Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Final mintages for Puerto Rico Quarters have been released, and ...

thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
...they have a lower mintage (86 million/ Denver, 53 mil./ Philly) than any of the 50 State Quarters that were minted . Of course, P.R. isn't a state, but I would imagine that anyone collecting the State Quarters is considering D.C. and the other four territories as an extension of that series, aren't they? Maybe not.

Anyone here buying the two roll sets or small bags of these?

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
- Jim

Comments

• Options
    I think the D.C. & Territories will be ignored IMO. I haven't put together a state quarter set or ordered any state quarter rolls/bags from the mint, but I did order a Silver Proof Set of the D.C. & Territories.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    shouldnt we have trillions and trillions of coins minted for this and the next 3 years atleast?
    where the hell is all this stimulous money theyre pumping into the market.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...they have a lower mintage (86 million/ Denver, 53 mil./ Philly) than any of the 50 State Quarters that were minted . >>

Wow. That Philly quarter will be as hard to find in circulation
    as the '68-D within only a few years. If people selectively re-
    move it it will be almost impossible to find in a few more years.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    image So you mean there will ONLY be about 140 million (140,000,000) of these to go around??? Better load up your closet full while you still can!image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't these just go on sale today? Hard to believe they are already done minting them.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    There are six different quarters being issued this year, rather than five during the past 10 years. And the Fed makes a production order from the mint based on their perceived needs at the time. So there is basically a two month window to mint any single design before moving on to the next one.
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    I checked some local (Vegas) banks when the new lincoln came out... nada for the penny and DC quarters. They said they didn't know anything about the new penny or the DCQ; and they don't special order cents.

I got the feeling they were just happy once the Hawaii quarter came out... many BoA and Wells Fargo's here had waiting lists for the Hawaii quarter; maybe its because we have a lot of 'hawaiians' here; whatever... so I doubt they will order the PRQ. I also noticed that the 1000 coin DCQ seemed to sell out pretty quick... especially the philly.

As for the PRQ info... dang that info came out fast... does somebody have a link?

• Options

<< <i>Didn't these just go on sale today? Hard to believe they are already done minting them. >>

<< <i>As for the PRQ info... dang that info came out fast... does somebody have a link? >>

If you subscribe to any of Amos Publications magazines, like Coin Values, World Wide Coins, Paper Money Values, etc., they now automatically email you their digital version of Coin World, and the article is in their latest, April 13, 2009 digital magazine. You can probably also do a Goggle search and find the same information from other sources.
    - Jim
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't these just go on sale today? Hard to believe they are already done minting them. >>

I was walking the floor of the Philadelphia Mint on Feb. 3, and they were making Puerto Rico quarters that day.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the C.W. article, the P.R. quarter production is the lowest since the 1961, 62 quarter production.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Demand for coins is way down due to the recession, I'm sure. Sounds similar to the low, intermittent mintages of the early 1930's.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine that anyone collecting the State Quarters is considering D.C. and the other four territories as an extension of that series, aren't they? Maybe not.

i suspect that after 10years of SHQ's many have been burned out and won't continue a series that has ended with one designed to continue it. already there is a much, much slower stream of buyers for the DC's and the most common response we get from people in the shop is that they won't be collecting these.

According to the C.W. article, the P.R. quarter production is the lowest since the 1961, 62 quarter production.

this is a bit misleading and comes across to me as nothing but marketing hype. multiply the mintage figures by six(86 million/ Denver, 53 mil./ Philly) and the actual number struck is staggering, over 800 million!!!!! consider that 1961-1962 Quarter output from both Mints including Proofs was less than 300 million and it puts things in perspective. it's really an apples and oranges kind of thing, sort of like when we try to compare the number of coins struck nowadays with the number struck during the mid 1800's or even earlier in this century. as collectors we quite often lose sight of the fact that coinage is struck to facilitate commerce.........................until 1999 that is. now it is apparently struck to facilitate collecting quasi-commemoratives, but i digress.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people will collect both state quarters and territorial quarters.

Many people will collect only state quarters.

Few people will collect only territorial quarters.

Therefore, there will be less demand for territorial quarters than for state quarters.

As for the national parks quarters, time will tell.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    richrich Posts: 364
    Went to 7 banks to get the Philly PR Quarter.Only one bank had 3 rolls.That was all they had, and they weren't ordering any more.The other banks said they wont be ordering any due to low interest.I also asked about the new cents.Apparently,the mint is going to mix them with other dates and not ship whole rolls of one design.That might not happen for a few more months depending on demand.I can see the rest of the territory program getting even lower mintages as we go along.The Fed has way too much inventory on State Quarters already to strike any more coins.I think that the PR Quarter will be extremely hard to find.JMHO.
    The craziness has already started on Ebay.PR Rolls going for $16 and up.Single coins for $2-2.50.
    added: BTW I am in Connecticut.

My Feebay items

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of folks don't even know about the extension to the series. Heck, the various albums and everything they bought long ago only has slots for the 50 states so there is no reason for the semi educated casual collector to even know about the additional coins.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options

<< <i>Went to 7 banks to get the Philly PR Quarter.Only one bank had 3 rolls.That was all they had, and they weren't ordering any more.The other banks said they wont be ordering any due to low interest.I also asked about the new cents.Apparently,the mint is going to mix them with other dates and not ship whole rolls of one design.That might not happen for a few more months depending on demand.I can see the rest of the territory program getting even lower mintages as we go along.The Fed has way too much inventory on State Quarters already to strike any more coins.I think that the PR Quarter will be extremely hard to find.JMHO.
    The craziness has already started on Ebay.PR Rolls going for $16 and up.Single coins for $2-2.50.
    >>

Very interesting. Thanks.

My bank said they won't be getting any at all for the foreseeable
    future because coins are flowing back to the FED and they won't
    bring them in displacing even more coin.

Of course as soon as the economy picks up they should start be-
    ing seen but that's probably at least a year away here and we'll
    see parks coins by then.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last I read in Numismatic News is that the rolls and bags for this quarter are selling very well. My best guess is that this issue will be similar to other issues that are low mintage (50-D nickel, 31-S cent): people will save a larger percentage of them in MS than other dates, so they will be scarcer and might have a premium, but not much.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I'll only pick out a few of the best gems to keep, flip or spend the rest. Maybe hold a couple of bank rolls.
    Not too much trouble getting the PR quarters here, but the DC's were very not available at all from the local banks.
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i suspect that after 10years of SHQ's many have been burned out and won't continue a series that has ended with one designed to continue it. already there is a much, much slower stream of buyers for the DC's and the most common response we get from people in the shop is that they won't be collecting these. >>

You sum it up well. So far the people I know who have been collecting the state quarters (mostly casual collectors) are saying basically that they don't have a place to add them to their 50 state map holders so they won't be collecting them. One guy I work with who collects the state quarters didn't know the mint was even making territory quarters, so obviously the publicity is not there. He didn't really seem interested at all when I told him I was looking at getting some. In the past either he or I would give each other the newest state quarter release depending on who got a roll first.

I just don't see a whole lot of interest and supplies should prove to be readily available.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    My father lives in Puerto Rico and he basicaly tells me he can get as much as I want, so Im loading up on them and at face value to boot. I have one coming that has been postmarked by the post office where the ceremony was held so thats pretty cool. Seems to me like they take the quarters and distribute the majority of them to the place that it honors so it would seem to me most quarters are in Puerto Rico. If you take the amount of Philly quarters and divide it by the amt of people that live in PR which is 4 million that would give you approximately only 14 quarters per resident which is not much. Im stocking on rolls of quarters and I have 7 rolls coming pretty soon.

It is expected that the later quarters will be evn more limited
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm stopping with the Territory quarters as far as trying to get 1 roll each for my kids. I will collect the National Parks quarters in 1 folder each, but not try for any rolls - - just too burned-out from 11 years of asking for rolls of each state quarter forever & ever.............

But I also like the idea of putting TR on the obverse at least temporarily for the national Parks' run - - a BULLY idea!!image

In the meantime, my hunt for Puerto Rico rolls continues in the Philly area. Anyone know a good bank to get a few rolls at?

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    >>I also asked about the new cents.Apparently,the mint is going to mix them with other dates and not ship whole rolls of one design.<<

I picked up a solid date roll of 2009-D cents at my bank today. They would only sell me one roll, though, so supplies must be limited.

• Options
    HOW do you know it's a solid-date roll unless you open it, or it came labeled as such directly from the Mint?image
  • Options
    I opened it, gave some to my friends and business associates. More fun than selling it for a few bucks.

• Options
    Rodzm;

Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Rodzm;

Welcome aboard. >>

Thanks for the welcome...I normallly post on Kitco forums and Goldismoney.info boards and Im glad to have joined here to learn more about collecting. I started collecting coins many years ago, well about 20 years ago. Stopped for a while and now Im back into it. I know Im new here but if anybody is looking for a roll or two just let me know and I can work something out wether it is from my personal rolls or have my dad send me more. Over there he seems to get them rather easily and with not trouble at all.

Ive spoken to one coin dealer on Ebay who lives in Puerto Rico and he basically reassures me that there really is not many stores or collectors over there. Its jusr not as popular. My dad has been informed by the biggest bank in Puerto Rico that they will be receiving bags of the new Lincoln pennies next week and that if they sell them by bulk they will not be in boxes but rather in rolls placed in canvas bags. Not sure why it is any different than in the states but interesting. So with that being said Ill be also getting $25 in 2009 Lincolns next week and maybe getting more quarters.

Keep an eye out for thext ones coming out because they are expected to be limited and if my theory proves right the majority of the respective territotry quarters will be distributed in the place they honor and leave a smaller amount for the states
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    [qAnyone here buying the two roll sets or small bags of these? >>

Yes,

Joe
  • Options
    I bought 1 bag of 100 coins of each mint. Hopefully next paycheck i can buy 1 set of the rolls.

Im looking at loading up on more of the 2009 silver proof sets. I bet you those will be as expensive to get as the 1999 just a few years from now.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a roll of PRD quarters Thursday here in MT. They did have a few of the new pennies a few weeks ago, but they went fast, so I struck out there.

Got a roll of the DC-P quarters at the bank in the basement of Union Station when I was in DC two weeks ago, if anyone is looking for them. Oddly, I was looking for CIRCULATED rolls, but am glad I picked up one of these!

And, I gotta add here, that I think anyone who is serious about the State Quarters is eventually going to want the territorial issues as well. This seems like a big mistake for people to drop the series now. I do love those low mintages, though! Keeps collecting interesting!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up a roll of PRD quarters Thursday here in MT. They did have a few of the new pennies a few weeks ago, but they went fast, so I struck out there.

Got a roll of the DC-P quarters at the bank in the basement of Union Station when I was in DC two weeks ago, if anyone is looking for them. Oddly, I was looking for CIRCULATED rolls, but am glad I picked up one of these!

And, I gotta add here, that I think anyone who is serious about the State Quarters is eventually going to want the territorial issues as well. This seems like a big mistake for people to drop the series now. I do love those low mintages, though! Keeps collecting interesting! >>

When people drop a series it usually bites people in the rear. With low mintages and being a one year series, I think it is destined to be a huge hit. Think about it, the PR quarter is the first coin in Puerto Rico history or US history to be inscribed in Spanish

Check out his article and judge for yourself...http://secure.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=6598
  • Options
    >>Im looking at loading up on more of the 2009 silver proof sets. I bet you those will be as expensive to get as the 1999 just a few years from now.<<

Maybe not. In 1999 the only way to get state quarters in silver was to buy the full silver proof set. In recent years silver quarters have been available in either full sets or state-quarter-only sets, resulting in higher overall mintages for the silver quarters.

One nice thing about the 2009 silver quarter sets is that the metal value for the 6 quarters is currently about $13.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Rodzm;

Welcome aboard. >>

Thanks for the welcome...I normallly post on Kitco forums and Goldismoney.info boards and Im glad to have joined here to learn more about collecting. I started collecting coins many years ago, well about 20 years ago. Stopped for a while and now Im back into it. I know Im new here but if anybody is looking for a roll or two just let me know and I can work something out wether it is from my personal rolls or have my dad send me more. Over there he seems to get them rather easily and with not trouble at all.

Ive spoken to one coin dealer on Ebay who lives in Puerto Rico and he basically reassures me that there really is not many stores or collectors over there. Its jusr not as popular. My dad has been informed by the biggest bank in Puerto Rico that they will be receiving bags of the new Lincoln pennies next week and that if they sell them by bulk they will not be in boxes but rather in rolls placed in canvas bags. Not sure why it is any different than in the states but interesting. So with that being said Ill be also getting $25 in 2009 Lincolns next week and maybe getting more quarters.

Keep an eye out for thext ones coming out because they are expected to be limited and if my theory proves right the majority of the respective territotry quarters will be distributed in the place they honor and leave a smaller amount for the states >>

Check out our precious metals forum. If you like Kitco
    you should like it. You can use the navigation drop down
    menu.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I picked up a roll of PRD quarters Thursday here in MT. They did have a few of the new pennies a few weeks ago, but they went fast, so I struck out there.

And, I gotta add here, that I think anyone who is serious about the State Quarters is eventually going to want the territorial issues as well. This seems like a big mistake for people to drop the series now. I do love those low mintages, though! Keeps collecting interesting! >>

When people drop a series it usually bites people in the rear. With low mintages and being a one year series, I think it is destined to be a huge hit. Think about it, the PR quarter is the first coin in Puerto Rico history or US history to be inscribed in Spanish

Check out his article and judge for yourself...http://secure.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=6598 >>

This is the link to Numismaster.

It will be interesting to see if people sick away a lot of
    these or not.

In the old days it would be a sure winner because most
    people wouldn't have access to them but now days peo-
    ple can afford to set aside large quantities.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that anyone collecting the State Quarters is considering D.C. and the other four territories D.C. is not a territory. So the program covers D.C. and the 5 US Territories: Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Northern Marianas Islands.

I my world, this is important. US rules for radio spectrum us apply in the US&P..... United STates and Possessions.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    rodzm:

Welsome to the Forum! Please enable your "Private Message" option - - I'd be interested in some Puerto Rico rolls or singles. Thanks!

- - Dave image
  • Options

<< <i>image So you mean there will ONLY be about 140 million (140,000,000) of these to go around??? Better load up your closet full while you still can!image >>

Eh, in the grand scheme of things its actually not that many. That's one quarter for every 2.1 Americans.
  • Options

<< <i> D.C. is not a territory. So the program covers D.C. and the 5 US Territories: Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Northern Marianas Islands. >>

Yes, I was already aware that DC is not a state nor a U.S. Territory, but a "District", so probably should have left out the word "other" (four territories) in my previous post to avoid confusion. Thank you also for mentioning that there are not just four, but five U.S. Territories in the Mint's offerings this year.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>rodzm:

Welsome to the Forum! Please enable your "Private Message" option - - I'd be interested in some Puerto Rico rolls or singles. Thanks!

- - Dave image >>

Sorry about that I got my PM's open right now. I know Im new here and to some it raises a few flags if you want to deal with them but you may check out my Ebay screename mannyscollectibles where I have 100% feedback. I also go under rodzm at Kitco forums as well as goldismoney.info

If thats not enough I also co-admin an 80's cartoon website http://www.thundercatslair.org/about/team.html

As i said earlier in the post I currently have 7 rolls coming in and can easily request some from my dad in Puerto Rico. Let me know via PM how many rolls youre interested, and i can send the request to my dad. I would only ask for face value on the coins plus coverage for shipping and paypal fees. Nothing more nothing less since Im not really here to make money and trutfully making 1 or 2 bucks off a roll is rather petty
  • Options
    Well I just received some rolls from my dad who lives in P.R. , personal rolls and every single one of them was heads/tails. In addition, every single roll was from the Philadelphia mint which is nice because they have the lowest mintages.One thing that bothered me was that the majority of the coins looked dirty. It seemed as if they were ran through water and hung out to dry leaving brownish spots all over. Does anybody know why that is...Check out the pics to see what I mean. Not all the coins are like that, this is one of the worst samples. BUt I really doubt that someone just dropped a whole bunch of quarters and rolled them....the rolls were dry and came straight from the bank

Any insight or opinion as to why they look like that would be appreciated. By the way requests for rolls are closed for now due to pending fulfillment for some members. Those that contacted me for rolls will be contacted back when they arrive

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Yuck. I wonder if this could be grease from the machines?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Probably natural toning from being stored in the rolls for so many thousands of minutes! image

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people would say "nice toning"image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Belated PM sent.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered the 2-roll set from the Mint April 3, they arrived yesterday.
  • Options
    For those that placed requests, the rolls are en route

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file