Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unethical dealer

2»

Comments

• Options
    And even though it's none of your business, i'll answer you knuckleheads about affording the coin. I get paid weekly. Each paycheck I give myself 500$ budget for coins. Every wednesday I transfer what I didnt spend that week iinto my savings account which has no debit card to make sure I dont spend it. I had already done so for the week as I thought I was done paying bills et cetera. I make over 12k a month in salary, beleive me affording the 100$ was not the issue, it was just a timing issue. I ran into some coins I decided I wanted and knew Id be paid a day later and had my coin budget reset. Having had so many positive transactions both on ebay and BST with coin dealers, I became accusotomed to having good customer service. Hell someone on the BST offered holding a coin for me for a month while I consider it. When I called this jacka$$, i simply asked if he had them, he said yes. I asked if he would be willing to hold them, he said yes. he could have said no, he had this right. But he said yes, I will hold until tomorrow. When I called tomorrow, he said he sold them. I asked why. He said "Because you said youd call tomorrow and you didnt". I say, dude, its still tomorrow, here I am calling to buy just like I said. Makes me think he's jsut a dumba$$ .This is ignoring the fact that the previous night I went to buy when I saw I had enough in my checkings left over to cover this, but he had doubled the price. I k now you dealers will stick up for each other, but if you treat customers in this way, you wont be dealers for long.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. If you are really hand-to-mouth to the tune of $100, then please do not buy coins that you cannot afford!!!. Search pocket change instead! >>

Wait a second here. I have lots of customers buying low priced items on ebay that are obviously older people on fixed income. they know exactly how much they can spend each moth and enjoy it very much. I often get questions asking if they can pay for an item (under $100) next week or when they get their SS check at the end of the month and of course I say sure. I have one guy making payments on "layaway" on a $100 coin. I've been poor in my early life. I saved up $94.50 for my first 4 1/4" reflecting telescope from Edmund scientific on a 25c/week allowance and I know I appreciated it more than the 12" computerized scope I paid cash for the day I decided to buy it as an adult.

I'd say many of my fixed income widget buyers are enjoying their hobby more and appreciating it more when they work so hard to afford it than the more affluent guys I have submitting endless lowball offers on gold and platinum.

I wouldn't tell anyone how to spend their money. If they are budgeting carefully and coming up with a few dollars/month for coins they are probably doing much better than their peers.

--Jerry
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mumu... I'm Joe.

I am impartial, but there is a difference between a jackass and an unethical dealer. That's all I want to say.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Mumu... I'm Joe.

I am impartial, but there is a difference between a jackass and an unethical dealer. That's all I want to say. >>

I agree. But you can be both.

In this case he is a jackass for not holding the coins. That part does not make him unethical. But as i described above, about 2 hours after speaking with him I went onto the site to buy them, and the pice was 64$. That's the part that was unethical.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Mumu... I'm Joe.

I am impartial, but there is a difference between a jackass and an unethical dealer. That's all I want to say. >>

I agree. But you can be both. >>

I can't be both... If I were one or the other, my 86 yr old mother would hear about it and whoop my butt, still image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great posts here.

I really enjoyed pennyannie's story about the beater truck, and I also liked the way wondercoin stepped up to offer the OP a replacement. image

I also agree with the premise that if you have not purchased it, you have not purchased it. A clean transaction is less subject to miscommunication and disappointment than one made with a contingency.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    A promise to make a transaction is a good as the transaction itself..

Gotta agree with Mike.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>A promise to make a transaction is a good as the transaction itself..

Gotta agree with Mike.

Steve >>

I agree too, but like I said earlier, I cannot JUDGE dealer or buyer. I won't try to break down the "intent" of the thread, but what does the first sentence say ?

Friday February 27, 2009 5:17 PM

Last night I go to buy a coin from a seller on ebay and I see his website has a better price. On ebay it said he had 3 said items but the website didnt mention how many were available so I call him on the phone and he confirms he has 3. I tell him I get paid today and wanted all 3 and ask if he could hold them. Last night I go to buy them cause I got paid early and he changed the price to double what they were on before I called. I send an email asking if that was his way of jsut holding it for me or what. No response. Today I call him up again to buy them and he says they are no lonnger available. I dont want to call out anyone by name but the hint here is i was obviosuly trying to buy a "fast coin" seeing how quickly it moved in price and off the shelf once he knew i wanted it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, I'm impartial, but the potential buyer says he went to buy "A" coin.
    What collector needs 3 ?

I could understand if it was just ONE coin, but after reading the flaming , I have to look deeper at the title of the thread and wonder. That's all. Trying to be objective here. image

• Options
    It's better to title your thread, "Deal gone bad" or something similar and let the readers draw their own conclusions based on your version of the facts. When you condemn the other party in the title, it tends to polarize the readers in both directions, often unfairly so.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow. If you are really hand-to-mouth to the tune of $100, then please do not buy coins that you cannot afford!!!. Search pocket change instead! >>

Money... is this what it's all about ?
    I thought we were dealing with an unethical dealer.

It seems there was NO DEAL, no coin available at the RIP price and no fast coin. Not on eBay and not on someone's website. There are some great dealers here offering to get you the coin you want, but when a thread drags on like this, it just makes me wonder WHAT is the intent ?

It's a smear campaign, and it is not even well masked. Let's at least admit it has nothing to do with COINS or ETHICS.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple (hopefully) final points:

1. This is much to do about nothing - after a little research, there have been a number of public auction trades in the past 30-60 days or so on this very PCGS coin in this very grade for 1/3 -1/2 LESS than MUMU wanted to pay for the coins! One sale for a toned coin (like MUMU wanted) at $17 recently!! I'll even allow MUMU to cancel what I thought was my kind offer once he sees that for himself.

2. So, fastcoin passed on the sale of 3 coins at nearly double what one sold for recently (it appears this had nothing to do with the money) . Obviously, the interaction between them did not go well. But, fastcoin has an entirely different version of the events. I wasn't there, so I can not pass judgment on either party.

3. If one has a $500 budget for coins per week and sees a "deal" for $100 - I strongly suggest calling and locking in the deal - no mess, no fuss. Drop a check in the mail the next day - no need to even get into the fact that an extra day is needed (for whatever it was needed for?) No need to convolute things. This is not "sticking up" for a dealer - this is simply a common sense way to easy coins transactions.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Also agree with number 3 above.

If you want it buy it then and there.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A promise to make a transaction is a good as the transaction itself..

Gotta agree with Mike.

Steve >>

I agree too, but like I said earlier, I cannot JUDGE dealer or buyer. I won't try to break down the "intent" of the thread, but what does the first sentence say ?

Friday February 27, 2009 5:17 PM

Last night I go to buy a coin from a seller on ebay and I see his website has a better price. On ebay it said he had 3 said items but the website didnt mention how many were available so I call him on the phone and he confirms he has 3. I tell him I get paid today and wanted all 3 and ask if he could hold them. Last night I go to buy them cause I got paid early and he changed the price to double what they were on before I called. I send an email asking if that was his way of jsut holding it for me or what. No response. Today I call him up again to buy them and he says they are no lonnger available. I dont want to call out anyone by name but the hint here is i was obviosuly trying to buy a "fast coin" seeing how quickly it moved in price and off the shelf once he knew i wanted it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, I'm impartial, but the potential buyer says he went to buy "A" coin.
    What collector needs 3 ?

I could understand if it was just ONE coin, but after reading the flaming , I have to look deeper at the title of the thread and wonder. That's all. Trying to be objective here. image >>

So becasue i wanted 3 of the coins Im questionable? LOL
  • Options
    no no
    mumu
    and niether is joe joe

LOL back at ya image
  • Options
    Wondercoin, thanks for pointing out the teletrade auctions. Truth is I have not paid much attention to teletrade and Im thinking I should huh?
  • Options
    I'm just saying it's a matter of you being upset at not being able to capitalize on a potentially good deal. It went south as soon as the dealer realized you wanted his entire inventory of "A" coin.

It isn't about ethical at this juncture, it's about protecting capital. It's rather simple, really.
  • Options
    I think you might want to consider that real fast as (2) more of the toned one come up tomorrow night as I recall. Of course, now you need to deal with everyone reading this thread deciding if they want to buy the coins at 33% of price guide as well tomorrow night.

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch, you dirty capitalist, you image
  • Options
    I just registered. I am now considering going after the toned 66 instead of multiple 65s.
  • Options
    All's well that ends well.

Good luck tomorrow night.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny that someone has a problem with collectors wanting 3 of anything. That somehow makes them less of a collector. I guess a speculator. In the 1970's I owned 9 1867-s quarters, 7 of those came from one transaction in Coin World. I loved that date and would have bought another 9 pieces if they were available. There are doubt many collectors here who have 3 or more of many coins they consider keys or semi-keys in their collecting specialty. I'm also guilty of buying 10 1892 Peru 1/2 dino's back in 1988 at $12 each. The coins were all superb toner gems. I wish I could have bought more. I still have 9 of those to this day. If certain coins are good deals, many here would be happy to take multiples.

Didn't we have this discussion a long time ago about their being 2 Rettews currently dealing coins in 2 totally different modes? Frankly, I place limited value on a lengthy resume when it really comes down to the coins themselves and the service provided. Many times I have found that the great resumes don't always pan out. My biggest loss in coins was from a dealer who had an impressive resume and list of organizations he belonged to. It meant nothing in the end since his own word was worthless.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Well, I didn't mean to sound like I was telling someone how to spend their money.

In the original post, it really sounded like that the original poster was hand-to-mouth as far as under $100 of cash. It gave me the wrong impression.

I understand some folks get rubbed the wrong way when someone applies a 'means test' to their purchases. But i'm not a dealer, i'm not involved; i'm just observing that if it's really a choice between "food" and "rare coins", then maybe there is a problem here, and perhaps the coin collecting itch can be scratched in a cheaper manner.

Captain Obvious has found Miss Impression and is signing off.

There is something to be said for keeping a sane and healthy cash flow regardless of whether you are poor or rich. I call it 'keeping some powder dry'. It allows one to jump on an immediate transaction. Personally, I dislike credit and minimize its use.

Now that TeleTrade has been discovered by the original poster, I look forward to the "what the heck is this ugly image on TeleTrade" posts.

• Options
    I find it quite amusing that a guy making $12,000 per month not only chases after $37 coins, but has the audacity to start a bash thread when he doesnt get to aquire them at that price. A nice $1,500 coin...sure, piss and moan till you are content. But a $37 coin??? Are you for real?
  • Options

<< <i>I find it quite amusing that a guy making $12,000 per month not only chases after $37 coins, but has the audacity to start a bash thread when he doesnt get to aquire them at that price. A nice $1,500 coin...sure, piss and moan till you are content. But a $37 coin??? Are you for real? >>

I collect what I want, not what impresss you. I have my reason for wanting these coins. That reason is irrelvant to the dealers behavior.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little info on the coin in question the MS66 is a TOP POP at 140 and none better in that grade. Tthe PCGS price guide values today is at $625.00.
    The reason the price was lower on the 65's is that there are 465 of them, and another 687 in 64.
    This coin is one of the minor keys of the silver set.
    Now the kicker I have been outbid serveal times in the $500.00+ range.
    And who knows what the reserve is set at on TeleTrade as it never shows.
  • Options
    I was also gonna advise to put some 20% of your weekly budget in a "dry powder" fund...

Just chalk it up as a lesson learned. How could you have handled it differently?

I look at it this way... we all have a happy price, and there will always be more coins, better coins, motivated sellers,etc...
  • Options
    I do that. I keep about 1k on hand generally for all of these things and dinners et cetera. But having just bought a barber half in ms64 I was "dry" in my "dry powder" bank account. Yes I should have just waited, but was I really asking too much of a dealer to hold something for me? I mean really is this something really going out on a stretch for the guy to hold 3 37$ coins for me that you have to call me out on my income and budgeting and everything else that has been called into question? Have I really crossed the line of what's normal by asking the guy to hold 100$ worth of coins for ONE day. A good dealer would jump at the opportunity to establish a relationship with a customer in this way. Geez, youd think I asked the guy to send me something for free or for money.
  • Options

<< <i>I collect what I want, not what impresss you. I have my reason for wanting these coins. That reason is irrelvant to the dealers behavior. >>

Touche' , I concede here.
    I tried to excuse it with "possibilities" but ... I cannot argue further.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

I don't agree. As long as he is making the bills and paying his debts and not whining about it (which I haven't seen a problem from him on those items), then it shouldn't be any of your F'ing business or anyone else's what he does and how.

People that like to tell other people how to run their finances or life are really dumba$$es and just like sticking their noses into other people's business.

Yes, he posted. Yes, he gave details. Too bad some people don't have the couth to not nitpick and just leave stuff be.

Morons

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of something that happened at the dealership today.... (I'm a Used Car Manager)

We had ONE leftover 08 SUV left in a certain color. two people were ready to buy it. One lady showed up today to finalize the deal, she came in with her trade, I appraised her trade, and she bought said SUV. At the same time (The stupid thing had been in stock since August I am told, go figure) another family wanted it. They missed it by, literally, minutes.

We offered to find another one as there's a handful out there, but apparently they threw a fit and suggested that we were less than ethical. They had been in during the week to discuss it, but weren't ready to buy. Another customer was and she bought it.

Stuff happens, you should have agreed to buy said coins and then said it would take a day or two to send payment. I did the same thing at the last Parsippany show, I saw an SLQ I wanted, didn't have the cash on me, and forgot my ATM card. I told the dealer I would send a money order to him during the upcoming week, I did and he instantly shipped me the coin. I have the coin, I am thrilled.

Clear communication is the key.

Also, to the OP, how much you make and what you can and can not afford is irrelevant, it seemed to me like you were bragging about your income, that's a bit declasse IMO.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Reminds me of something that happened at the dealership today.... (I'm a Used Car Manager)

We had ONE leftover 08 SUV left in a certain color. two people were ready to buy it. One lady showed up today to finalize the deal, she came in with her trade, I appraised her trade, and she bought said SUV. At the same time (The stupid thing had been in stock since August I am told, go figure) another family wanted it. They missed it by, literally, minutes.

We offered to find another one as there's a handful out there, but apparently they threw a fit and suggested that we were less than ethical. They had been in during the week to discuss it, but weren't ready to buy. Another customer was and she bought it.

Stuff happens, you should have agreed to buy said coins and then said it would take a day or two to send payment. I did the same thing at the last Parsippany show, I saw an SLQ I wanted, didn't have the cash on me, and forgot my ATM card. I told the dealer I would send a money order to him during the upcoming week, I did and he instantly shipped me the coin. I have the coin, I am thrilled.

Clear communication is the key.

Also, to the OP, how much you make and what you can and can not afford is irrelevant, it seemed to me like you were bragging about your income, that's a bit declasse IMO. >>

Neat another car guy! We had that happen a year or so ago on 150K car. Person A had been in late on tuesday night to check it out, and agreed to a price. I offered to have all papers drawn and the deal finalized for him to pick up the vehicle the next day. He declined and said he would be in the next day with a cashier's check and would finalize all paperwork then. I informed him that while our price was agreed upon, and that if we consummated the deal, the price would not change, the DEAL itself was not done, and that if someone else wandered in wanting to buy the car before he showed up with his cashier's check, that we would indeed sell it. He agreed with that logic, and went so far as to say "if someone walks in here tomorrow morning with almost 200K and wants the car - then I guess I just wasn't meant to have it, I will see you at 3pm"

Now I don't know what the odds are, but early the next morning another guy wanders in, sees the car, and asks if it is for sale. (at the time the model was incredibly hot, and the sale price was quite a large amount over the MSRP of the vehicle) The salesperson asked me (I am the New Car Manager) and I informed him that yes, technically it was. Within two minutes he decided he would buy it, and called his assistant to tell her to swing buy the bank and pick up a cashier's check for the total. She was there in 45 minutes and the car was his......JUST as the guy from the night before walked in.

Guy from the night before was PISSED. Called me and my employees every dirty unethical name he could think of. I reminded him that I had been quite unambiguous and that he had agreed. He was having none of it. Oh well. I just enjoyed the show.

PS. I don't think the OP was bragging about his income. Several people completely out of turn basically accused him of being financially irresponsible and assumed he couldn't afford $100 worth of coins. He was defending himself. Now whether or not one needs to defend oneself against online ego bruisings..........is debatable.
  • Options
    I really enjoy these car sales analogies because I have always thought that they are often great, real world parallels for much of what goes on in the coin industry.
  • Options

<< <i>I really enjoy these car sales analogies because I have always thought that they are often great, real world parallels for much of what goes on in the coin industry. >>

I quit selling cars and managing a lot just for feeling dirty. Look at F 'n' GM, now image
    I've seen some crappy stuff in a few short years in coins.

That's why I've set up a "Buy Here, Pay Here" program.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Too bad the facts were dribbled out one by one. It tends to give folks incorrect impressions. It makes for long threads full of half truths.

I'm sorry if I came off sounding like an unwanted financial advisor.

But in the original post, it really sounded like the original poster did not have two coins to rub together until the next paycheck.

In this world of financial mismanagement followed by bailouts, I was concerned that we had someone choosing "coins" over "food".

It's obviously not the case. We have someone who was short on dry powder. I can relate to that. I sure hope nobody puts anything expensive up on the BST that I cannot afford.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭
    Ethical or not, the seller owns the coins and without a true list price can change the prices as he wishes.

The inquiry provide the seller time to assess the current market and adjust his price accordingly.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This really sounds like a big misunderstanding with a lot of miscommunication. Since there are no emails, we have no transcript of what happened, and it's one word versus another. Maybe the buyer misheard a term that the dealer stated. Maybe the dealer misheard and accidentally agreed to a term from the buyer. Maybe one party thought they said something but didn't actually verbalize it. Regardless, what's done is done.

I find it incredibly rare for a dealer to have a flawless record in the eyes of all--most for whom I can provide a glowing recommendation have, at some time or another, been blasted on the boards because someone perceived a problem in a transaction. Sometimes it's as simple as personalities clashing. Everyone has their reasons for shopping with or avoiding specific dealers, so maybe this is just a good time for the OP to pass on this dealer and move on to one with whom he'll feel better treated.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    And here we have the the youngest guy making the wisest response imo. image
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Mumu if it makes you feel any better quite a while back I saw someone here that had thousands of posts had a website that listed coins for sale in their sign line.

I checked the coins and saw a few that were underpriced IMO so I go through the checkout and purchase the coins via paypal.

Then I get the email claiming he doesn't trust me and to send a personal check to a PO Box.

Obviously I declined as i didn't trust him so canceled the deal [it involved thousand of dollars].

A week later I go back to his website and guess what, the prices on those coins had gone up substantially.

Now I am not saying what happened to you is like this, as I don't know the dealer you mention or will even say who the one is I dealt with here because it doesn't matter, my only point is what happened to you has happened hundreds of times I am sure whether it is an honest misunderstanding or something beyond that.

PS Here is another sad story where I once used a coin dealers website to purchase some coins and his site was later hacked and all of him customers had mysterious credit card purchases made.

The moral on that one is to use virtual credit card numbers with online sites.

• Options
    And, with about 3 1/2 hours to go in the TT auction, one of the 1955-D toned quarters in PCGS-MS65 (the subject of this thread) still sits at a mere $12!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    Well since i read the whole thread i suppose some input is in order, personally i've never asked a dealer to hold anything but i can understand your reasoning and can see doing that
    i think it all comes down to if someone says they will hold the items and doesn't thats just bad business as they could easily say the couldn't hold them. as for the comments seeming to say that if you have to wait for your paycheck for a $100 transaction you should be spending your money elsewhere i think you should worry about your own finances instead of other peoples i seriously doubt anybody on here is forgoing food or clothing for the sake of adding to their coin collection.
  • Options
    "i seriously doubt anybody on here is forgoing food or clothing for the sake of adding to their coin collection."

Food - no
    Clothing - guilty as charged!!

Wondercoin

• Options
    $27 & $36 respectively for the MS65's tonight - seller nets around $22 & $31 after seller fees.

MS66, on the other hand, fetched fairly strong money. I know the buyer of the coin.

MUMU - did you buy one of the 65's?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    I bid on them and the 66 but both went higher. I have several 55-ds so its not like im dying to get these. i just dont like that dealer. he didnt have to do that. Whether its 100 in coins or $5000 if you agree to do something and you do not youre being dishonest.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really enjoy these car sales analogies because I have always thought that they are often great, real world parallels for much of what goes on in the coin industry. >>

You're right. There are wonderful people to do business with, and slimy scumbags. There are customers that are a joy to behold, and whiny little crybabies with an unbridled sense of entitlement.

Come to think of it - that describes pretty much every industry now doesn't it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file