Home Metal Detecting
Options

17 tons of gold

I posted this on the PM forum, but I think all the MD might like this. I watched an old episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" today about a group of Mexican businessmen who smuggled 17 tons of gold into the US in a vain attempt to make a quick profit in 1933. The gold is now lost, buried somewhere in New Mexico. To my surprise, it was a well documented scheme.
17 tons!!
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    Wow. 17 tons? that's a lot of gold to bury...
    ~William
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was that the gold discovered in a cave? Then, some taken by the discoverer's, but since it was on a military base, the Army shut down access and it has since been 'acquired'. Could be a different hoard, but sure sounds like the same one. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I heard the cave story too, but this is a different one.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    How big of a package would 17 tons of gold be?
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    17 tons of gold would fill 2816 cubic feet or a volume equivalent to 22 cords of firewood!!

Seems to me that if it is all buried in one place, a very, very sensitive magnetometer could detect it from the air; inasmuch as this would be a significant mass concentration.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abreviated version..

17 tons of gold
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Research, research, research - that is the answer. If it still exists (doubtful), research will lead the diligent to the treasure. Cheers, RickO