Home Precious Metals
Options

at $13.16 what is a fair price to trade 90% at for coins??

I am interested in doing a trade and he wants 90% for the coins I want. What is a fair # x face for a coin trade. I guess what is it selling at right now?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    9-12x
    Its all relative
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At todays silver spot price .... 9.5 x face .... however, chances are that you'r not going to find anything less than 10 x face
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I don't think you will find 90% trading hands anywhere for less than 10x face.

Lewis
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
    A few months ago when spot silver was at $8.50 an ounce junk silver was still hanging around 10X. Now with spot silver moving over $13.00 an ounce I expect people to be asking slightly higher.
  • Options
    "Actual Melt" of 90% at $13.16/oz is 9.4x face. I would expect to see a 10-15% premium attached to that to make the "trading value" somewhere in the 10.3x to 10.8x range. If I was ultra bullish on silver right now, I might personally go as high as 11.5x. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Actual Melt" of 90% at $13.16/oz is 9.4x face. I would expect to see a 10-15% premium attached to that to make the "trading value" somewhere in the 10.3x to 10.8x range. If I was ultra bullish on silver right now, I might personally go as high as 11.5x. Hope this helps. >>

No sense in going that high..11.5x.
    The premiums go up as volatility rises. In otherwords, if there are quick moves up or down beyond the norm trading range the premiums widen to compensate. That's what the Vix index is all about....a measure of volatility...which I remind you doesn't mean that because a commodity or stock is high priced that the premiums are wider on options. It's about rapid change beyond the normal trading ranges within a set period of time.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at a little junk silver today at the Long Beach show... most dealers were around 11x face when selling (when melt is 9.5x face). Didn't buy anything. The same dealers didn't seem too interested in buying a roll of silver dollars from me at 11x face though (even though these melt now for slightly more than 10x face). Seemed strange considering that many of these dealers end up selling all of their junk dollars in a $15 each bin, or $18 each bin, etc.
  • Options
    I'll buy your roll of dollars for 11x :-)
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>I looked at a little junk silver today at the Long Beach show... most dealers were around 11x face when selling (when melt is 9.5x face). Didn't buy anything. The same dealers didn't seem too interested in buying a roll of silver dollars from me at 11x face though (even though these melt now for slightly more than 10x face). Seemed strange considering that many of these dealers end up selling all of their junk dollars in a $15 each bin, or $18 each bin, etc. >>

I hear you. The other day I was chided for bidding melt for over 10K worth of silver and as you noted, a dealer wouldn't pay any more than that.

To me it makes no sense in playing the dealers game. As in poker, one always trys to beat the dealer...or cut the odds down to a minimum on losses.

It amazes me that so many think that raw silver should carry much of a premium, especially since one can buy and sell silver bullion contracts on an exchange floor or a silver ETN on a bourse.
  • Options
    dupe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I looked at a little junk silver today at the Long Beach show... most dealers were around 11x face when selling (when melt is 9.5x face). Didn't buy anything. The same dealers didn't seem too interested in buying a roll of silver dollars from me at 11x face though (even though these melt now for slightly more than 10x face). Seemed strange considering that many of these dealers end up selling all of their junk dollars in a $15 each bin, or $18 each bin, etc. >>

I hear you. The other day I was chided for bidding melt for over 10K worth of silver and as you noted, a dealer wouldn't pay any more than that.

To me it makes no sense in playing the dealers game. As in poker, one always trys to beat the dealer...or cut the odds down to a minimum on losses.

It amazes me that so many think that raw silver should carry much of a premium, especially since one can buy and sell silver bullion contracts on an exchange floor or a silver ETN on a bourse. >>

That's a paper contract NOT the real deal unless you can take delivery of a 1,000 oz. bar from COMEX. Of course this would cost you quite a bit in shipping charges and that's only if you could actually get them to deliver you one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It amazes me that so many think that raw silver should carry much of a premium, especially since one can buy and sell silver bullion contracts on an exchange floor or a silver ETN on a bourse. >>

That's a paper contract NOT the real deal unless you can take delivery of a 1,000 oz. bar from COMEX. Of course this would cost you quite a bit in shipping charges and that's only if you could actually get them to deliver you one. >>

Forgot to add that where I live the dealers ARE paying way over melt as I got 10.1 times face for some Rosy dimes when silver was at around $12.30 an oz.
  • Options

<< <i>
    That's a paper contract NOT the real deal unless you can take delivery of a 1,000 oz. bar from COMEX. Of course this would cost you quite a bit in shipping charges and that's only if you could actually get them to deliver you one. >>

Forgot to add that where I live the dealers ARE paying way over melt as I got 10.1 times face for some Rosy dimes when silver was at around $12.30 an oz. >>

It's all the real deal when your money is on the line. I don't follow your logic.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Forgot to add that where I live the dealers ARE paying way over melt as I got 10.1 times face for some Rosy dimes when silver was at around $12.30 an oz. >>

It's all the real deal when your money is on the line. I don't follow your logic. >>

Not to hard to follow that if B&M dealers in my area are paying this much and more than one were why should people sell for melt? Would it seem logical for you to sell your 90% to me for melt when you could go to a B&M shop and get considerably more?
  • Options
    Not trying to throw you under the bus but you are always quick to offer to buy people's silver for melt when you know full well that you'd never consider such a ridiculous offer yourself.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10.5 x face...
  • Options

<< <i>Not trying to throw you under the bus but you are always quick to offer to buy people's silver for melt when you know full well that you'd never consider such a ridiculous offer yourself. >>

Turn your PM on...

No big deal. The guy was trying to sell 10K worth of raw silver at 11.5. I thought we'd meet somewhere in the middle. I never did find out what he got for his silver.
  • Options
    I found some saturday @ X10. At a local B&M.
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not trying to throw you under the bus but you are always quick to offer to buy people's silver for melt when you know full well that you'd never consider such a ridiculous offer yourself. >>

Turn your PM on...

No big deal. The guy was trying to sell 10K worth of raw silver at 11.5. I thought we'd meet somewhere in the middle. I never did find out what he got for his silver.

Yea, I like to bargain myself sorry to get in the way of your negotiations, next time I'll mind my own business.
  • Options

<< <i>I found some saturday @ X10. At a local B&M.[/

You did good, last time I was in a coin store a week ago I paid 10.7 times face for 20 walkers. There were some better dates like 18-D, 18-s, 20-D, 27-s,28-s, 29-D, 33-s, 34-D, 38 all in VG-VF along with some from the 40's in XF-AU including another 46 double die reverse I must have 20 of these by now image