"It is what it is."

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS got it right, code 91 is for artificial color
  • Options
    What did they get wrong? it is in a genuine holder... There is no grade...
  • Options
    It's not actually graded
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I believe that is OK now with the new "Genuine" holder"?

Code 91 is probably a surfaces or color code (they published them here a few days ago).

So . . . I think they did OK on this one.

Drunner
  • Options
    got a bad headache from just glancing through the verbal bs then a sharp searing pain when I saw the coin....PCGS got it right...

genuine coin, no grade, code 91 artificial coloring....might as well just melt the coin.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS got it right, code 91 is for artificial color >>

I just got a code 91 todayimage, but mine says "questionable color". To me, that would be different & better than "artificial color". Wouldn't there be a code for both? Am I way off?
  • Options

<< <i>

I just got a code 91 todayimage, but mine says "questionable color". To me, that would be different & better than "artificial color". Wouldn't there be a code for both? Am I way off? >>

same difference.

Semantics, really.
  • Options
    91 Artificial Color
    92 Cleaning
    93 Planchet Flaw
    94 Altered Surfaces
    95 Scratch / Rim Dent
    97 Environmental Damage
    98 Damage
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    "questionable..."image
    I got a pop 1 coin as well. Heck, they had to make my own coin number for it as there were no BN 2004s.image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did fine. Looked AT to me, too, once I scrolled past all the crap and saw there was an actual coin for sale.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad some dumb***t made a numismatic abortion out of a nice coin. I don't know how many hundreds, possibly thousands of Unc. SLQs I've seen, and I've never seen one which was naturally / album toned like that example.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

Seems right to me image
    Ed
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned, PCGS did the right thing with a 91 on a Genuine holder.

The only thing wrong with that auction is the auction itself! Too much BS text for terms and conditions. That, alone, would, and has, made me RUN and RUN quickly away from sellers like that.

"If you want a positive, leave a positive. Our system will respond in like kind. " ---- Only a tool puts that in.

"We have never left a negative for someone who left us a positive. " --- Only a BIGGER tool puts something like that in.

Not a seller I would want to even attempt to deal with as they obviously have problems, aren't on the up and up, and are trying to put a few scares in.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    So, would it dip out to white? Of course, for $5K, its not really worth it IMHO.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Pcgs determind this coin to be Genuine. So the color doesn't have nothing to do with the real nature of the coin. That's why No grade was given or like before a body bag.

A nice Genuine U.S. COin. imageimage PCGS!

I like this new angle. No TPG service should ever take your money for a fee to get expert advice. They should of never sent your coin back in a body just because it was altered in anyway.

I really don't think the average Joe ever wanted a unexpected grade. I always thought they wanted to make sure their coin was legit and GENUINE. I honestly think many TPG's lost many huge $$$ because of the way the looked at their policy.

Now I hope they are reading this, maybe they can give back a free coupon to some small timers that signed up for a year and had mostly body bagged coins. It shouldn't be a expensive lesson for the newbie when that only asked and paid for a expert opinion in the first place.
  • Options
    I must admit that it is going to take awhile for me to get used to obvious AT coins in PCGS plastic. My first instinct like the OP was they blew it again and only then did I see the "Genuine".
  • Options
    I really hope PCGS will wake up, and describe the darn defect on the holder IN PLAIN ENGLISH, otherwise there will be a lot more shenanigans like this on eBay, leading to people getting cheated by assuming it's a good coin "because it's PCGS." Will the PCGS label come into disrepute among some buyers, causing the value of other PCGS coins to drop? Evidently, it's a gamble PCGS is willing to take.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options

<< <i>I really hope PCGS will wake up, and describe the darn defect on the holder IN PLAIN ENGLISH, otherwise there will be a lot more shenanigans like this on eBay, leading to people getting cheated by assuming it's a good coin "because it's PCGS." Will the PCGS label come into disrepute among some buyers, causing the value of other PCGS coins to drop? Evidently, it's a gamble PCGS is willing to take. >>

It says Not Gradable in plain English on the back of the slab. That should raise plenty of questions to even the inexperienced. I do see your point though. Selling the coin as target toned when the toning is AT as all get out is kind of deceitful.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently the same seller had a pricey Walker in a PCGS "genuine" holder, and had the gall to put their own MS grade in the listing title! Someone sent them an email about this being wrong and received an arrogant reply, but the listing disappeared shortly thereafter.
  • Options
    Scam seller trying to mislead.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I really hope PCGS will wake up, and describe the darn defect on the holder IN PLAIN ENGLISH, otherwise there will be a lot more shenanigans like this on eBay, leading to people getting cheated by assuming it's a good coin "because it's PCGS." Will the PCGS label come into disrepute among some buyers, causing the value of other PCGS coins to drop? Evidently, it's a gamble PCGS is willing to take. >>

It says Not Gradable in plain English on the back of the slab. That should raise plenty of questions to even the inexperienced. I do see your point though. Selling the coin as target toned when the toning is AT as all get out is kind of deceitful. >>

If PCGS can put Not Gradable in plain English on the back of the slab, they can give the reason for that in plain English on the front of the slab. Other TPGs do so, and to not to do so is just plain dumb, in my opinion.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see why some guys didn't agree with me when I said PCGS should make GENUINE Drink Coasters™
    5 grand for a coaster is just a little too much.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, learn smoething everyday!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to see PCGS slab problem coins with the PCGS name. We'll start seeing more and more of these when we search for "PCGS" on eBay and elsewhere, and like ANACS, we'll have to weed through an increasing number of problems to find "good" coins.

At least they did it right ATS when they "quarantined" problem coins with a different service name. IMO, PCGS should have done the same.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is genuine! That's it~over and done with! But the seller, I wouldn't by a wooden nickel from the bum!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Just look at all the crap this seller lays down! He has a book of policys!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Now I know what code 91 means, That's a good one to know!..........Thanks
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Would it be possible to remove the AT with minimal damage to the coin? That would be better than slabbing a fraud if you ask me.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go as far as melting this genuine coin, just because of the artificial toning. It still has some value and has more detail than a worn example which is worth only melt.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Damn, learn smoething everyday!

Leo >>

Yeah but do you remember it?image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll stick with our friend from Kent. His name is Russ. That is all.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a genuine AT coin to me
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I know what code 91 means, That's a good one to know!..........Thanks >>

District Attorney: Sargent Friday, when you entered the residence of [suspected coin doctor],
    was there a code 91 in progress?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I can't help but laugh. Everyone complains for years about body bags and says PCGS should holder them as genuine. Now PCGS holders them as genuine and everyone complains because they are doing it wrong. Look, they are doing it exactly right for their customers...dealers. And dealers don't want all that negative stuff on the label.
  • Options

<< <i>And dealers don't want all that negative stuff on the label. >>

I guess I plumb forgot. This is January, 2009 and honesty is no longer the best policy. image

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << I think PCGS got this one wrong. >>

Don't quit your day job
  • Options

<< <i>I can't help but laugh. Everyone complains for years about body bags and says PCGS should holder them as genuine. Now PCGS holders them as genuine and everyone complains because they are doing it wrong. >>

Everyone? I've long felt PCGS should have a service like NCS where they authenticate and slab problem coins. They would not be graded, they could be used in the PCGS registry and they would get the PCGS authenticity guarantee. The one thing they would NOT be, though, is branded PCGS.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i> And dealers don't want all that negative stuff on the label. >>

I think the collectors don't want it more. Dealers only care if buyers care.

But this instance of a guy trying to be very misleading with a genuine slab and charging non-problem money for the coin (and then some) makes me think that PCGS may have to address it somehow. --Jerry
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Two problems with the genuine holder.

1. PCGS doesn't, but should, state on the slab why it was not grade worthy.
    2. eBay searches for PCGS are now going to turn up coins most collectors may not want to see.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Another thought...once ebay gets their normal half wrong understanding of what is going on here they might ban the sale of PCGS Genuine coins on ebay.--Jerry
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just too doggone bad that labels aren't available in different COLORS for quick differentiation.

Dang!

If only.

The new holders do NOT "serve the purpose" of a "GENUINE" holder. All differentiation "should" be evident at first GLANCE!

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy the coin from that seller, nor anything else from them for that matter.

Typical eBay conman.

However it is frustrating that PCGS still won't list why it's "Genuine" and not graded. "PCGS Genuine - Artificial Toning" would be MUCH better.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At $4,999.99 you would think he could throw in free shipping. Instead he wants $52.43. This guy is bad news on a lot of levels.
  • Options

<< <i>However it is frustrating that PCGS still won't list why it's "Genuine" and not graded. "PCGS Genuine - Artificial Toning" would be MUCH better. >>

It would be better, but it would still turn up these problem coins when you search for "PCGS."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file