Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a particular grade that "bugs" you, in general?

AU53 bugs me for some reason. I simply cannot bring myself to love the grade.

Comments

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50 and MS60

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    MS60-61. I get the point of the grade though. A beat up coin with no signes of wear. Just an ugly POS. AU58s look much better

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    MS61
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AU50 and MS60 >>

TC
  • Options

<< <i>MS60-61. I get the point of the grade though. A beat up coin with no signes of wear. Just an ugly POS. AU58s look much better >>

I agree on the 58's...my fav. grade
  • Options
    60-61-62. Dont like em. I bought 1 62 recently becasue I think its better and I have a 62 with some toning I like. But other than that I stay away.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered by MS60. Here are a couple that PCGS called MS60:

• Options

<< <i>I'm not bothered by MS60. Here are a couple that PCGS called MS60: >>

Nice..I wouldn't be bothered by those either ... although the 1830 seems to have some wear?
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RD when it has a weak strike.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree that MS 62 is a troublesome grade. It only seems like a viable grade when a 63 or 64 becomes cost prohibitive, but I never love the look of a 62 Morgan.
    MS60-61 is not even on my radar and I'd rather go AU58 than a low grade MS coin.

AU53 doesn't bother me as much and I'm happy there are no other AU grades other than 50, 55 and 58.

AU58 can be a great looking coin...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS70----There is no such thing as a perfect coin. A few years ago this grade was never used since it was a theoretical grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I avoid the whole AU range and most low MS.
    Id rather have MS64 or worn VF.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS graded this 1795 eagle AU-53, and I really have to agree with them. The coin has a lot of luster, and not much wear, but there are a lot of very small circulation marks. They don't amount to much, but together they leave me thinking, "This is better than an AU-50, but it's not really an AU-55. So AU-53 seems appropriate.

NGC graded this 1797 half dime AU-53. It's an old holder, and this case I might be included to call it AU-55. The flat eagle on the reverse is normal for the variety. Most coins of this variety could be MS-65, and the eagle would look just the same.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-61. Always uglier than a high AU and never up to the quality of near Gem. All said, just too much of a compromise.
  • Options
    PR69 when I'm keeping my fingers crossed for PR70
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    VF35
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    53 was the first thing that came to mind when I read your thread title.

Most of the 53's I see are a 55 or 58 with something wrong, maybe not enough to call it a 'problem coin' but still a detriment. A light scratch, a big bonk, a rim bump, a ding, a knock, a big hit on the lady's cheek, whatever.

I've don't very often see a 53 I like, and when I do it is like an earlier poster said, a 50 with a little something special -- just a little more luster, a little more flash, a brilliant strike, nice freedom from marks or something. But it doesn't seem to happen that way very often.
    mirabela
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    not a particular grade.. what bugs me is over grading and slabbing
    coins that are obviously not problem free.

this is the problem with the hobby right now to me.

i am not a big enough fool to fall for it.
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    VG10
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    So called MS-69, MS-70 and AU-50. None of these are realistic.
  • Options
    No particular grade bugs me, but I hate it when dealers will grade coins
    as "about fine." So it's not fine, but it's not VG either.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    MS60-62

Usually just don't look very good. I do some exceptions posted though.
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    AU50-55, MS60-62.

Granted, many nice coins may be in holders of these grades, the numbers themselves I don't like. I can't explain why, but they just bother me.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like 61 or 62, unless I can buy it for the price of 60.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor-1 bugs me, mostly because I can't find a capped bust half dime for my grading set in this grade!
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not bugged by any particular grade. What kind of bugs me is when a dealer gives a coin two grades. Like F/VF. You see this on ebay all the time. Well, which is it? It can't be both.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Au-53 bugs me
    except for this one
    imageimage
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I like the AU-58 and the MS-64, as well as select MS-63.

The MS-60,61 & 62 are generally fugly and not worth the

premium for MS. I also dislike most AU- 50s as well as AU- 53s

and AU55s.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    61BN
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, there are nice coins for every grade and dogs in every grade and many okay-dokey coins in between.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    MS-62
  • Options

<< <i> Is there a particular grade that "bugs" you, in general? >>

......I guess it would have to be a 70 grades. Many coins and I realy mean many coins don't deserve a 70 grade.These coins may look really nice but somewhere down the road how can the older coins be better than the newer ones. Take that old 70 grade and compare it to the new 70 grade and see if there is a difference.I'm sure the new coin will be better struck better than the old.
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    : Is there a particular grade that "bugs" you, in general?commoncents123

In general, it is the 3rd grade that bugs me.
    I didn't care for my teacher when I was in it, and got poor grades.
    Now the 4th grade, I liked and I did much better.

Ray
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AU53 bugs me for some reason. I simply cannot bring myself to love the grade. >>

I'll take a AU53 over a VF25 any day. It doesn't even matter what coin it is.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for MS60 & 61
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    AU 53 for me also. I always wonder what is wrong that the coin did not receive AU 55. Hard for me to believe that the graders could not decide between AU 50 and AU 55, so they gave it the AU 53. AU 53 normally sells for little more than AU 50, well below AU 55 money.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the others that (usually) prefer 58's to 61's or 62's.

Sellers' grades don't bug me except when I don't agree with the grade they have assigned to the coin, which is fairly often, especially on raw coins.

I also hate it when dealers assign split grades to most of their raw coins, in an obvious attempt to wrench extra money out of suckers' hands for undeserving coins!

I'm also bugged by certain dealers who say things like "should be a XX" (the next grade higher) when hyping their slabbed coins!

End of rant....
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    This fascination over 69/70 grades on modern stuff.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 can be a great looking coin...

and the above with CAN BE is why AU58 bugs me.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file