Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just a Home Security FYI

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
We spend a LOT of time on this forum on security and safety issues...

I purchased 2 new entry and dead bolt lock sets that where keyed alike yet one set was missing the keys.

I called the manufactures customer service dept and with just providing the key code sticker and upc code info they are sending out a set free of charge.

So if your installing a new lock set either by yourself, a locksmith, or a contractor make sure that you remove all the small stickers or printed info from the packaging prior to discarding.

As otherwise if placed in recycling or trash anyone who finds the packaging could gain entry into your home in just a few days with just a call to the lock set manufacturers customer service department.
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Excellent suggestion!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    It took you 10,000 posts to think of that..image

Broadstruck is now a freaking security expert.image

As Tootawl said.. Excellent advice.image
  • Options
    My wife shreds everything, at least it seems that way to me. It is helpful that she is so security conscious. Unfortunately we keep the valuable coins in the safe deposit box so I don't get to see them whenever I want. I do appreciate them more when I do get them out.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Yikes, that is scary.

That's why I shred everything!
    Can't take any chances.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locks keep honest people honest.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Gotta wonder where that missing set of keys is...
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats a good suggestion. The other thing I have read is that most robbers will not go to the second floor. I keep my expensive and rare coins including gold in the safe deposit box. But other coins are at my house. If anyone wanted to get to them, they would have to know EXACTLY where they were, and would have to break at least three deadbolts to get to them.

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gotta wonder where that missing set of keys is... >>

Agree. Someone from the store may pay Broadstruck a late night visit the next time he's out of town.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Thats a good suggestion. The other thing I have read is that most robbers will not go to the second floor. I keep my expensive and rare coins including gold in the safe deposit box. But other coins are at my house. If anyone wanted to get to them, they would have to know EXACTLY where they were, and would have to break at least three deadbolts to get to them.

Ankur >>

Not true in So Calif. Almost all new homes have master bedroom on second floor. The more expensive homes have wall safe built into adjoining walk-in-closet. All the action here is on the second floor.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Many safe companies will give you the facotry combo just by sending them the s/n too. A buddy of mine got a sentry safe from auction that was locked and no combo, called the company, had to fax them an "official" request and they sent him the combo. No verification if he owned it or anything.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

A burn barrel in the backyard proves handy with stuff like that. Yes, sorry, I attribute to global warming on a regular basis....but I feel better about my security.

Also, I just bought a nice gun safe that I store all my goodies in. If the crooks want it bad enough, for the trouble it would be to get to it and get into it, they can have it. I don't know why they would want a bunch of widget morgans anyhow? image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Locks keep honest people honest. >>

• Options

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    Or you could just order a few "bump" keys... image

These will open almost 99% of all locks....

bump keys
  • Options

<< <i>We spend a LOT of time on this forum on security and safety issues...

I purchased 2 new entry and dead bolt lock sets that where keyed alike yet one set was missing the keys.

I called the manufactures customer service dept and with just providing the key code sticker and upc code info they are sending out a set free of charge.

So if your installing a new lock set either by yourself, a locksmith, or a contractor make sure that you remove all the small stickers or printed info from the packaging prior to discarding.

As otherwise if placed in recycling or trash anyone who finds the packaging could gain entry into your home in just a few days with just a call to the lock set manufacturers customer service department. >>

I Hope these are the Bump Proof Locks. I see All the Stories on the News and youtube about "Bump Keys" and only certain Brands of Locks are safe anymore,It's really an eye opener!! Ray in Florida..
  • Options

<< <i>

Agree. Someone from the store may pay Broadstruck a late night visit the next time he's out of town. >>

Thanks PerryHall that made for a scary thought! image

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    so goto all that trouble to order a key when they could simply break
    out the glass of the door and unlock it or take a crow bar and pry
    it open in about a minute.

hm. i think they will not order a key.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biometric deadbolts work well. That's what I have.

and, they have come way down in price. Best thing is no keysimage

Stefanie

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great info. I'll definitely have to remember this.
  • Options

<< <i>so goto all that trouble to order a key when they could simply break
    out the glass of the door and unlock it or take a crow bar and pry
    it open in about a minute.

hm. i think they will not order a key. >>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing more apparent than numismatics on this forum, is paranoia.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you give us an example of what those codes look like? Just posting yours, or a picture of them here will be fine. imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only thing more apparent than numismatics on this forum, is paranoia.... image Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. Everyone knows that coin collectors are never targeted by thieves.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Biometric deadbolts work well. That's what I have.

and, they have come way down in price. Best thing is no keysimage

Stefanie

image >>

They work well until someone cuts off your finger to get into your house image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

They work well until someone cuts off your finger to get into your house image >>

Or the battery runs out and you forget your keys.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yikes, that is scary.

Can't take any chances. >>

me too! ...i even shedded my coin collection so they won't get that either!image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The only thing more apparent than numismatics on this forum, is paranoia.... image Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. Everyone knows that coin collectors are never targeted by thieves. >>

a savvy coin collector has his 1000s and 1000s of dollars worth of
    coins in safe deposit box and does not spread the info around the
    neighborhood or to his shifty family...

but i know what you meant. coins, cash, works of art, etc.. if you
    want them at home you better have a heck of an alarm system and
    such.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yikes, that is scary.

Can't take any chances. >>

me too! ...i even shedded my coin collection so they won't get that either!image >>

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Most people put the wrong locks on for the perimeter security to begin with. You do not need to rifle through someone's trash hooping to find the key code. All you need is a bump key. I doubt there is a lock on your local Home Depot's shelf that a determined burglar cannot compromise in seconds. Real security costs a bit more, but amortized over the lifeimes of the locks, it's cheap insurance.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file