Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Color Chart for the Thin Film Color Progression

2»

Comments

• Has the nomenclature caught on?
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has the nomenclature caught on? >>

When was the last time you saw an eBay listing that said "Monster P through T Colors!!!"?

OTOH, I thought it was an interesting discussion. Too bad Sunnywood now seems to have moved on to other interests.
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I remember when this thread was posted. Very informative!

For those who look for NT coins, I would think it would be a great aid in helpling to determine genuine NT.
    Dan
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow. Missed this one 2 years ago. Great post!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wow. Missed this one 2 years ago. Great post! >>

I think I will print the color chart off for future reference.

Thanks for bringing this one back around again.image

Mike
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. I thought it was rather interesting and well presented. I'm not a toner guy, but I'll have to take a look at what I do have with color and see how the coins map to this scale.
  • scoobydeuxscoobydeux Posts: 498 ✭✭
    So, was the question as to wheter this can be used to determine AT vs NT ever answered?
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Actually,Sunnywood was very knowledgeable as both a collector,and had a great knowledge of chemistry.The answe to the AT/NT question was not specifically answered,and unfortunately the coin doctors are getting better.Was talking to an old toner dealer today and we both agreed on this.Just an FYIimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    This is one of those posts I love to see re-surface now and then, it's certainly more interesting than some of the ebay related posts that appear here lately. image
  • scoobydeuxscoobydeux Posts: 498 ✭✭

<< <i>Actually,Sunnywood was very knowledgeable as both a collector,and had a great knowledge of chemistry.The answe to the AT/NT question was not specifically answered,and unfortunately the coin doctors are getting better.Was talking to an old toner dealer today and we both agreed on this.Just an FYIimage >>

Thanks for the thought on the AT/NT question.

Um, is the reference to Sunnywood in the past tense a result of his given up collecting, something more ominous, or just an oversight?
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    PM sent re Doug's withdrawal from collecting
    TahoeDale
    Nothing ominous,Doug is just a good friend,and we both said a few years ago that the docs were getting scary good,and some people just got fed up,thats all!image
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I remember this thread ... and I miss the OP ... he was a great contributor here, and his collections were amazing!

Hope you are well Doug, if you are reading this.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite forum members and a great post!

Thanks for reposting...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep....this is one of the memorable threads... Cheers, RickO
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a monster toned 1961 Proof Franklin that I bought last year (PCGS PR65).
    It was fun matching up the colors on the reverse to the Sunnywood color chart.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any way to reverse engineer this process and tell me what my 2013 silver eagle will look like in 2025. image

Interesting work.image Still can't figure out why?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>any way to reverse engineer this process and tell me what my 2013 silver eagle will look like in 2025. image

Interesting work.image Still can't figure out why? >>

Can't figure out why what? Why colors change and in a predictable order? If so, it's a result of the thickness of the deposit on the coin. Different wavelengths of light are refracted/reflected in different ways which depend on the thickness, resulting in different colors as different visual frequencies predominate. A more detailed explanation requires an advanced course in quantum electrodynamics.

Yes, it's theoretically possible (at least IMO) to tell you what your 2013 silver eagle will look like in 2025, provided you can control the rate of deposition of toning onto your coin. For example, stored in a vacuum I would expect your 2013 eagle to look the same in 2025.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    quantum electrodynamics

Wave theory and interference patterns, more like.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
    And other than one,or two,i am out of my big dollar toners.Market and collecting habits changeimage
  • howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>quantum electrodynamics

Wave theory and interference patterns, more like. >>

Different explanations for the same phenomena.
  • It might be good if there were a forum for just this sort of stuff - a "newbies primer", "Things to Consider" - I don't know.
    Might help the newer collectors find what they need.

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I feel like I'm sitting in as Sunnywood presents his dissertation. There are some thoughtful questions being asked, and always that one person who really puts the presenter through their paces. I am one who will not pay more for a coin just because it has pretty colors, so this is of no interest to me, but it is fun to watch the back-and-forth arguments. image
    Matt
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all so simple.

• << <i>It might be good if there were a forum for just this sort of stuff - a "newbies primer", "Things to Consider" - I don't know.
    Might help the newer collectors find what they need.

Best wishes,
    Eric >>

This Eric is a great idea and it is sad that you are no longer able to post here, it is a loss.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool idea- I have never heard of this or seen this before for toners... I'll give this a bump for the other "newbies" of this forum that haven't seen this concept before.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread certainly deserves resurrection from time to time...great information. It would

be great to have 'library' of valuable threads that could be accessed for reference purposes.

Cheers, RickO
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    This thread certainly deserves resurrection from time to time...great information. It would
    be great to have 'library' of valuable threads that could be accessed for reference purposes.
    Cheers, RickO

I agree 100% that there should be a thread dedicated to educational/informative/need to know posts and information.

The users ATS have something similar with WYNTK ("What you need to know" or something like that).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file