Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone show me a picture of a coin that was lasered?

13»

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone wake me when real photos and factual discussion appear. :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fc said:

@Insider2 said:
    IMO, this alteration was not being done in 2003. The first I saw were before 2008 and after 2003 - 04.

The term lasering was used on this very forum in 2004.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/284706/lasering-gold

I can find references of it going back to at least 2003. Probably earlier if I used my google-fu.

Thanks for the info, The passage of time has dulled my brain. I know something happened but I guess not when. The first I saw were at another TPGS after they moved to another state in 2001.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2018 2:47PM

@RogerB said:

While I understand your skepticism and I APPLAUD IT, have you ever seen something folks agree is a miracle? I guess they don't occur until you see one. What about UFO's? :p

PS Remember this is not about how it is done or if it is done, or what to call it; the important thing is to know what it looks like.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@RogerB said:

While I understand your skepticism and I APPLAUD IT, have you ever seen something folks agree is a miracle? I guess they don't occur until you see one. What about UFO's? :p

PS Remember this is not about how it is done or if it is done, or what to call it; the important thing is to know what it looks like.

Insider... can you recall the grades of coins that you saw this problem on? Like an attempt to turn a 61 to a 63? A 64 to 65? I am asking so I can narrow down my searching. Also the denomination of the proof gold would also help.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2018 4:38PM

Nope. Every denomination of Liberty gold. $20's and $3 esp. IMO, surfaces are not "lasered" to remove hairlines.

I have thousands of micrographs and until three weeks ago (to make finding my "Quiz" images easy to find) I never bothered to put them into specific folders for each characteristic. I'll find some eventually.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Nope. Every denomination of Liberty gold. $20's and $3 esp. IMO, surfaces are not "lasered" to remove hairlines.

I have thousands of micrographs and until three weeks ago (to make finding my "Quiz" images easy to find) I never bothered to put them into specific folders for each characteristic. I'll find some eventually.

you said surfaces are not lasered to remove hairlines. what exactly was a laser used for then? because that is the
    whole jist of this thread. were lasers used to doctor coins. if not remove hairlines what other purpose would it be
    used for because when discussing proof gold those hairlines hold a coin back from a higher grade most of the time.

• Options

The ones I've seen - perhaps one this year ($3) looked like an attempt to remove a light scratch. One before was definitely a spot removal.

REMEMBER: There are all sorts of ways to alter a surface and EACH of them occur in degrees. One of these is called lasering. UNTIL I see it done, I have no idea if a laser is involved. What I do know is it looks like nothing I ever saw under a scope BEFORE approx. 2003 and I though closer to 2005 but you have proved this date was incorrect.

• Options

Look, The top two TPGS probably get several Proof Liberty coins a week. Many are not original. If they wished to post images of a "lasered" coin, I'll bet they could do it. I am aware that at least one of these "lasered" coins that I detected decades ago was bought back to honor the company guarantee.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file