Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Lincoln PF vs. UNC

SO the proof mintage was 375 k (325k + 50k in the upcoming sets)

The MS version had only a 125k mintage..

...and the proof sells at a noticeable premium to the unc.

Won't there be 200 "sets" of only one version or is there just no interest in a low mintage unc.

sorry: edited to add

Abe L.

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lincoln's popularity will always help to pump these up somewhat, but the mintages aren't compelling. Proofs generally have a larger following, but a total mintage of 500,000 isn't really small enough to result in a scarcity situation, and even the 125,000 Uncs won't be scarce enough to generate very much premium due to the populations.

I'd say that whatever premiums that either the Proofs or the Uncs have - is because of Lincoln's stature and not due to mintage figures. That being the case, I'd guess that the pricing on both coins will be similar for a long time.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flipper fever will rule for a while... then, eventually, they will settle in for lower than issue. Cheers, RickO
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lincoln's popularity will always help to pump these up somewhat, but the mintages aren't compelling. Proofs generally have a larger following, but a total mintage of 500,000 isn't really small enough to result in a scarcity situation, and even the 125,000 Uncs won't be scarce enough to generate very much premium due to the populations.

I'd say that whatever premiums that either the Proofs or the Uncs have - is because of Lincoln's stature and not due to mintage figures. That being the case, I'd guess that the pricing on both coins will be similar for a long time. >>

who knows, in one hand they may follow in the footsteps of the Buffalo commems, in the other, the Ben Franklin or Marine Corps commems, ..
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes no difference. They are going to be hoarded in huge numbers and have little if any investment potential. The flippers better move quickly on these.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the uncs were 20,000 or less it would be a different story (in a few years) as it always lags a bit for people to figure out low mintage means hard to get.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file