Home Precious Metals
Options

Fake JM 10 oz bar?

I noticed this bar today listed on eBay. For some reason it looked strange to me at first glance. I then noticed the reverse is blank. Out of all the JM bars I've owned and viewed I've never seen a JM bar with a blank reverse unless the Assayers Refiners was listed first on the bar. I wonder if this bar is a fake or if its a newer bar.
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    He says it's in the original foil, so where's the foil in the pictures? And to a novice like me, it looks genuine!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen really good fake JM or engelhard Ag bars?
  • Options
    If this bar is fake I would say its a pretty good fake other than the blank reverse. I may purchase the bar to confirm or deny my suspicions.

Here are bars that should have JM repeating logo reverse:
    These type JM bars do have a blank reverse:
    Its all relative
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    it does look kind of funny. buy it and have it tested. Could be legit.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Rick....you are simply a JM STUDimage
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like it at all. There is something very "off" about it. But he has sold a 10 oz recently that looks legit ( 170302886530)

If you check out his other sales, almost everything has that insanely deep proof-like finish.

Maybe he's liquidating a collection for someone who just liked everything whizzed.
    Maybe he's selling silver plated chinese crap.
    Maybe he's just hyper-juicing his images.

Or maybe it's legit and I'm just paranoid.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He says it's in the original foil, so where's the foil in the pictures? >>

Maybe he has several to sell and took one out of the foil to photograph and will ship the winning bidder one in the original foil?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> Maybe he has several to sell and took one out of the foil to photograph and will ship the winning bidder one in the original foil?

He has this in the auction:

"This bar you will get is the one in the picture and has the serial number 121047. This bar came in the original plastic wrapper and was removed for cleaning."

• Options

<< <i>> Maybe he has several to sell and took one out of the foil to photograph and will ship the winning bidder one in the original foil?

He has this in the auction:

"This bar you will get is the one in the picture and has the serial number 121047. This bar came in the original plastic wrapper and was removed for cleaning." >>

Sounds like it had some tarnish and he dipped it to make it easier to sell.

• Options
    Must have left iin the dip too long and removed the design from the reverse.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Must have left iin the dip too long and removed the design from the reverse. >>

• Options
    I have 3 10's with blank backs..... and yes.....they are good.

The blank backs were the very first of the die struck bars.........

They were made for a VERY SHORT WHILE!!

I believe that this bar is good....... butttt tough to find.

Keep on stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    Do they say JM or AR on top of the bar?
    Its all relative
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I have a few of the JM 10's with the plain back sealed in plastic and they are legit. They came with both the 'FINE SILVER 999' logo in the long rectangle and the one that was more of a square.
  • Options
    Can one of you provide pics please?

Thanks
    Its all relative
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    good bar
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Sold many blank back 10 ozers.

We know JM struck blank back 5 gram , 10 gram bars etc, so it would be illogical
    to think that blank back 10 ozers are fake.

Not to mention the fact that they nailed the front, only to forget to press the back.
    Why the whole operation may have been compromised! image

Also the seller moves lots of quality Silver bars on eBay.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    JM Struck blank reverse 5, 10 Gram 1, 2, 5, 10 oz bars but they are a different style. This is the first blank reverse JM bar I've seen of this style. People do stupid things
    Its all relative