Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Scanning my Dodger collection: more Cracker Jacks! (8/29/18)

TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2018 10:14AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
I finally finished scanning my Brett Butler collection, which pretty much interests only me and maybe a few other '80-'90s era player collectors. Actually, it was a lot of fun - I hadn't looked at some of these cards for quite a while - it was nice getting reacquainted with them.

For years though, I've been wanting to scan & catalogue my first love, which was the reason I got back into collecting 15 or so years ago. I've been a huge Dodger fan since I was a little kid, first collecting the '78 set as an 11 & 12 year old. Like most other guys, as I entered high school, cards were forgotten as girls & sports became more important. When I started my family, I got to thinking about cards again and set out on a quest to build Dodger team sets back to my birth year of 1966. As I ventured onto the internet in 1996, I discovered oldbaseball.com and was admitted as a member late that year. Again, my goal was to finish up my team sets from '66 to present, but then all these cards from the 50s started pouring in, and my goals had to change (drastically!). To date, I'm complete from 1953 to present in Topps, and am done with 1948-1955 Bowman. I've also obtained a few '33 Goudeys and T-205 & T-206 cards. I collect all my vintage in well-loved condition, so as I post, you guys that like 'em minty fresh may want to steer clear! image

I thought I'd start off with my small tobacco card collection.

T-205 Brooklyn Superbas

T-206 Brooklyn Superbas

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now those cards have real character. Nice collection Geordie. image
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    The McInytre and the card immediately above it are absolutely stunning.

I'll sound old, but they don't make 'em like that anymore.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Beautiful cards - just my style!
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I hope these are all in a binder...they make an awesome time line.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    1948 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers (complete)

1949 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers (complete)

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing these . I love it when others post pictures of their collections .

Keep up the good work------- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

<< <i>I hope these are all in a binder...they make an awesome time line. >>

Ross - yep, they sure are. Now that I've been scanning these for the past few hours, I've almost forgotten that cards are supposed to have corners! image
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Beautiful cards. Thanks for sharing. Go Superbas!

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, Geordie, thanks for sharing! As a life-long Dodger fan (born in Brooklyn the year they left, followed them out to LA in '64) it's great to see their history in cardboard (although these last two weeks have been rough, I am still so angry with Manny...)

Good job,
    Andy
  • I love the '49 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers cards!
    Thank you for sharing the scans

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
    1950 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers (complete)

1951 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers (complete)

For some reason, 57 year old tape is the coolest! I'd forgotten how much I love the '52 Bowman set.

1952 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers (complete)

• cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Awesome! Collecting Brooklyn Dodger cards are a main point of my collection. I've had to narrow it down to one player at a time for now (right now it's Roy Campanella) but my goal is to complete the Decade of Dodgers registry. Though that will be a long process as there are some very tough cards in that set! Good luck and can't wait to see more!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Great stuff Geordie - as someone that struggles with "focus" in collecting, I've always admired your devotion to your collection - great cards, exactly what collecting should be...
    Thanks, Chris & Jason - appreciate the nice comments.

Here's 1953 Black & White and Color - of course the Reese is a wonderful card, but the Hodges is neat too - lots of signage from Ebbets Field in the background.

• Josephcb09Josephcb09 Posts: 286 ✭✭
    Are you trying to sway me towards the 53 set Geordie?
    Joe, I told you yesterday that that was the one you should do. You can't refuse a beautiful set like that!
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    That was awesome. That 52 Campy is sweet. I have never seen that card before. Thanks Alot for sharing these.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Great collection you have....Thanks for taking the time I really enjoy checking out your scans.

Brian
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    VERY cool collection! Thanks for sharing!!! image
    Outstanding!!!

Steve
    Good for you.
    ugh - I'm sick of my scanner, sick of cropping, sick of of MS paint. I'm in love with vintage, though!

The Bowman years are done. The three autos in the 55s were obtained in person. Podres wasn't too talkative, Erskine was a blast, and Newcombe was very pleasant, too.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geordie, Very nice collection. I hope you continue to update it. These are the kinds of threads we need to see more of.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice stuff, once again! '52 Topps is tough for Dodgers (probably for other teams as well but the Dodgers are the only ones that I'm familiar with). It seems like half of them are in the high series, including 3 HOFers! I've got the Campy but I'm not looking forward to shelling out the big bucks for the Reese or Robinson. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it! I pretty much did the same thing with my Cardinals team set collection. I don't have any that have the border missing, but I did get low grade cards on the high dollar cards (ie 1948 Bowman Musial rookie).

How far do you plan on going with this?

If you didn't know, I started out just wanting to get every Topps team set. So, I worked on some older ones, while working down from some of the newer ones. In other words, I worked both directions. I think the last team set I finished was 1961. Anyway, it went from getting just the basic Topps team sets, to getting league leaders, all star cards, multi player rookies, etc. Then I went to Bowman and finished Bowman (vintage and modern). In the meantime, I was getting all Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck, and Score. You wouldn't think so, but some of those modern ones can be very, very challenging - especially the mid to late 1990's. While working on that, I finished some misc issues like Post Cereal, Jello, Red Man, Kellogg's 3d. Then I went to inserts and test issues from the 1950's to the 1990's (everything from 1955 Topps Double Headers to 1988 Topps Cloth to 1991 Topps Desert Shield.

With my test issues and inserts, it is pretty much at a stand still because the ones I need are so rare that you never see them, and if you do see them, they are too expensive. Now, it's just a matter of picking up a new team set every year when the new cards come out. It has been a blast, and my collection is priceless (well, almost priceless). I have them in albums by category and have 16 (I think) albums full.

Great job, and keep it up!

Edited to say - I can tell you are picky about your scans too. Very good job on the scans.

Shane

Thanks again for sharing these cards with us....I really like the 54 Topps cards you scanned ...Especially the Tommy Lasorda rookie card and its auto. That card is on my long list when I start trying to add Brooklyn cards to my collection.

Brian
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Cool cards thanks for all the scans !
    Finally fired the scanner back up. My favorite Dodger card is the '55 Koufax. It was given to me early on in my reconnection with vintage (around 12 years ago). My goal at the time was to complete every Dodger set from 1960 on up, but not earlier than that. I thought there was no way I'd every have actual Brooklyn Dodger cards (I thought they were going to be very expensive), much less guys like Sandy, Jackie, Pee Wee and Campy. Well, one day I was in a local shop and found a Ryan/Koosman RC for $50 - there was a guy in OBC was missing that card to complete his '68 set, so I got it for him. In OBC, there's a thanks server where the members report what gets sent back & forth, so the completion of the '68 set was duly reported. Another member sent me the Koufax in a "what comes around goes around" gesture. I still remember to this day the thrill and happiness I had as I gazed at the ragged Koufax before me. If I'm ever forced to let my collection go, the Koufax will remain with me. I don't think I can say that about too many other cards in my collection.

• relaxedrelaxed Posts: 569
    I love the cards that you have scanned for us, thanks. Being that I have lived in Southern California most of my life I have always been a Dodger Fan. One of the reasons I decided to center my collection on 1955 Topps is because of Sandy Koufax and his rookie card. He was so exciting to listening on that transitor radio and especially on TV. I do have an extra Koufax myself so in case I ever sell my collection I will always keep a Koufax card for all the memories that he gave me and my family.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
    Wow, it's been a while since I've updated this page. Finally fired up the ol' scanner - 1956 is up!

• matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Geordie,

What an impressive collection of Dodgers. I really like the fact that several of those cards were "loved" when they were new. It looks like they are being loved again. Sometimes its nice to see raw cards every now and again.

I did the same thing with my team, the Rangers. Fortunately for my wallet the team had only been around since 1972. The 2 most expensive cards were the 1972 Topps Rangers Team Card (high number) and Ted Williams. But I was able to find both under 30. Good luck!
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Geordie,

Awesome job ! It's great reminder of how raw cards are truly beautiful in any condition when displayed in a format like you have.

Keep it up.

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Great Dodgers collection . If i ever could become more focused in my collecting , I would love to
    do the Braves in a less then gradeable condition like that
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
    Yep, outstanding collection.

Nice collector grade cards that can be touched and smelled and look at.

Thanks for sharing Geordie.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Love the cards, Geordie, thanks for sharing.

Great story on the Koufax card. That card, along with the Rose rookie, have always been my two favorites. I own neither, but will someday.

shawn
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Geordie

The 56T Dodger set is the best!

Being a Dodger fan back in the 50s, it brought back great memories - it's kind of weird to live on a block where some kids are for the Yanks, others for the Giants and then the best - the Dodger fan! image

This is complete right? Great project.

mike
    Mike
  • WOW!!! That is a GREAT collection!!! image

Thank you very much for sharing all those scans image

Are you from Brooklyn? image

We need more threads like this, very nice treat...
    Matt, thanks for the compliments. Since the Rangers weren't born until '72, I suggest open up your wallet and go back the '61 Senators, which is the beginning of your franchise! image

Jim, thanks! It's really easy to forget how cool the cards are when they're shut up inside a binder. It's been nice rediscovering them.

bigwilli, I think you'd find it a lot of fun to collect raggedy vintage. Prices are very reasonable for the most part, and you'll find a lot of cool traders along the way.

Steve, thanks! I'm having a great time sharing it!

Shawn, thanks - good to see you! I do love my Koufax, and I do happen to have a McMullen (Rose) RC, too. I'll be showing it off at some point in the future.

Hi Mike! Yes the set is complete. All of my Dodger sets are done except '52 Topps.

Gio, thanks for the nice compliments. No, I'm not from Brooklyn. I'm an Oregon-grown Dodger fan.

1957, which happens to be my favorite set, is next - the scanner is warming up!
  • Great cards, the 53 set is one of my favs. Let the 57s begin! Go Blue!
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Very nice and thanks for sharing. You can enjoy this hobby without spending crazy money.

I am a little too young for the vintage stuff, but it does bring back great memories of watching
    my Dodgers back in the 70s.
    The 1957 set is my all time favorite baseball set, followed closely by the 1953 Bowman Color. The ballpark photography is really cool in some shots; you can see many background shots of Ebbets Field. Roughly 12 years ago, I attended a Tri-Star show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I made a deal with Roger Neufeldt for the Koufax 3rd year and the Drysdale RC for $50. At the time, that seemed like a LOT of money to me, and in hindsight it may have been. Over the years I learned to be a lot more patient in my chase for beat-up cardboard. However, I was so stoked to have an early Koufax card (I hadn't yet received the surprise '55 RC) and the Drysdale RC that I didn't feel too bad about forking over the money. Years later, I decided I liked the set so much that I made the choice to go beyond just the Dodgers. After Bobby Richardson was finally put in place, the '57 set became my oldest complete set, followed by the '74 set! Quite a gap, eh?

Geordie, Very glad to see some updates on your Dodgers collection. Keep em coming.

Brian
    I had fun with the 58s. I forgot I had the Fence Busters card, so that was a pleasant surprise. I also think there may have been some sort of variation with the set. The main set had four borders, and then Topps cleverly came out with a nod to the '53 set, creating a parallel with only three borders. Man, I must have the market cornered on three-bordered Dodgers! image