Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone show me a picture of a coin that was lasered?

fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
Can anyone show me a picture of a coin that was lasered?

Anyone know of an auction description for a coin that was confirmed
to be lasered? Before or after pics?

Anything to dispell it as an old wives tale done to certain types of coins?

----------

Here is a quote from Laura about the subject I am asking about.

"As collectors, you can write the ANA and even the PNG and demand action. Keep this topic alive and loud. As a group, we can beat the small fraction who thinks coin doctoring is ok. Coins are a treasure, not items to be recolored, lasered, or retooled. I am tired of hearing about what coin doctors dream they can do when a fresh original group of coins comes to the market. And don’t even ask me about what i think every time I see a ruined coin…..Does your dealer care? Ask them to be involved in this fight too. I’d be wondering an awful lot about them if they shy away."

------------

I am using google to search for any information about it. I am curious.
Heritage archives do not show a single coin that was laser"ed".

-----------

More talk about it yet no proof or examples:

"I had heard that gold coins were the most counterfeited coins of all. I also heard how one of the newest techniques for altering gold coins was the lasering of hairlines. Apparently this results in the gold melting and smoothing out the hairlines but is detectable because it affects the luster. So if I was to work on creating a $20 Liberty Type 1 Double Eagle set, I would only buy certified coins for my protection."

-----------

More talk yet no examples. Just a ?rumor?:

"Speaker's Wor[l]d
Coin Grading Perspectives

Presented by Alex Moulinas to our April 13, 2005 meeting.

Coin grading services and their slabs are a fixture in contemporary US numismatics, and they are expanding into world coins. Alex Moulinas, now with the international coin department at Harlen J. Berk Ltd. but previously a grader with one of the grading services, started the program by giving an overview of how the services grade; then members asked questions of Alex, sometimes with spirited followup discussions by the members.

A number of skills were discussed from how to look at a coin, when to use magnification, and what magnification to use.

A wide range of topics also were discussed, including: the grading practices of European dealers and such US specialty clubs as the Early American Coppers (EAC), attribution and other blunders on slabs, net grading of coins with damage, and even such recent coin-doctor tricks as laser-improved proof gold.

Had a few laughs and learned some new things; you should have been there for this frank presentation and discussion on grading."

-----------------

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine lasering (mostly used for melting hairlines on proof gold coin to hide them) would be difficult to photograph.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I imagine lasering (mostly used for melting hairlines on proof gold coin to hide them) would be difficult to photograph. >>

That is the jist I am getting that what lasering is used for.
    But not a single auction blurb mentioning a lasered coin on heritage?

No mention of impaired luster due to the lasering in the description?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I'd like to see one as well. I've suspected many a morgan to have been
    lasered but have no way of knowing for sure.
    On the board we've accused, or at least intimated, that folks are using photoshop to
    eliminate some luster breaks, etc. Perhaps it's a lasering process instead and they
    are actually doctoring the coin and not the pic.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    sunnywood states in a thread from 2006:

"As more and more coins get "conserved," the premiums for beautiful, natural, original toning will increase. And so will the incentive to try to reproduce it in the laboratory. Profit is a strong motivator ... I have seen lasered FBL Franklins and lasered proof gold (to make hairlines in the fields go away). Now that is sophisticated stuff, and potentially lucrative FRAUD. Passing that stuff off as natural is both a tort and a crime, an intentional deception. Ditto for AT coins designed to reap the premiums paid for NT coins. Sooner or later someone needs to get prosecuted, and then perhaps it will stop. However, for now, I still believe I can tell the good stuff from the bad stuff enough of the time, and therefore I am comfortable paying premiums for beautifully toned coins such as the ones I have posted above."

Maybe he can provide a link to the example. After all, proof gold is
    a rare bird and should show up at auctions. But now lasered Franklins too? hmmm Bell lines being lasered?

Where does this lasering menance end???
  • Options
    clankeye states in 2003:

"Why I sold: some things scared me. I saw pops going up as new coins were being made. I saw some coins made by insiders that should NEVER have been able to get into those holders. It made me feel the whole thing was rigged. I saw more AT coins showing up, and lasered proof gold. I saw the crossover game, the crackout game, the doctoring game, the dipping game, the Registry hype, the ridiculous moderns. I saw coins evolve from one holder to another, and go from dealer to dealer, and go from $15000 auction price to $75000 asking price. I got a sense that the whole thing is such an incredible racket. But mainly I sold for the usual reason: I had been so obsessed, and had put so much money into it, that I couldn't justify it any more !!"

So just when did this start? Seems people have been reporting this
    for almost a decade yet no one can find me an example?
  • Options
    Ron Guth states:

"“We’re seeing more and more coin doctoring than we’ve ever seen, and the methods used to alter the coins are more and more sophisticated,” said Ron Guth, President of PCGS, a division of Collectors Universe, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLCT). “We are constantly trying to keep up with new and sophisticated techniques, such as micro surgery with lasers and various chemical treatments to alter the surfaces of coins. You name it, and the coin doctors are trying it. We’re giving public notice to those who alter coins that we’re clamping down on them.”"
  • Options
    Anyone have this book and what does it state about lasering?
    Any pics or examples?

"PCGS Grading and Counterfeit Detection Guide
    This 415-page paperback book was edited by Scott A. Travers with text written by John Dannreuther, and contains detailed descriptions of coin grades and the intricacies of counterfeit detection. There are nearly 600 sharply-detailed color and black and white digital images of coins. This new edition contains major innovations and enhancements including grading guides for superb-quality Statehood quarters and modern commemoratives, and updated "insider" information about the way lasers are used to deceptively "doctor" coins."
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one I alledgedly saw was a proof Barber half, raw, that looked to good to be true. A fellow was walking it around a show about 2 years ago, and a pretty knowledgable dealer who's table I was sitting at suspected it may have been lasered, due to some slight waviness in the otherwise pristine mirrored fields. Otherwise it looked darn good to me (a rank amateur of such things), and scared the heck out of me that such things were floating around.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    the two words you put in quotations: insider and doctor says it all to me.
    anyway, if the laser is used to hide hairlines,et al, and it leaves virtually no sign of
    `tampering` how are we to know if nearly all high-grade whatevers hadnt been lasered?
  • Options
    Here is a link to rec.collecting.coins

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.collecting.coins/2006-09/msg00930.html

It is the same people talking about the same stuff with now added
    twist to the ?rumor?

It can be done through PCGS plastic.

Also a person is stating they think they have a coin that was lasered
    but of course it was never attempted to be graded. Of course.

------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:59:26 GMT
    Fwiw, I can tell you with certainty it is being done to "enhance" coins,
    however I am not aware of how widespread or effective it is.

-------------------------

jhdfla... you always seem to claim to know so much insider doctoring
    stuff yet fail to name names or show examples. Why is that? Maybe
    you can help me out by showing me a picture of a coin that was lasered
    and put into an auction?

So it enhances the coin and you are sure it is being done..
    but you cannot tell if it is effective or not?
    hm.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    All I have heard is lots of tall stories.

Seems to me that a laser ablating metal would leave a mark, not remove a mark. In fact, the only laser/metal applications I have seen have been to leave little pockmarks.

And through plastic? Not.

• Options
    the RCM has a lasered proof coin that is the constellations. One proven
    application that is not a rumor.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    FC, Like you, I have never seen a good before and after shot of a laser job. Heck, it took me finding out the hard way with my own (PCGS-slabbed image ) coin what a putty job looks like.

However, if I were interested, I'd pay close attention to proof gold -- as I have been told that much of the lasering occurs with these coins. I'm sure someone astute as you could find a coin that's made a few trips through Heritage over the years before and after laser surgery.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all it's worth, now would be a good time for the TPGs to start building photographic files of coins under microscopic magnification. One day, we'll want a record of what the metal flow of undoctored coins is supposed to look like.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I bet lasering would be very good at making cameos appear frostier.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lasers are used to make very deceptive 1955 Double Die Lincoln cents. Several years ago, we had one on live auction that looked 'good.' The dealer who bought it took the coin to ANACS and they pronounced it lasered. We refunded the money and returned the coin to the attorney who had given us the estate to auction.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    It's a myth. Metals conduct heat instantly. The entire coin would be at the melting point before a laser had any effect.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myth, maybe old technology. If a plastic surgeon can smooth out the wrinkles in someone's face without damage or much heat generation, why couldn't a high tech laser smooth out hairlines in metal without damage.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I have the 2nd edition ©2004. Its 416 pages. In the glossary lasering - "A technique using a laser to alter the surface of a coin". There is no reference to lasering in the Index. In the Chapter on Doctored Coins there is no direct reference to lasering. All I could find on pp 284-285 "...surfaces of Proof coins are heated to melt the hairlines or other defects. This mehtod may involve anything from a match held under the surface... to a high temperature torch...."

I tend to agree with adamlaneus. If a laser is applied I would expect the surface atoms and molecules to be vaporized, causing the surface to be etched. I suppose that it could be used to melt the gold alloy and allow it to fill the hairlines too. But I too will remain skeptical until I see photographical evidence.

Great thread fc!

<< <i>Anyone have this book and what does it state about lasering?
    Any pics or examples?

"PCGS Grading and Counterfeit Detection Guide
    This 415-page paperback book was edited by Scott A. Travers with text written by John Dannreuther, and contains detailed descriptions of coin grades and the intricacies of counterfeit detection. There are nearly 600 sharply-detailed color and black and white digital images of coins. This new edition contains major innovations and enhancements including grading guides for superb-quality Statehood quarters and modern commemoratives, and updated "insider" information about the way lasers are used to deceptively "doctor" coins." >>

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If lasering obliterates hairlines, a lasered coin would have fewer and less conspicuous hairlines. The subtraction of hairlines would be impossible to demonstrate in a photo.
  • Options

<< <i>If lasering obliterates hairlines, a lasered coin would have fewer and less conspicuous hairlines. The subtraction of hairlines would be impossible to demonstrate in a photo. >>

I also agree with the posters who say "myth". This has got to be an Urban legend. If you cannot "detect" the alteration then how can you attribute it to "lasering". And if its that good, then it seems to me the technique is actually beneficial and not detrimental to the coin.

Edited to add: The "wavy" look of the coin surface is in the Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection book. It is attributed to the heat application to remove hairlines quoted in my previous post. Also this section of the Doctored Coins chapter indicates that the method is most often applied to Proof gold coins. Again, no mention of "lasering" here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options

<< <i>If lasering obliterates hairlines, a lasered coin would have fewer and less conspicuous hairlines. The subtraction of hairlines would be impossible to demonstrate in a photo. >>

i am reading the way they detect this removal is due to the changes
    of the lasered area versus unlasered... thus the luster, orange peel,
    or cameo appeareance has changed in some way.

at the very least one would think i could come up with just one coin
    that was impaired due to a laser in an auction description after several
    years of this doctoring supposedly taking place??

I would be happy with just one coin that an expert has determined to
    be lasered and documented as such in an auction or what have you.

Yet I cannot find one! No one on this board can show me a coin. Do you
    not find that odd? Among all these dealers and experts we cannot
    produce one coin that is an example???
  • Options

<< <i>Yet I cannot find one! No one on this board can show me a coin. Do you
    not find that odd? Among all these dealers and experts we cannot
    produce one coin that is an example??? >>

IMHO that's because "lasering" is not used to remove hair lines. Some other heat source is used such as a "match" or other "high-temperature torch selectively applied to a specific area." It seems to me that "lasering" has, through common interpretation, become to mean "melting" the "Proof Gold coin hairlines" when it should apply only to "altering the surface of a coin" as described in Dannreuther and Travers Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection.

I don't believe that the "heat source" for altering Proof Gold coins is a "laser", IMHO.

I believe the "laser" is rather used for "sculpting" as one would do with a scalpel for example. I'll bet a "laser" could do a number on a Buffalo Nickel, to turn it into a "hobo" nickel in short order!

It seems to me that "lasering" has become confused with "heat" altering techniques for removing hairlines on Proof Gold specimens. And this form of "doctoring" appears to be ver specifically limited to proof gold coins only.

I tend to be more concerned about Chinese counterfeits than "lasering". But I too am interested in photographic examples, if they exist!
  • Options
    I am not sure a match on a gold coin for the length of how long the
    match stays lit could melt diddly squat. You would need to use a blow
    torch to get it hot enough and if you ever worked with blow torches
    they are a very clumsy tool. Even the small torches cigar stores sell
    for lighting cigars is a clumsy tool for removing things such as hair lines
    on a coin. And while you are heating that spot up.. the metal of the
    coin will get hot as the heat spreads throughout it.

The heat of a bic lighter flame is gets a tad hotter then the melting
    point of gold, FYI.

My opinion is that heat removal of hairlines is a coin urban legend.
    Until I see a documented case I am not quite sure how a person can
    argue it exists. It is the bigfoot of coin doctoring to me.
  • Options
    fc, I'm quoting from Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection. I've never applied a 'match' or a 'high-temperature torch' to a Proof gold coin. myself But, by the language in the book, I can see how it can be erroneously construed that "lasering" could somehow become the heat source for such alterations. And that this then could be construed to cause the removal of hairlines. This is how "Urban Legends" are born.

<< <i>I am not sure a match on a gold coin for the length of how long the
    match stays lit could melt diddly squat. You would need to use a blow
    torch to get it hot enough and if you ever worked with blow torches
    they are a very clumsy tool. Even the small torches cigar stores sell
    for lighting cigars is a clumsy tool for removing things such as hair lines
    on a coin. And while you are heating that spot up.. the metal of the
    coin will get hot as the heat spreads throughout it.

My opinion is that heat removal of hairlines is a coin urban legend.
    Until I see a documented case I am not quite sure how a person can
    argue it exists. It is the bigfoot of coin doctoring to me. >>

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have been into coins for a short time (around 7 years) I always hear about coin doctors. Coin doctors this and coin doctors that. No one ever names NAMES. iT WOULD NOT BE THAT DIFFICULT TO NAME A FEW NAMES. Everyone seems to want to sweep it under the rug to some degree. Laura is big on preaching about coin docs. I know she knows some names.

Just how many people could be lasering proof gold coins. The list of names would have to be short.

The only person iknow to get caught doctoring coins is manofcoins. What actually happened to him???
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    I am just having a hard time imagining that you can take a proof coin
    with a patch of hairlines and get just the right areas hot enough for
    the metal to flow back into the crevices of the hairlines.. all this without
    ruining the coin overall in that or other areas. And this with a crude
    flame/torch. A laser makes more sense in a flashy hollywood way image
    Total control.

As a previous poster mentioned.. the microscopic look of the coin
    would be drastically different from the doctored area.

I admit it is possible from a engineering standpoint.. but finding someone
    who can demonstrate it was done to a specific coin is becoming
    a fruitless hunt. I have asked about this before.
  • Options
    RareSovRareSov Posts: 299
    I'm all ears on this

Did you know.. laser technology can produce temperatures as hot as the sun ? in 2030's we should have fusion reactors which are mini suns

Here's the current low tech "junk" firing off a reaction of a fuel pellet.. this reactor uses more power than it produces (to heat the pellet to millions of Kelvin), its called JET the Joint European Torus

http://www.jet.efda.org/movies/0064159-portrait.mpg

Test chamber is heavily lined of course, but you can still see how powerful this technology is. Unrelated ? perhaps.. but they FOCUS that laser on a point and heat it that much. Touching up lines under a powerful microscope using a computer aid would be simplistic compared to this.. I find the idea intriguing and want to see it done. You could pretty much fix some badly damaged coins, it just requires the precision
  • Options

<< <i>I'm all ears on this

Did you know.. laser technology can produce temperatures as hot as the sun ? in 2030's we should have fusion reactors which are mini suns

Here's the current low tech "junk" firing off a reaction of a fuel pellet.. this reactor uses more power than it produces (to heat the pellet to millions of Kelvin), its called JET the Joint European Torus

http://www.jet.efda.org/movies/0064159-portrait.mpg

Test chamber is heavily lined of course, but you can still see how powerful this technology is. Unrelated ? perhaps.. but they FOCUS that laser on a point and heat it that much. Touching up lines under a powerful microscope using a computer aid would be simplistic compared to this.. I find the idea intriguing and want to see it done. You could pretty much fix some badly damaged coins, it just requires the precision >>

I do not think anyone is doubting that it is hypothetically possible.

Imagine a small blob of solder. Put some scratches on it. Take your
    blow torch and quickly heat it back up to its melting point.. just enough
    to make it liquid again. Let it cool and you will see that the scratches
    are gone.

But you have changed the shape of the blob of solder in a small way.

Just an example of how I am picturing the process if done to a coin's
    surface in a specific area.

Even though I say it is hypothetically possible does not mean it is
    taking place to proof coins to remove hairlines or etch in bell lines on
    franklins....
  • Options
    Yes I think we are talking atom level precision, think microprocessors.. really really damn small

Since the coin surface is essentially flat, maybe some very careful "scraping" or pushing with a laser pointer

I want to know where I can get a coin done image would be expensive image
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>I have been into coins for a short time (around 7 years) I always hear about coin doctors. Coin doctors this and coin doctors that. No one ever names NAMES. iT WOULD NOT BE THAT DIFFICULT TO NAME A FEW NAMES. Everyone seems to want to sweep it under the rug to some degree. Laura is big on preaching about coin docs. I know she knows some names.

Just how many people could be lasering proof gold coins. The list of names would have to be short.

The only person iknow to get caught doctoring coins is manofcoins. What actually happened to him??? >>

ManofCoins went back to selling coins after a few weeks. That is why it is useless to name names. The "rat" doing the fingering will be black balled from the hobby, and the coin doc will skate on to continue doing business. Even someone caught committing out right fraud (opening up ICCS holders, substituting the coins, resealing the flip-style holders) was back in business in a few months. The reason docs are tolerated is because they bring in money. "Rats" don't bring in any money and are bad for business, and the rats will be the ones pushed out if there is a struggle with a doc.

In the stamp hobby, one well known scammer was identified and tracked, there were even articles about him published in the major stamp magazines, and major news sites. The stamp doc is still in business, still raking in big money, despite repeated articles about his scam of altering stamps (adding perforations, removing cancels, removing hinge marks) and selling them in the magazines and via Ebay. Nothing like this has happened in coins with so much fanfare and publicity. However, I'd bet it would not be much different. All they have to do is open up a new P. O. Box with a new business name, and/or a new Ebay ID and start scamming all over again. That's what the stamp guy did. When shut down again, they moved again and started up new.

Keep in mind that coin dealers tend to circle the wagons when their bread might not get buttered, so many that know the score and may even have photos, won't post that information for public consumption. Again, the "rat" is the one that will get black balled, not the doc. Talk to some major dealers off the record, or top graders at the companies, and you'll learn that lasering is not a myth. Some dealers might say "myth" in public to build confidence, so that people keep buying the altered coins, even if they know better.

/edit to add:
    Here is a link to a MSNBC article on the stamp fraud from 2007. The second link mentions the scam being uncovered in 2002 so ran at least five years in the wide open. Even if a doc is named, and evidence compiled, it will likely be like the stamp guy, who is still selling altered product, still ringing the cash register, many years later, despite a mountain of evidence against him.

link1

link2
  • Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a myth. Metals conduct heat instantly. The entire coin would be at the melting point before a laser had any effect. >>

If that were true, welding would be a myth....
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a myth. Metals conduct heat instantly. The entire coin would be at the melting point before a laser had any effect. >>

I laser etch metal all the time. The Canadian Mint has coins that have been laser etch. The metal plates that I work with don't instantly turn to molten metal.
  • Options

Yes. And when you get your cornea lasered (LASIK) the laser beam comes out of the back of your head and melts the gurney. In fact, it shoots all the way to China.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin dealer, attorney AND scientist. What doesn't Frank know about? image

I'd like to hear from one of our material scientist or matllurgist memebers regarding whether metals conduct heat "instantly"... My suspicion is no.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the PCGS Second Edition

<< <i>Offical Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection----Lasers have been used for quite a few years in many fields, but only recently has the intense light of these devices been turned onto the surfaces of coins. Usually, Proofs are the coin of choice for this sophisticated treatment, although a few Mint State examples have also been noted. Most collectors, and even dealers, will have a hard time recognizing this subtle alteration to a coins's surface. In most cases, a scratch or heavy hairline is heated with the laser to the point that the surfaces melt in this area.....and the scratch or hairline is no longer obvious to the unaided eye. However, under magnification the surface will show disturbance, on silver coins this is very minor, but on gold coins, the "orange peel" surface is missing in the affected area. As noted, this technique is subtle and a trained eye is needed to detect the change. >>

At least it tells how to tell the gold coins some of the time by the loss of "orange peel" in the affected areas.
    No pics of before and after.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Imagine a small blob of solder. Put some scratches on it. Take your
    blow torch and quickly heat it back up to its melting point.. just enough
    to make it liquid again. Let it cool and you will see that the scratches
    are gone.

But you have changed the shape of the blob of solder in a small way.

Just an example of how I am picturing the process if done to a coin's
    surface in a specific area.

Even though I say it is hypothetically possible does not mean it is
    taking place to proof coins to remove hairlines or etch in bell lines on
    franklins.... >>

I would imagine it's a very fine line between taking a $5K classic gold proof coin and either turning it into a $50K coin or a $400 puddle...
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Nothing happens 'instantly'. Time is the universes way of preventing everything from happening all at the same time.

Just do a web search for Laser Marking Systems and you'll find that they are readily available. You don't need much power either, compared with laser cutting.

Conduction of heat is a slow process compared with the duration of a laser pulse.

I don't buy the melting thing with respect to smooth fields. Metal that is molten will recrystallize in a manner that is completely different than the original plastic flow that was caused by stamping the coin.

Who knows, though. There are devices out there that are completely out of my experience. I've heard of an oven that can heat up to 10k degrees but for a terribly short, pulsed period of time. It's used to dramatically heat surfaces of objects, but only in a very thin layer near the surface.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would a (good) picture or set of pictures of a coin with obvious hairlines, and then a picture of same coin (provable same coin - prehaps a hit somewhere) without the hairlines be enough to prove that lasering is a viable technique? (viable, but not acceptable)
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank, if that's the case, how can lasers be used in industry to cut and etch other metals?
  • Options

Opps, I thought you wrote Tasered!
  • Options

<< <i>

Frank, if that's the case, how can lasers be used in industry to cut and etch other metals? >>

I think what he is saying that you need to take a laser to heat up a minute area of the
    coin (hairline and the ridges opposite of the indentation in the coin) and cause the raised
    areas to flow back into the hairline... all the while not causing other areas of the coin to
    melt also.

It seems like a reasonable argument. Etching/engraving a metal surface is not even close to comparable
    to what is being claimed to have happened to proof coins and the removal of hairlines in my opinion.
    One is actually removing metal.. the other is heating it up and evening it out without removal (i guess).

just all talk though. i am interested in a proven example of a doctored lasered coin.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Would a (good) picture or set of pictures of a coin with obvious hairlines, and then a picture of same coin (provable same coin - prehaps a hit somewhere) without the hairlines be enough to prove that lasering is a viable technique? (viable, but not acceptable) >>

You can eliminate hairlines in a pic by just changing the angle of the lighting or photoshopping the pic so this wouldn't constitute acceptable proof of lasering.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Would a (good) picture or set of pictures of a coin with obvious hairlines, and then a picture of same coin (provable same coin - prehaps a hit somewhere) without the hairlines be enough to prove that lasering is a viable technique? (viable, but not acceptable) >>

You can eliminate hairlines in a pic by just changing the angle of the lighting or photoshopping the pic so this wouldn't constitute acceptable proof of lasering. >>

I could easily demonstrate a proof gold coin without and with hairlines, and I promise you I did nothing to the coin but tilt it. image

Some sellers of proof gold show an advantageous photograph that makes the coin look deep black and gold, with perfect mirrored surfaces. They look like Proof 69CAM moderns (but are graded 63, 64, or 65). In fact, if you could see the coins in hand, no doubt the hairlines would be apparent, as well as possibly other defects.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I would love to take high-mag photos of such.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Coin dealer, attorney AND scientist. What doesn't Frank know about? image

I'd like to hear from one of our material scientist or matllurgist memebers regarding whether metals conduct heat "instantly"... My suspicion is no. >>

As a Physicist, I know a little something about how metals phase change and conduct, so I'll give it a try.

It would be more accurate to say: "some metals dissipate heat very rapidly". As we all know from handling various types of cookware, some metals are actually poor conductors of heat. Gold, silver, and copper on the other hand, are all wonderful conductors of heat and electricity. That said, aside from superconductors, all metals have a natural resistance to conduction, and do not dissipate heat instantaneously, as suggested by fc. Placing a heat sorce directly onto a piece of gold may be sufficient to melt locally, but once enough energy has been "donated" to overcoming the natural resistivity, the melting would cease. It is much more likely that a sufficiently powerful laser would simply melt a hole in the coin, rather than bring the whole piece of metal to a molten state.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a Physicist, I know a little something about how metals phase change and conduct, so I'll give it a try.

It would be more accurate to say: "some metals dissipate heat very rapidly". As we all know from handling various types of cookware, some metals are actually poor conductors of heat. Gold, silver, and copper on the other hand, are all wonderful conductors of heat and electricity. That said, aside from superconductors, all metals have a natural resistance to conduction, and do not dissipate heat instantaneously, as suggested by fc. Placing a heat sorce directly onto a piece of gold may be sufficient to melt locally, but once enough energy has been "donated" to overcoming the natural resistivity, the melting would cease. It is much more likely that a sufficiently powerful laser would simply melt a hole in the coin, rather than bring the whole piece of metal to a molten state. >>

So, you are suggesting that you can tell lasered coins by the big giant hole in the center. I guess it got rid of the hairlines.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As a Physicist, I know a little something about how metals phase change and conduct, so I'll give it a try.

It would be more accurate to say: "some metals dissipate heat very rapidly". As we all know from handling various types of cookware, some metals are actually poor conductors of heat. Gold, silver, and copper on the other hand, are all wonderful conductors of heat and electricity. That said, aside from superconductors, all metals have a natural resistance to conduction, and do not dissipate heat instantaneously, as suggested by fc. Placing a heat sorce directly onto a piece of gold may be sufficient to melt locally, but once enough energy has been "donated" to overcoming the natural resistivity, the melting would cease. It is much more likely that a sufficiently powerful laser would simply melt a hole in the coin, rather than bring the whole piece of metal to a molten state. >>

So, you are suggesting that you can tell lasered coins by the big giant hole in the center. I guess it got rid of the hairlines.image >>

The operation was a success, however, the patient died image
  • Options
    lol yes, you could tell by the tiny hole

Whos cut up eagle is that ? imageimage doesn't look lasered more like hacksaw image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

Hmm. Guess this kinda disses the "through the slab" comments as well.

Oh no wait............OMG.....Just wait one freaking minute!

Cold lasering will smooth that metal out like glass! By golly gosh!

The folks that dream this crap up are simply incredible! Talk about feeding a paranoid monster? This "laser it through the slab" business has got to be about the dumbest thing I've ever heard!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file