Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finalized the sale of the 1875-S $20 PCGS MS-67 (Pictures now included)

2»

Comments

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

logger!
    you were right in the area !!! where I am looking to help my daughter find a property. No....She is going to pay for it with just a small loan to help her out.

She has two possibilities... one in the Town of Wallkill, NY and another in Chester, NY

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

tradedolllarnut:
    ownership.....past and present always add a point to the grade but I can see this coin getting an MS-67+ but I always resisted myself and advised others from taking coins out of the older for a slight upgrade.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep -- I owe you a copy of the Inco-Gould private pattern book, but need to check the postal address. Glad you're busy and doing well !

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hint for the day.

I love threads like this. I wish we have more threads about great rarities than some of the other things that we typically discuss. My hint is to always include the cert # in this description i.e. 4240924. By doing this, a simple search can find the thread about the coin. My two cents for today.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oreville It’s great to hear from you!😁 — Thanks for the update on your recent activities.

It would be great if you (or new coin owner) could post higher resolution photos of the subject coin (with owner permission, if you still have access to them) for future reference on this thread. She’s a Beauty!!👍

Those images that I posted earlier in this thread were the only ones I could find via Google search. — Thanks!!😁

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville , not to take away from the amazing coin in this thread but your mention of the tax code change is the first time I've heard of its applicability to collectibles and now, reading about it, I'm thinking many people aren't aware of the implications.

Not trying to solicit free advice (happy to pay for your time via PM if you'd prefer to answer off-board) but how does this apply to a case of selling ten coins through a dealer/auction house and buying two coins from that same dealer with the proceeds + cash in a post-2018 world?

And, does this play out differently if a profit vs loss vs wash? And finally, is some reporting required on those 10 coins even if the two won't be sold for a long time, even if receipts are kept for tax basis?

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can highly recommend Roche Harbor in the San Juan Islands of WA as a wedding venue. Guaranteed to cost you a pretty penny or 2. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    My only daughter is getting married in October. As father of the bride I suggested Buffalo Wild Wings for the reception. I was sanctioned. Alas this is going to cost me a few coins. Good thing she is literally one of my all time favorite people I’ve ever met without prejudice.

>

Congratulations to your daughter/family!

• Options

In the meantime... my daughter found a nice 53 acre parcel property bordering the Appalachian Trail with a 2400 square foot house in Warwick, NY and she closed on it just before the pandemic hit.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes to the bride, congratulations to the groom, and condolences to the father of the bride.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, it's more expensive (the wedding) during this era of social distancing. Instead of tables for 8 or 10, you need 4 or 5 times as many tables for 2 and 4. Every one of those requires a centerpiece and table cloth. That triples your flower bill.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Thank you for reminding me of that! I just thought my daughter was just being difficult.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2021 8:57PM

i just read that the 1875-S $20 Lib was just sold by Legend Numismatics for $495,000.i was surprised that it did not sell for more. I would have been an all-cash buyer at that price had I known Legend was selling it.

• Options

i was not even in a position to pay less than even $432,000 in March of 2020 with my daughter’s upcoming $75,000 wedding in August 2020 PLUS spending over $200:000 out of pocket for my wife’s final political campaign as a Judge which was as much as it was because of not being able to have any fundraisers.

I suffered a tremendous unsold valuation loss in the stock market in March 2020 but recovered not only all of the paper losses but gained an additional $400,000 in valuation as of right now. So I am now in a much better position to buy back this is coin at the higher price but still almost $100,000 less than I sold it for in 2009.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    PLUS spending over $200:000 out of pocket for my wife’s final political campaign as a Judge which was as much as it was because of not being able to have any fundraisers.

Some candidates are able to do really well fundraising in today’s climate but you have to be good at reaching your constituents online. Hope the campaign went or is going well.

• Options

My wife, as a Republican, survived her brutal re-election campaign with a narrow win to allow her to complete her last term and retire in 5 years with dignity as she is required to retire at age 70.

i cannot even post online coin pictures with competence so that proves that I was useless in reaching her constituents on line! LOL.

• Options

i noticed I hit 11,000 posts!!!!

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 2:50PM

Just resurrected this @Oreville 2009 thread on the sale of his 1875-S PCGS MS-67 $20 Liberty Type 2 Double Eagle.

I found this beautiful PCGS CoinFacts TrueVue image that I thought worth sharing with fellow forum members…

After posting this, I see @Yosclimber beat me to the punch about 6 months ago.

However, because of the coin’s significance it’s still worth including a Maximum Resolution TrueView Image link and bringing back TTT!! ;)

Click here for High Resolution Image:
    👉 https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/38634103_177573449_Max.jpg

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 8:53PM

The coin sold last March for $432k during the beginning of the pandemic. I suspect that it would sell for more today as it is the single highest graded Type 2 double eagle. It currently resides in the Black Cat collection.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-LYDC0/1875-s-liberty-head-double-eagle-ms-67-pcgs-cac

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see Stacks acknowledges Oreville in the coin's provenance. What a spectacular coin.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a helluva coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file