Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

1909th Post Giveaway!! – 1909-S PCGS Graded Semi-Key Date Lincoln Cent! - WINNER is TrainNut!!!!

Just wanted to take the time to say that I have received so much from everyone here on the Forum over the past year since I joined, in both knowledge and in great deals on the BST and also providing me a forum to sell a bit on the BST too image so I am happy to once again give a little back! Given that my primary focus in collecting right now is building my 1909 Mint Set (see link in signature line), figured a 1909th post giveaway would be somewhat appropriate. Somehow I felt the need to make this one a little more special than my 25th post giveaway, my 99th post giveaway, my 500th post giveaway or even my 1188th post giveaway. And, it would be just wrong if the giveaway didn’t involve a coin dated 1909. And why not make the prize a PCGS graded semi-key date Lincoln???

1909-S Lincoln Cent PCGS F12 - I think it’s a pretty nice chocolate brown example with no apparent problems.

imageimage

Edited to add these close-up shots. Apparently I'm not that great at taking pics of brown copper. The coin isn't really this dark or blurry in hand image The color really looks more like the pics above. Also, those white marks in the photo are on the slab and not on the coin:

imageimage

How to Enter:

So, in order to win the 1909-S Lincoln Cent PCGS F12 all you have to do is guess how much money is in the bowl pictured below!! The winner will be selected randomly from those who guess within $2.50 of the correct answer by Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 10:00am PST. I don’t know how much is in the bowl so I can’t help anyone, sorry. Sometime on Saturday, after the entry deadline, I will take the coins to a CoinStar machine and will post a scan of the receipt for verification (I need some Amazon credit so no fees image).

Extra Help for the YNs:

If you are under 25, I’ll include your name in the random drawing as long as your answer is within $5.00 of the correct answer. Just add “+/- $5.00” after your guess so I know image

If you are under 18, I’ll include your name in the random drawing as long as your answer is within $10.00 of the correct answer. Just add “+/- $10.00” after your guess so I know image

If you are 14 or under, I’ll include your name in the random drawing as long as your answer is within $25.00 of the correct answer. Just add “+/- $25.00” after your guess so I know image

And if you really want to help out the YNs (and/or some of the others entrants), please do not submit a guess unless you want to keep this coin. Wouldn’t be very fun for any of us if we all see the winner flipping it on the BST next week image

Hints:

Here is some information that may or may not help you:

The bowl is a curved and mirrored metal bowl that is approximately 3.5 inches high and 9 inches in diameter. The diameter at the bottom of the bowl is approximately 3 inches. The bowl weighs 13.2 ounces empty. The bowl full of coins weighs 8 pounds 9.4 ounces. Most of the coins in the bowl will be cents, with probably a larger percentage of coppers over zinc as I was saving them for some reason awhile back. There is also at least one full roll of new dollar coins in the bowl.

Good luck to all and thanks again!

Ok everyone, the giveaway is over and the results are in!!!!!!! The machine wouldn’t connect to the internet or whatever is needed to give me Amazon credit, but it did let me get cash without the normal fees, so even better!

$72.81!!!!!

Here are some statistics:

Total number of guesses: 170
Average Guess: $58.24
Highest Guess: $420.00 (Robb)
Lowest Guess: $16.43 (jmj3esq) come on… I said there were at least $25 dollar coins in there!! image
Closest to the correct amount: $72.84 (ArizonaJack) not too bad!!

Number of Finalists: 14 and they are:

savoyspecial $72.33 +/- $2.50
ArizonaJack $72.84 +/- $2.50
InternetJunky $75.00 +/- $2.50
mojoman $49.94 +/- $25.00
unknowncomic $76.89 +/- $25.00
Billet7 $72.72 +/- $2.50
Rampage $73.87 +/- $2.50
gemstatecoins $74.13 +/- $2.50
TrainNut $80.00 +/- $25.00
Con4Coins $68.88 +/- $25.00
Brie13 $62.22 +/- $25.00
rjsvt $73.04 +/- $2.50
JohnLocke24 $72.33 +/- $5.00
nalamolly5 $71.53 +/- $2.50

Congratulations to you all for your good guesses image

Unfortunately, I only have one 1909-S to give away, so I put all of the finalists names into my old beat up Cubs hat an drew the following name:

TrainNut $80.00 +/- $25.00

Congrats to TrainNut!!! And thanks to all 170 of you who entered image

Comments