Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Giveaway Saturday!! For those that lost their Job. 1975 Topps Cellos' Mailed!!

If you lost your job, please post so in this thread. I will send you 1 unopened cello of 1975 topps Baseball, under one condition, YOU MUST bust the pack live in this thread, and post scans.
Any card you get is yours to do with. We just want to see them.
I will send the cello pack out once I acknowledge you in this thread I will ask you for you to pm me your address. I have 10 packs. The first 10 people to post here will get the cello.
Please do not pm before I acknowledge you in the thread.
I will list you at the top of this thread, and then once I mail the cello I will say so next to your board name.

1. lsutigers1973- Address recv'd- shipped
2. bhl2359- Address recv'd- shipped
3. smet- Address recv'd- shipped
4. samspop- Address recv'd- shipped
5. OAKESY25- Address recv'd- shipped
6. jasoneggert- Address recv'd- shipped
7. Dboneesq- Address recv'd - shipped
8. BigWilli- Address recv'd - shipped
9. bhelser- Address recv'd - shipped
10. mikelowell25- Address recv'd - shipped
11.TheThrill22- Address recv'd - shipped
12.Eagleeyekid- Address recv'd - shpped
13.BunchOBull- Address recv'd - shipped
14.jimrad - Address recv'd - shipped
15.Clemaz- Address recv'd - shipped
16.HeritageAddict- Address recv'd - shipped

Ok I have 16 people I couldn't just say no to anyone....please pm me your address and I will mail them all out on monday. I will send them priority mail and include the tracking number next to your name on this thread.
Please DO NOT ask for any particluar pack as I will blindly pull one and stick it in the mailer.

Here are the packs...remember you must post scans of the cards you pull so everyone can enjoy them.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very generous giveaway. image
  • Options
    Very Cool image
  • Options
    The real estate company I have worked for the last 5 years, which this time last year was the second largest in our market, closed last week due to financial issues. Now I am kind of in limbo. I can not even have my licensed transferred to another company for another week or so. Will probably be another 3 weeks before I can actively pursue new clientelle.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    WOW, that is very generous of you! image
  • Options
    No post here, Thank God! I appreciate what you are doing.image
  • Options
    I recently lost my job and have been playing "Mr. Mom" the last couple of months. Thanks so much for a very generous offer.

Greg
  • Options
    I fired myself the other day. I will go ahead and pass on the cards, as I am sure there are more then 10 that lost their job and are much bigger baseball fans then me so I will let then have the cellos. Plus firing yourself probably should not count but I am not really sure what to do with myself. I have been working for myself for about 10 years now and by the end of the week I should have everything all wrapped up and boxed away so to say. I think I have a decent resume, own my own house and have no kids so I am sure I will be alright at the end of the day, but being a workaholic it is driving me a little crazy doing nothing for the moment.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    very nice thing for you to do

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    This is very generous of you to do a thread and giveaway like this...Glad to say that I've been back to work now for the last 2 weeks!!

Nothing worse than being out of work and not knowing where your next dollar will come from. I was out of work for 4 months back in late 07 into March of last year when the Writers Guild of America went on strike. Then I got injured on a movie set a month later and was out of work for 3 months last year. I worked a month on a movie during August and my wife had a baby on Sept 4...I got laid off at the hospital because they were already crewing down and nearing the end of the movie. I was out of work from Sept 4, 08 til Feb 9, 2009. My unemployment left me with $200 a month after I paid my rent.

Right now I'm very fortunate to be working on Iron Man II, AKA "Rasputin" which is being filmed just 4 miles from home, but anything can happen in my industry. I'm what is considered a "Below the line" worker in the movies and we are only classified as a daily hire employees and are only guaranteed one day work.

During the last 18 months I saw my personal 401K lose over 80% of its value..I sold off all of my personal possessions I could live without just to survive. That included my custom Harley, and my 2 custom rode bicycles. One was a 2003 tour de France race bike. image In late 07 when the WGA strike was going on, I had to sell off my prized Mickey Mantle cards and 2 autographed photos and some autographed celeb photos my late father had gotten back in the 60's when he was at Paramount. The three autos that will haunt me forever will be the Lucille Ball, Joe Dimaggio (one of my dad's close friends knew Joe very well back in the 60's and 70's) and the John Matuzek auto my dad got back when he was doing North Dallas Forty.

I pray that everyone here will have a better 2009 than their previous years and I'm very sorry to the ones who are out of work.

Brian
  • Options
    Nice to hear you are working again Brian.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Great to here you are back at work Brian!
  • Options
    Brian, I am glad to hear you found some work.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice to hear you are working again Brian. >>

Thanks, I'm very blessed to be working! I was seriously down to having to sell my car i use to drive to work when I got the call to start work.

brian
  • Options
    I had to let people go this week due to our being so slow and machinery sitting idle. I feel like absolute crap, and its really bothering me emotionally. I hate whats going on out there in the world right now, it not easy on any account.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Still working here, superb gesture, top-notch. I hope they all pull something Minty and nice.

Best of luck to all in need of employment.
  • Options
    Wow, very nice gesture. I haven't worked since early fall, not many people need subdivisions designed right now lol. Brian, glad to see you are back to work.
  • Options
    smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Does it count if I haven't been able to find a job for 3+ months? I finished my MBA (and therefore my job as a graduate assistant), but apparently my MBA isn't going to help me all that much in this market. So, hopefully I can find something soon. Hopefully one of my 3 recent interviews will pan out.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I'm very thankful that I still have my job, but wanted to commend you on your generosity.

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    The Burger King dude is the original pimp daddy.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Laid off 1 1/2 weeks ago after receiving a promotion to management on Nov 1. I did have my 2nd interview with another company on Friday and it does offer some hope, but my industry is currently in the tank. I work in steel distribution, and we support construction and large equipment manufacturing for the most part. Both of those industries are hanging on to the hope that the stimulus package gives a lot to large public works projects.

I have not shared this with the board, yet, but losing my job last week was a small blip on the radar for my life the past month. My wife was on Flight 1549 that landed in the Hudson. Here is a link to one of the articles that was written about our experience...

This is it....

my wife is Vicki Barnhardt. I am soooo blessed to have her still here because for a time, I thought I did not.

Very generous giveaway, by the way. I am within 50-60 cards of completing my 1975 raw set. Hope to pull a few.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    lost my job at the end of january.. this is super generous

I am an underwriter for an auto finance company that made it through about 8 layoffs
    scary thing is.. almost all the other companies that do what I do.. went belly up..
    so prospects are grim, but I know it is a matter of time before things turn around for all of us

bob
  • Options
    I lost my job in December. Still nothing. Very frustrating. Thanks for the generosity!

-Jason
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Well ... since I am self employed I guess I can't really LOSE my job. However, when my wife was diagnosed a little over one year ago I had to close my office and use a room in my home as an office so I could help take care of my two daughters. I'm still working, but because of this situation and the economy I'm down over 60% from prior years. Does it suck? Hell yeah, but you have to do what is necessary to take care of your family. As my signature states, most of my really good stuff was sold to help pay the bills, but one day I will get some of them back.

That being said, if you get 10 other people, keep me off the list. If not, maybe you can consider my name.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Wow man that's extremely generous. A nice pick-me-up for those who are struggling right now.

I feel very lucky to still have a job. It's crazy out there.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    economy has to bottom out sooner than later.

FAQ's
    1- IMHO we have hit rock bottom economically, which means, albeit slowly, we will start seeing economic growth
    2- unemployment rate back in early 80s was 2x as bad as current unemployment fiasco
    3- 1980s recession lasted 14 weeks, this weekend marks the 14th (official) week of our current recession, so I hope we are slowly improving
    4- 1970s recession was pretty bad too, anybody around for that one? RUBE??? it was pretty serious as well, but not as bad as the one in the 80s
    5- my wife is an RN, and that particular profession was recession proof, but last week her hospital made some pretty serious layoffs of RN's as well, so everybody has/is being affected
    6= keep the faith everybody.

J aka "adam smith"
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I was layed off back in September....its been very tough up here in New York but i do have a couple of interviews
    set up for net week , so i hope i wont be sitting around for too much longer.

Very nice gesture.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    what if yer old and retired from the army, and need a 75 cello pack for your collection,and you're meimage
  • Options
    hi mattimage
  • Options
    IJustLoveCards -

Very generous of you. After finding out we are pregnant in December......I was let go the first week of January. My county is now up to 16% Unemployment!image It has been rough not working.

The worst part of it all.....my Wife's job does not have insurance, and it was $890 /mo for COBRA insurance image

I am not sure if 10 people have posted ahead of me or not, but either way thanks IJustLoveCards.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    i got laid off two weeks ago, only one week after celebrating my twelve-year anniversary with the company. they gave me a cake one week and then my pink slip a week later.image
  • Options
    It has seemed like jobs around here are very hard to find . I did get kinda lucky , upon my last visit to the unemployment office , i
    was told to fill out an application to a company called Remington Arms . They have been in this community for decades and they
    pay pretty decent. I figured they would get so many applications that i would never hear from them , but to my suprise they called
    me last week and set up an interview and drug test . While sitting at home yesterday they called again and want me to come
    to another interview next week . So i am really excited that things might finally break.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I lost my job on August 29, 2008. This is quite a gesture.
  • Options
    <they gave me a cake one week and then my pink slip a week later.> image
    sorry, thats not funny man , its just the way modern companies are anymore though, glad im old,id hate to try and get a job now,i could be a greeter a walmart maybe, cart sonny?
    back in 50s-60s, you could get a job at any plant on the spot, now you do well to find a plant image thanx bill and nafta,that was greatimage
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    image I don't qualify for the contest (thankfully), but definitely want to applaud the generosity! image

I wish all of the participants the best of luck in your job searches!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    lost my job in May of 08, now self employed but not making anywhere close to what i need to be making. but i'm still here, just not buying as many cards in the last year or so, trying to trade more and i like that part of the hobby, and sell some of what i got.

if i qualify i will use the cards to upgrade the ones i have and then pass the others and my upgrades on to someone else.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I haven't had a job since June of 2007. I was laid off.
    Matt (LMM), and Rube can vouch for me.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Awesome giveaway. I hate to hear so many people are out of work. I really hope things get better, it is kind of scary.
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    What a kind person you are, F ...okay, I'm going to work late on Monday and getting fired!

Mike
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    It is really tough out there. I live about 35-45 minutes outside of Chicago and there are a lot of people out of work here. I've got 25 years experience in health care benefits administration but with so many folks out of work around the country, not as many people have benefits. COBRA (continuation of coverage) is very expensive and not an option for most. I know at least 12 people in my age range (I am 43) who have lost their jobs within the last year.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I watched Michael Moore's film Sicko today. Pretty sad.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I've been unemployeed since late October, early November. It was okay for awhile, I was just doing contract work and making money still, now all the work I was doing has moved to DC, so I'm officially throwing my resume in at spots all over the country.

I did get a call for an R&D position yesterday, but I've got to pay out of pocket to fly out to an interview...and if they like me, pay to come out again one more time. That sucks.

In the end, there is always teaching I guess.

edited to add, reading back, there are a lot of us in the same boat. Wow. Thank you for your consideration in the contest...I knew times are tough, but I didn't realize so many people congregated in one spot were in the same boat.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I chose to not take the cobra.. it was like $1100 per month..
    I need any money I have to pay my mtg.. I have to roll the dice on the health
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    There are many opportunities for refinancing your mortgages as well.

Most, if not all, mortgage companies are currently willing to work w/ you. Times are hard for companies, not just employees, for sure.

A mortgage company would rather keep you in the house paying (some) mortgage payment than taking off & paying rent w/ that money somewhere else, while the house basically devalues since you have moved or bailed on the mortgage.

Don't settle for "rookie joe" stunods on the phone, ask to speak w/ their managers & you will get positive feedback & cooperative people willing to help reduce your mortgage payments & save the value of their investments.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I would join in the fun, but I was already sent a very generous package from Felicia a month ago. Just wanted to say thanks again. I'm still looking, but please pass me over for others. image
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I am on my last extension of unemployment........and the cobra is killing me.
    So I qualify.

edit to add: I also have a 1975 topps set raw that is 80% completed.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Still have my job, at least for the moment but I think this is a great thing you are doing.

Bob...
  • Options
    what if your on vacation for the next month. does that count?
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    hopefully, after some of the scams on this boar, you will get people who ACTUALLY lost their job. Kudos to you...just verify. Can't wait to see the busting!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of mortgages I just refinanced from 6.75 to 4.25 interest.

Was able to pull out 10k in cash too.

Steve

edited to add: great thing you are doing! I have not lost a job.

Good for you.