Was incapsulated 100% White, Started Pretty toning, then went to Bad
Don't have a pic of it white. It has set on the shelf for a few years
First set of pics not sure when
Second set of pics 4/09
3rd set 1/11

Comments

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those would be worth cracking out and attempting a quick dip in a fresh batch of solution...couldn't hurt all things considered.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those would be worth cracking out and attempting a quick dip in a fresh batch of solution...couldn't hurt all things considered. >>

image but try to only dip the obverse, the reverse looks nice!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be patient, toning is not linear. It has more changes in store.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Yikes! image
  • Options
    What happened to what started out to be a beautiful toning?image
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those would be worth cracking out and attempting a quick dip in a fresh batch of solution...couldn't hurt all things considered. >>

What do you mean "Those"? This is one coin, at two points in time! (Check the slab serial numbers.)

Actually, I'd leave it be. It's a really great example of a coin toning in the slab. Do you know when it was slabbed as '100% White'? It would be great to know the timeline here, and what the storage conditions were (i.e. lighting, temperature, humidity, etc.). Also, when was the first pic taken?

Thanks for posting!

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I would crack them out and dip them before real damage is done. IMO, that slab add nothing to its value.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    NOTE TO SELF: Never buy a PCI Slab!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would crack them out and dip them before real damage is done. IMO, that slab add nothing to its value. >>

That depends on your perspective, because the slab is what is causing the toning in the first place. That one looks like it is from just after PCI started its steep decline (14-digit serial number, but still using the green border), and I have seen countless older PCI holders with "white" coins that have toned over time. Most of them look like your first picture, with that burnt orange/rust color transitioning to purple. I admit I'm morbidly curious what other changes are in store for the color on your coin, as it has already progressed further than the ones I've seen.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    It's a little scary!!
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I'm morbidly curious what other changes are in store for the color on your coin, as it has already progressed further than the ones I've seen.

I dont think enything good can come after that black toning.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    looks horrible
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    doesn't DGS use those slabs now at David Lawrence? Would be interesting to see how coins in their holders react over time.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Maybe a disgruntled PCI grader ƒarted into your slab B4 sealing ! eww
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    If you can dip it now, you can dip it latter. Unless you want to sell it right away, I'd just sit on it as an experiment. If the toning turns out nice latter, you'll be happy. If it doesn't, dip it and start over with a Taco Bell napkin.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, that Obv is a train wreck ?
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

ew

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Those are silver bullion. Worth a bit over spot silver. Color no matter
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Coins and tobacco products don't do well together. Smoke on the porch or just quit all together.image
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    This is nothing unusual.

Just like the older fattie NGC slabs, those older green label PCI holders do cause toning on silver coins over time. More than likely some chemical or process used in the production of those white inner cores.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a piece of bullion.........I wouldn't bother worrying about it. An oz of silver is an oz of silver, regardless of the color.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would crack them out and dip them before real damage is done. IMO, that slab add nothing to its value. >>

<gasp> Are you implying that "toning" will actually DAMAGE the piece?

All them MONSTER toner collectors ain't gonna like to hear that!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    As ricko says....thats tarnish!!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    it looks like those PCI inserts will keep on attcking those 'white coins' until they turn black

somewhere along the line, they need cracked out, neutralized and reslabbed PCGS or NGC
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Gawd, it appears it's the PCI slab... just what're they making these things out of? I have no experience with the effects of smoking on coins in the house, but this musta been the RJ Reynolds employee lunchroom, considering how the coin looks...

Seriously, though, until now, I'd never considered the quality of the plastic itself to be in question. Could this be more common than we realize?
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    Mine still look fantastic. Purchased a few years ago and stored in IS slab protectors, the toning has advanced at all.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    It may be too late to dip. The areas that are toned black, may be etched into the coin.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I have many PCI-toned SAE's. Some I think are fantastic, others are absolute crap. Here's an example broken out of a PCI slab and placed directly in a DANSCO:

imageimage

EXACT same coin about 6 months later in the DANSCO:

Coin has been stable at this color for a year or two now.

PCGS opted to call this one genuine, which doesn't really matter to me, I wanted the photo. However, I see many PCI SAE's now residing in PCGS slabs with this tell-tale color scheme that are graded. Some thick like this one, some narrow towards the rim.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine still look fantastic. Purchased a few years ago and stored in IS slab protectors, the toning has advanced at all. >>

Not sure if I agree with your assessment. Especially the first coin. The obverse appears to have a case of "milk spots."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file