Home Precious Metals
Options

1/3rd completion of the gold panda regular issued UNC series!

I passed another milestone yesterday with the delivery of a 1995 gold 1/4 oz panda. That piece put me just past the 1/3rd threshhold on my way to completing the entire regular issued gold panda date/denomination set. The gold panda was created in 1982, and has been a very popular collectable ever since. With the design change each year (except 2001-02), and the 5 different sizes (just 4 sizes for 1982), this set has something for any budget. Currently, counting the 2009 coins, there are a staggering 139 different coins to complete the whole set. Even more impressive is the fact that a complete set will weigh 53.15 troy ounces of pure gold!!! Although I have 61 different coins so far, my total weight is just 17.80 troy ounces, thus putting me right at 1/3rd completion. With current gold prices, this is a very slow going process for all but the very wealthy. Below is a photo of my collection so far, minus 2 smaller coins in slabs that would have taken up too much room. It doesnt look like much, but this is over 17 troy ounces of gold.

Comments

• Options
    You keep throwing out the 17 troy ounces number, but we all know they're worth more than that.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the whole collection worth in its current state of 33% completion?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    could there be any possible fakes in there or are all checked out and made sure none are fake.........them chinese counterfeiters get better every year
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>You keep throwing out the 17 troy ounces number, but we all know they're worth more than that.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the whole collection worth in its current state of 33% completion? >>

I would need to itemize each coin to give a totally accurate number. But as a quick conservative guess (there are quite a few keys in here), I'd wager somewhere between $19 and $23k. Again, i'd have to itemize them individually to get a better answer. Below is what seems to be the most common pricing for non-key date coins.

1 oz.............melt +6%
    1/2oz...........melt +8%
    1/4oz...........melt +10%
    1/10oz.........melt +18%
    1/20thoz......melt +30%

Those figures are for common dates. The "keys" are all over the board. I paid $1250 for a 1/2 oz last month. The 1998 1/10th routinely sells for around $300. The 1982 1oz is an automatic double melt+. And there are a bunch of others in different dates and sizes.

Edited to add: Those 3 slabbed 1 ozers you see in the photo are the 1998, 1995, and 1996. They are all "keys" and sell for about $1,300, $1,700, and $1,250 respectively.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your milestone Gecko!!

I do enjoy the series, particualrly the later years with the blazing GOLD fields and pandas.
    The rimless one ouncer is sure a beauty!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>could there be any possible fakes in there or are all checked out and made sure none are fake.........them chinese counterfeiters get better every year >>

The problem with counterfeiting a gold coin to the point where its a real "fooler" is that you need to make it out of gold. Otherwise the coin will either be underweight, or oversized. There are a few dates that would be worth doing this with, but I have yet to see a single counterfeit GOLD panda ever. There are plenty of fake silver ones though, so watch out! Lead and silver share the same specific gravity!
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    What attracted you to Pandas in the first place?
  • Options

<< <i>What attracted you to Pandas in the first place? >>

Several reasons. They are very pretty coins for starters. They are common enough to be able to find a few at most large shows, but rare enough that you wont ever see a table full of them. The designs change each year, which makes wanting to own each different design easy. They are .999 fine gold, so even though im having fun "collecting coins", im actually putting away a valuable commodity at the same time. And finally, there is enough variety with the years and sizes to make completion a challenge, yet not a single TRUE STOPPER (there are a few tough keys tho) to discourage one from trying to complete the set.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Unbelieveable collection of Panda's! Gecko do you have the 25th anniversary gold or silver sets?
  • Options

<< <i>Unbelieveable collection of Panda's! Gecko do you have the 25th anniversary gold or silver sets?[/q

Thanks. I have the silver set, all graded 69's and 70's by NGC. The gold coins are just so dang small!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Unbelieveable collection of Panda's! Gecko do you have the 25th anniversary gold or silver sets?[/q

Thanks. I have the silver set, all graded 69's and 70's by NGC. The gold coins are just so dang small!!! >>

image I agree. Which gold panda and year is your favorite in your collection and do you collect the silver too besides the anniversary set?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks. I have the silver set, all graded 69's and 70's by NGC. The gold coins are just so dang small!!! >>

image I agree. Which gold panda and year is your favorite in your collection and do you collect the silver too besides the anniversary set? >>

My favorite design is the 1996...hence my avatar pic. My favorite coin is the 1998 half ounce because of its extreme scarcity. I have a complete set (minus the 2009) of the silver panda UNCS 1989-present. I also have a "complete" set of the silver proofs, 1983-1996. Although the registry makes space for the 3 colorized coins (97,98, and 99) I dont consider them part of the proof set, so I have just the first 12 pieces. 11 of them are graded PCGS/NGC, with the only exception being the 1993 proof. Simply have not gotten around to that yet. Check out my youtube vid!image

Silver panda proof set
  • Options
    Wow!! VERY impressive! That was a cool video. I would love to see a video of your unc collection someday. image You are the panda king!!!