Home Precious Metals
Options

Liberty Mint silver round question...... real or fake?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
The one on the left has a date and I purchased it from a dealer that I know and it has a date, weigh's
slightly over 1 ounce.

The 2 on the right I purchased from a pawnshop. It weighs exactly one ounce but has no date and the edges
are different.

Are the 2 on the left fake or did they not put dates on some of yearsimage
I just want to make sure that they are silver. It passes the magnet test, doesn't mean much but its a startimage

Stefanie

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    probably legit, I wouldn't worry. If I was a counterfeiter, I would be counterfeiting the name brand stuff.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea as to they're authenticity. If I were a counterfeiter I'd counterfeit the no name stuff. It would lessen the chances of someone catching on to it. Even if they did catch on to it they wouldn't know if a 3rd party guy did it or if the original manufacturer just wasn't trustworthy. The profit would be less than faking big name silver but since you'd likely not get caught doing generic silver you could do it longer and then make more money. 1 year of good money faking name brand or 20 years of so-so money faking generics.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Mint is a legitimate silver company... or at least they used to be (not sure if they still make stuff)
    I have seen those rounds before and they made quite a few art bar ingots in the early 70's.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It passes the magnet test, >>

As you know, lot of non silver alloys, that look like silver, will also pass the magnet test.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    how do the suspected ones sound? do they have that silver ring?