Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory

Comments

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2024 4:17PM
    OK - using my max Photoshop skills I decided to really look at the "end" of the streak in an effort to determine how the streak may continue to Knepper.

But looking at it closely - the streak may well end at Tapani/Lawton. The trend seems to be towards an end in the upper right and left of these cards. The pattern does not seem to indicate a strong push towards the Northwest. (Note on the Tapani that the upper most black line is barely disturbed and on the streak is definetly being squeezed tight between Tapani and Lawton in the top of those cards.)

Curious to see RichTree's Knepper though.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Maybe it's a small "island" like a few others, including the ones you show have. ?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Could be, but nothing has come up to this point. Just saying that we may very well have found the edge.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    here they are.....I must have been drinking. I have a friend that has a theory on how to find these. So far not so good., lol.

I will report back with me next batchimage[/IMG]
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    Buying:
  • Options

<< <i>FWIW I opened a 1990 Topps wax box today. All correct versions of the blackless cards, but a broken border Mattingly.

Edit: Along those lines, will anyone with some 1990 Topps lying around look at the bottom left border of a Ventura? I got 2 that are similar to the Mattingly. Wondering if it's a variation or if they're all like that. Thanks! >>

Hey Slanty-

I pretty much only collect Ventura (beyond variations) and would love to trade or buy one of these if one becomes available. Let me know!
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are your images richtree

• Options
    thanks for the update barf.....

Ok, here is the deal guys. I heard that the factory set boxes (holdiay versions only) have been producing the blackless 1990 topps border breaks.

I really don't have the time, money, or access to buy some but this seems to be a big rumor that 2 people think has validity.

That's where i got the above cards from. The holdiay versions have Ken Griffey pictured on the set box.

If this is true, all I ask is if maybe someone could hook me up with any of their doubles... .!!!!

I didn't want to hold the info until I purchased a bunch to check it out.

thank guys
    Buying:
  • Options
    The holiday sets are where my Mike Scott, Doug Drabek and Roger Salkeld (all shown in this thread) came from. The Scott and Drabek in one set and the Salkeld from a different one.

Unfortunately I have never seen a Thomas NNOF or any of the other "streak" affected cards come from these sets.

• Options
    any new finds?
    Buying:
  • Options
    i found rookiewax selling packs from a case other than the one where he pulled his nnof thomas cards on ebay.

he is also now selling one of his partial blackless thomas... starting bid $55
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Welcome jaamzw. If you get a chance, turn on your PMs in under the "profile" tab at the top right.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I decided to put a partial blackless Thomas up for sale. I had absolutely no idea what to set the minimum at. Also, I have a few important things I discovered while looking through the errors again. The first thing is something I mentioned before, but now I have a scan. In this first scan (if Donovan can post it for me), you will see some of my blackless errors have a horizontal scratch across the middle left side, as does the Knepper card. I only got one of each card with this scratch. I think its safe to assume they came from the same scratched sheet. This is pretty good evidence that the Knepper did not get affected at all by the blackless streak.

The second thing is shown in my 2nd photo. You will see the regular blackless Tapani card along with one of my partial blackless Tapani cards. Notice that they both have the same random, very light slanted blue print line straight down the card across his face and down through the E in KEVIN. All of my Tapani full and partial errors had this same blue line, while my completely normal Tapani cards did not have this line...and neither do any other Tapani cards I could find. Again, this adds to all of earlier evidence and indications that the full and partial blackless error cards all likely came from the same printing press and plate.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, I decided to put a partial blackless Thomas up for sale. I had absolutely no idea what to set the minimum at. Also, I have a few important things I discovered while looking through the errors again. The first thing is something I mentioned before, but now I have a scan. In this first scan (if Donovan can post it for me), you will see some of my blackless errors have a horizontal scratch across the middle left side, as does the Knepper card. I only got one of each card with this scratch. I think its safe to assume they came from the same scratched sheet. This is pretty good evidence that the Knepper did not get affected at all by the blackless streak.

The second thing is shown in my 2nd photo. You will see the regular blackless Tapani card along with one of my partial blackless Tapani cards. Notice that they both have the same random, very light slanted blue print line straight down the card across his face and down through the E in KEVIN. All of my Tapani full and partial errors had this same blue line, while my completely normal Tapani cards did not have this line...and neither do any other Tapani cards I could find. Again, this adds to all of earlier evidence and indications that the full and partial blackless error cards all likely came from the same printing press and plate. >>

what about the packs you are selling now? did you open some and find nothing good and decide to sell the rest? i see you bought a case a few weeks back. is that where you are selling the packs from? dont you think it is a bit misleading selling these packs with pics of the nnof thomas that you pulled from a completely different batch?
  • Options
    I have many, many stacks of boxes of 1990 Topps I bought over the years - nearly all retail types of packs. The ones I sold recently I bought 2 years ago and just sold them at average 1990 Topps prices. $3.95 for a Jumbo pack is no premium at all, as it equates out to about 55 cents for a wax pack. All of the buyers of these packs were satisfied with their purchases. I showed the fact that I have several NNOF Thomas cards as proof they made it into packs (retail packs specifically)- and I stated exactly that in my auction.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2024 4:19PM
    Update for Frank Thomas

saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    I still cannot believe that over 6 months after you guys first started piecing this together, that no hobby publication has reported on it. This is a HUGE discovery about the one of the most popular and valuable "regular" cards issued over the past 40 years. We are also about to hit the 20 year anniversary of the 1990 Topps set, so the timing could not be better. Again this story should be front page headlines in the hobby (lead by Saucywombat's "streak" image), and yet we have seen nothing reported about it.
  • Options

<< <i>I still cannot believe that over 6 months after you guys first started piecing this together, that no hobby publication has reported on it. This is a HUGE discovery about the one of the most popular and valuable "regular" cards issued over the past 40 years. We are also about to hit the 20 year anniversary of the 1990 Topps set, so the timing could not be better. Again this story should be front page headlines in the hobby (lead by Saucywombat's "streak" image), and yet we have seen nothing reported about it. >>

Really? That no editor is scrambling to add some new text next to the '1990 Topps John Hart' listing in their annual guides? Considering how many (1000+?) error and variation cards they don't bother to add ( and I mean "legitimate" ones, not printing flaws like these ), I am not surprised at all though I wish they would.

Plus, it would really shine a light on the fact that the famous Frank Thomas NNOF 'error' has been just a printing flaw all along, and considering how the hobby stands by its old definition of a printing flaws as something that devalues or is of little significance to most collectors, it would probably be too much of a pain to justify why this printing flaw is such an exception to the rule.

• Options

<< <i>I still cannot believe that over 6 months after you guys first started piecing this together, that no hobby publication has reported on it. This is a HUGE discovery about the one of the most popular and valuable "regular" cards issued over the past 40 years. We are also about to hit the 20 year anniversary of the 1990 Topps set, so the timing could not be better. Again this story should be front page headlines in the hobby (lead by Saucywombat's "streak" image), and yet we have seen nothing reported about it. >>

Maybe a blog like wax heaven,Sportscards Uncensored, or sportscollectorsdaily.com can write something
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    A few sports card blogs have mentioned the thread in passing, but there just isn't much interest. I think we've got something cool here personally.

Congrats on the NNOF Dave.
  • Options

<< <i>A few sports card blogs have mentioned the thread in passing, but there just isn't much interest. I think we've got something cool here personally.

Congrats on the NNOF Dave. >>

Thanks Ross

Cool to own one of the big cards from my school days. Now armed with my 1993 Finest Refractor Set I can proudly join Uncle Rico and step into the time machine and dominate, perhaps even throwing a football over a nearby mountain range in the process.

If nothing else publication will flush more of these out of hiding and make it possible to complete the set. Otherwise I don't see any way that these Tapanis, Kal Daniels, Ackers and Joe Magranes are going to see the light of day.

saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think this is a great thread and I was very interested in it because I remember there being a lot of speculation that Topps intentionally maybe the NNOF Frank Thomas error card. Looks like just by chance the printer gunk happened to effect the most popular card in the set.

Now you guys go debunk the legend of the purple hat 1989 Griffey Upper Deck. I actually have asked about that a few times and no one seems to remember. I am certain I saw it is a magazine back then, but I remember talking about it with my friends in like 1993.
  • Options

<< <i>Now you guys go debunk the legend of the purple hat 1989 Griffey Upper Deck. I actually have asked about that a few times and no one seems to remember. I am certain I saw it is a magazine back then, but I remember talking about it with my friends in like 1993. >>

purple hat? i know the original pic is with a san bernardino spirit hat. then altered with whatever photo editing they used at that time (not photohop and it looks better than topps airbrushing) to look like a seattle hat.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now you guys go debunk the legend of the purple hat 1989 Griffey Upper Deck. I actually have asked about that a few times and no one seems to remember. I am certain I saw it is a magazine back then, but I remember talking about it with my friends in like 1993. >>

purple hat? i know the original pic is with a san bernardino spirit hat. then altered with whatever photo editing they used at that time (not photohop and it looks better than topps airbrushing) to look like a seattle hat. >>

There's a variation of the Griffey RC where the blue areas, such as his hat, received too much magenta. This is a very common printing flaw that received notoriety due to it affecting such an iconic card. Griffeys 1989 UD RC does come in 2 legit variations: with R-symbol next to the Star Rookie logo or with TM next to it. One version is tougher than the other but only slightly and I can't seem to remember which one is rarer (this variation affects all player cards #2-99 - #1, 100 are checklists that don't feature team logos).

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Cool to own one of the big cards from my school days. Now armed with my 1993 Finest Refractor Set I can proudly join Uncle Rico and step into the time machine and dominate, perhaps even throwing a football over a nearby mountain range in the process.
    >>

Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.
  • Options
    FF 20th Anniversary Bill admitted he wrote on the bat. You never know. Agree it should be brought to the attention of the masses and agree with jacksoncoupage's reasoning on why it's not.

This thread developed into the discovery of unique cards. It's been fun.

Thanks to the contributors.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Plus, it would really shine a light on the fact that the famous Frank Thomas NNOF 'error' has been just a printing flaw all along, and considering how the hobby stands by its old definition of a printing flaws as something that devalues or is of little significance to most collectors, it would probably be too much of a pain to justify why this printing flaw is such an exception to the rule. >>

It's not really any different than the 1958 Topps Pancho Herrera variation, right? Personally, I find this thread to be some of the best reading on the board, and I'm sure other collectors would find it fascinating. Keep up the good work, guys!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Plus, it would really shine a light on the fact that the famous Frank Thomas NNOF 'error' has been just a printing flaw all along, and considering how the hobby stands by its old definition of a printing flaws as something that devalues or is of little significance to most collectors, it would probably be too much of a pain to justify why this printing flaw is such an exception to the rule. >>

It's not really any different than the 1958 Topps Pancho Herrera variation, right? Personally, I find this thread to be some of the best reading on the board, and I'm sure other collectors would find it fascinating. Keep up the good work, guys! >>

Exactly. I'm just pointing out that if the hobby publications are already ignoring hundreds, if not, thousands, of what they would deem "true" errors and variations, it seems only within their practice to ignore listing something that falls under their definition of "printing flaw". However, I would love to see these get recognition in a guide, doing so would likely end up unearthing more and thus, creating a true rarity gauge and price point.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    think this is a great thread and I was very interested in it because I remember there being a lot of speculation that Topps intentionally maybe the NNOF Frank Thomas error card. Looks like just by chance the printer gunk happened to effect the most popular card in the set.

and picture of the sheet put together shows that first round draft cards were after those all star cards which had less black
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like a complete dork. I have not even opened this thread because I didn't think it would interest me. I kept seeing it pop up every now and then. I finally noticed that it had 620+ replies today, to which I was surprised. My curiosity got the better of me. This thread is unbelievable. Now, I have to go home tonight and look through hundreds of 1990 Topps.

I will be needing a John Morris and a Magrane All Star for my Cardinals collection. I think I even have a complete set in the form of an uncut sheet, though I am pretty sure I would have looked at the Frank Thomas to see if it was a NNOF. That would surely be an incredible find.

So, does anybody have a John Morris or a Magrane A.S. that they would want to sell?

Shane

• Options
    yeah, I wonder if any people have found any black borders missing in their collections..

I still have more to go ., but zip, zero, nada for me so far..
    Buying:
  • Options
    i have a case of jumbo packs coming in today. retail case image.........from oklahoma image........we will see! image
  • Options
    Guys, I think we should keep this discussion active. There hasn't been much discussion in a while. One of my last postings pointed out that my partial Tapani errors have the same light blue print line passing through it top to bottom (although this line was beginning to fade a bit on my partial blackless Tapani). This adds to all of the further evidence that the partial blackless errors I found (Tapani, Thomas, and Lawton) likely passed through the same printing press/plate as the full errors - meaning there was an obstruction of the black taking place to cause the NNOF Thomas error. The more I look at things, the resemblance between the stray torn cardboard/paper and the blackless streak border of the Franco, Russell, and Biggio cards is striking - right down to the tiny fiber-like edges. There was bound to be more of this stray paper/cardboard around than the three pieces which ended up in my packs. And the fact that all 3 pieces were found directly behind an orange bordered card in my packs is very strange and likely not coincidental.

Looking at the blackless areas on the McGriff, Lawton, and Hart, etc....looks like they were caused by more of a smudged substance -possibly the sticky residue I found sticking between many wax pack wrappers in the case. And if the substance was indeed sticky, it would explain how pieces of paper could stick to it and cause the more solid blackless areas in the middle of the blackless streak (Thomas, Biggio, Fisk, Franco, Russell, etc.). After time passed, the obstructions could have fallen/worn off to cause the smaller blackless areas on the Tapani, Thomas, and Lawton cards found in my packs. I also believe that the small amounts of the substance left at the end were loosening and moving around on the printing plate - this would explain why I found so many different variations of my partial blackless Tapani and Lawton - where the last remaining obstruction looked like it was moving up or down by an inch or so. This would also explain how richtree found Lawton and Knepper cards with blackless areas similar in size to my Tapani and Lawton. His cards were likely printed shortly after mine -while the last of the remaining residue was still moving around on the plate.
  • Options
    I'm on a cell phone, I'll make it short for now. I agree there is more to talk about, and I have been in other circles. I'll propose the idea when I get to a computer again.
  • Options
    In Chicle-

lol

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Fantastic read, i just zoomed through 32 pages! lol
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread of the year IMHO.

Don't leave us hanging BunchOBull!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    One year ago today...
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    still looking for some of these border breaks...

I forgot who offered to sell me one, but if you can email or pm me again thanks

richtree(AT)gmail.com
    Buying:
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I just pulled a Magrane AS with the border break out of a holiday factory set.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>I just pulled a Magrane AS with the border break out of a holiday factory set.

Lee >>

hit me up if u wanna move it
    Buying:
  • Options
    We've seen 2 different Magranes - which one?
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    hey guys,

I am still looking to get these cards.

I know one of you want to sell / trade one of them.

please pm me

or

email richtree@gmail.com
    Buying:
  • Options
    This one (from the scan posted earlier in the thread):

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly CDsNuts' card is photoshopped.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    pretty ballsy cracking open that factory set. Those things are really valuable.
  • Options
    pretty ballsy cracking open that factory set. Those things are really valuable.

My heart was pounding when I cracked the seal.
  • Options
    Congrats on the find Lee.

Thus far, there appear to be at least 3 black plates that had an error. The plate that created the partially broken/blackless examples and at least 2 full error plates.

I say this because there are 2 combinations of full blackless errors and cyan plates. There are imperfections in the blue printing found on some 1990 Topps blackless errors that aren't found in others.

I believe this to be a case of two sets of plates pressing out the error.

I know this idea of a "gradual" plate deformation keeps getting thrown around. My question is, where are these other intermediate errors? Why aren't they being found? They aren't being found because it defies the physical nature of printing.

I believe more and more the full errors were cause as a result of some man-made event during plate production.
  • Options
    It looks like I need to go through everything again. There were at least 5 different variations of the Tapani errors and Marcus Lawton found in my case alone, including the 3 Marcus Lawton cards that show the "gradual" progression of the blackless error "going away" - exactly as my theory suggested, even before I pulled any Lawton errors. Look at the blackless areas under his chin!

And every variation of my Tapani error cards in my case that were missing black had the same blue diagonal print line... adding to the probability that all 5 variations passed through the SAME printing presses/plates - receiving their black ink and blue ink from the same source. It's illogical to suggest that my various Tapani blackless errors passed through the same blue plate, but then somehow got split up and went to at least 5 different bad black plates, then all ended up back in the same case???

Using more common sense, if it WAS a bad plate, there would have been many more NNOF errors out there. EVERYTHING here points to a very temporary blockage of the black ink to cause the NNOF and surrounding blackless errors, and the evidence shows the pattern of how the blockage gradually fell off or dissolved. Additionally, the several pieces of stray torn paper/cardboard found directly behind an orange sheet card each time, if nothing else, points to there being some sort of spilling accident (where debries ended up on the presses of the orange sheets at the time the errors were made).

Lawton errors