launching pad/juice box he plays at in Philly.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>SteveK, the answer you are seeking sits within the free throw contest. Once you participate in that, then you will understand why Howard having more RBI than Pujols is not an accomplishment worth bragging about. >>

Hoopster,

It's no use. It goes right over stevek's head. >>

<<< Howard in his first 4 seasons has led the league twice in RBI's and HR's >>>

Study this and try to memorize it. >>

Since you missed this the first time, let's go over it again:

Let's see Howard even come close to this amazing stats in less than 8 1/2 seasons:

.334 career average
    341 homeruns
    1,034 RBI's
    997 runs scored
    356 doubles
    .626 career slug %
    .426 career on base %
    2MVP awards
    And a batting title

That, sir, is a case closed as to what defines greatness. Ryan Howard is not even close to Pujols' level. Keep dreaming of ways to try and get him there, but it's just never gonna happen.

<< <i>And some even further follow up:

Pujols is hitting .329, 22 homeruns, 57 RBI's, 24 strikeouts, .444 on base %, .699 slug % on a pretty weak offensive team, and in a pitcher friendly park.

Howard is hitting .251, 19 homeruns, 49 RBI's, 75 strikeouts, .327 on base %, .569 slug % while he has an All Star caliber lineup around him, plus the launching pad/juice box he plays at in Philly. >>

Moe - again you forget that I've already stated that Pujols is a better player...maybe your buddy Larry can clarify it.

However, I'd rather have Ryan Howard on my team - if it ain't broke don't fix it....find Curly to explain that to you.