Home Precious Metals
Options

Rant about a dealer

Some dealers really Piss me off. Today I was attempting to purchase a 1 gram gold bar which the dealer had marked @ $90! He wouldn't budge on the price saying he had more than that in it lol. I was prepared for this, I brought my album of small gold pieces which contained close to 100 pieces 5 grams and under & a few small Plat pieces. I asked the dealer if he would be interested in a trade for a different 1 gram bar and I would throw in a little cash if needed. I was hoping I could trade him a 1 gram bar I can purchase from eBay any day of the week for $35-$40 and throw him $10 or so thinking he would have the same amount of bullion and $10. The bar he had was generic but I didn't have one so I wanted it. He glances through the album and pointed out 3 pieces he would trade for, 1/10 oz JM round, 1/10 oz JM bar or 2.5g JM bar. I said No thanks. He then asked about a 1/20 oz panda I had in the album. Asked me what I wanted for it, I told him I would trade for the 1g bar. The panda was even a low mintage year. He handed the album back and stated: I don't think we'll be able to do anything. Nothing in there really interests me, I would just scrap all of those. I was OK what a moron. I proceeded to ask him why he would scrap all of my pieces, Some of which are Very rare but he wasn't scraping his. He stated he probably will end up scraping it. I said OK, Sell it to me for $50, Its only melts @ $31 +/-. He just chuckled and I walked away a little upset with this moron. I can't believe the nerve of some people. Needless to say i will not be headed back there anytime soon.

What is wrong with people? OK, Maybe he thought I didn't know the price of gold at first but after showing him my album you think he would realize I know what's going on. Whatever, I'll just have to wait until one of them show up on eBay and pick it up for $40. Rant over...
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    A crappy dealer for sure!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cars---the guy was obviously an idiot.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything wrong with the dealer's actions. He stuck to his guns and you weren't happy about it and kept offering new possible deals. So what?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    Sure, he can ask whatever he likes. However I thought it was Kind of stupid to ask $90 for something worth $50 tops then 3 mintues later say you're going to scrap it but won't sell for $50 when melt is $30.

Edit: Forgot to mention he told me the ones I had were scrap while he was trying to sell same thing for 3x melt. If that's not shady I don't know what is.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't sweat it. The guy was having a bad day and took it out on you. You were being logical, you were offering to make a deal both of you would profit from. He just wasn't playing ball. Forget him and move on to the next deal.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I recently got bitten by the 1 gram Gold bar bug, if you don't mind me asking what generic brand name bar were you inquiring about??
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cars, sounds to me like this dealer is not worth your time. I make it a point of not dealing with such people again.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I don't see anything wrong with the dealer's actions. He stuck to his guns and you weren't happy about it and kept offering new possible deals. So what? >>

When the dealer says "i'll probably just scrap my piece", then he IS an idiot for not taking the $50 offer on $31 worth of "scrap" gold.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see anything wrong with the dealer's actions. He stuck to his guns and you weren't happy about it and kept offering new possible deals. So what? >>

I have to agree with TomB.

The world is full of idiots; some you don't know about until it is too late.

Consider this guy as an easy one for the "I" list, and just avoid.

Besides, that seems like way to much work for $31 in Gold for me ;>

• Options
    AndyMacAndyMac Posts: 194
    Why would you even bother with a dealer who was asking $90.00 for a 1 gram bar. The price he was asking should have tipped you off to what type of dealer he was. When a dealer sends you a signal like this, head it.
    Andy