Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here is a lovely 1890 liberty head nickel (black NGC slab) The assigned grade? ANSWER PR63 - receiv

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
Note that what appears to be scratches around the date is really toning. Also the "spot" in the date is also toning.

Grade?
This coin is a PR63.

Did this coin/slab pass the CAC test?
Yes- it received a gold sticker

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just changed to 63

Personally I would grade it 64

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof 61 or 62.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin. PF 65 CAM.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The blacks slabs sure look better than the white.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the back of the slab...who cares about the dang coin! image

Wow...I thought you picked up another one! I hold my "you really, really suck" for your next NGC black slab.

Do you know why it is not for sale...other than because of the slab?

As to the grade...how about XXXX (although it would be nice to see it in hand)?

Lane

Edited ... because I peeked!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.......PF-63 then, PF-65 now.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I believe this is a coin from a Bowers and Merena auction in Baltimore from the summer of this year. I know what the grade on the holder is, but in terms of actual grade I think the coin would grade PR65 if submitted for grading now.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    P69CAM. Very nice but out of my collectinginterest, so I do not know much about the series.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PF64...
  • Options
    pr66 then, 67 now.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof 64 Cam.

I have a dream . . . I am working in a B & M shop and have answered my 17th "1943 copper Lincoln" question of the day, broken 3 elderly ladies hearts who bought their "retirement" off the shopping networks and felt it was time to sell, and chased off 2 Franklin Mint sellers who refused to believe they had anything other than bullion.

Now . . it's 4:45pm. A middle aged guy walks in carrying a small daypack. He shuffles up to the counter and pulls out an old NGC box. He says, "I've got a few old slabs I've had around for a while. I know they're not really keys, but thought I'd see what I could do out of them if you don't mind."

I say, "Sure . . . let's see what you have."

He takes the lid off and I see 10-11 Black NGC slabs without so much as a hairline on the plastic. Semi keys . . . a 1914-S Lincoln in AU53 . . . a 1910 Barber dime in 62 . . . and am 1868 Shield nickel in XF45. The remaining 9-10 are PCGS. I look closer and see they are "Doilies", consecutively numbered. Nice collector coins, but nothing out of the shops price range.

Ohhhh . . . . . dreams . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice image

PF64 when slabbed ... if so then gold sticker worthy today

that's my WAG, and I'm sticking with it image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>Proof 64 Cam.

I have a dream . . . I am working in a B & M shop and have answered my 17th "1943 copper Lincoln" question of the day, broken 3 elderly ladies hearts who bought their "retirement" off the shopping networks and felt it was time to sell, and chased off 2 Franklin Mint sellers who refused to believe they had anything other than bullion.

Now . . it's 4:45pm. A middle aged guy walks in carrying a small daypack. He shuffles up to the counter and pulls out an old NGC box. He says, "I've got a few old slabs I've had around for a while. I know they're not really keys, but thought I'd see what I could do out of them if you don't mind."

I say, "Sure . . . let's see what you have."

He takes the lid off and I see 10-11 Black NGC slabs without so much as a hairline on the plastic. Semi keys . . . a 1914-S Lincoln in AU53 . . . a 1910 Barber dime in 62 . . . and am 1868 Shield nickel in XF45. The remaining 9-10 are PCGS. I look closer and see they are "Doilies", consecutively numbered. Nice collector coins, but nothing out of the shops price range.

Ohhhh . . . . . dreams . . .

Drunner >>

Keep dreaming image

Although a dealer friend of mine did have someone walk in and sell him a proof Morgan collection (12-15 pieces, I don't remembder the exact number) that were all fresh PCGS rattlers. Most of them upgraded one or two points.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe this is a coin from a Bowers and Merena auction in Baltimore from the summer of this year. I know what the grade on the holder is, but in terms of actual grade I think the coin would grade PR65 if submitted for grading now. >>

Yes, it was from the Bowers and Merena auction.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why ruin a very rare, valuable and highly collectable slab with a sticker?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Why ruin a very rare, valuable and highly collectable slab with a sticker? >>

Perryhall: This is what this slab looks like AFTER it was gold stickered. Do you see the sticker and does it looked ruined to you? The purists say all slabs are ruined because you see the grade on the slab when you look at the obverse of the coin. Here you see nothing at all.

Once again, how is this slab ruined?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why ruin a very rare, valuable and highly collectable slab with a sticker? >>

Perryhall: This is what this slab looks like AFTER it was gold stickered. Do you see the sticker and does it looked ruined to you? The purists say all slabs are ruined because you see the grade on the slab when you look at the obverse of the coin. Here you see nothing at all.

Once again, how is this slab ruined? >>

I'm confused. If it was "gold stickered" then where is the gold sticker? Did you remove it? My concern is the adhesive on the sticker may react with the plastic over a long period of time. Nice coin and very nice slab by the way.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Perry: You stated:

<< <i> I'm confused. If it was "gold stickered" then where is the gold sticker? Did you remove it? My concern is the adhesive on the sticker may react with the plastic over a long period of time. Nice coin and very nice slab by the way. >>

Ahhh.... the magic of the old slabs. The front is the back of the slab. The reverse is the front of the slab. Or is the front really the reverse?
    Endless permutations of possibilities! LOL.

The grade and gold sticker are shown on the same side as the REVERSE of the coin. Now that is magical in itself. image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe this is a coin from a Bowers and Merena auction in Baltimore from the summer of this year. I know what the grade on the holder is, but in terms of actual grade I think the coin would grade PR65 if submitted for grading now. >>

No f***ing way. The coin has unattractive toning and hideous haze. It might make a 4 if the graders are having a bad day; I think it's properly graded. If Albanese & crew disagree with me so be it; I don't like the coin. I know what a PF 5 or 6 should look like, and it should have far more eye appeal than this coin has.

If you think this should grade PR 5, I think you need to see a lot more of them before buying one of them. I am sorry if this sounds overly harsh, but I sincerely believe it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think that the presence of a gold sticker will increase the chances of this slab being cracked and the coin regraded?

Or is the sticker irrelevant?

I'm not necessarily talking about the current owner; i'm talking about the future of this coin/slab combo as it passes through other folks hands (assuming it does).

I ask because it seems sort of 'cool' to preserve these old slabs.
    Yet, if the coin is generally considered undergraded because of the tighter standards back then, isn't that a pressure to crack it out and submit?

Does the gold sticker alter the "crack it out" equation in this case?

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get this black slab attraction, but, then again, many of you don't get what I dig. I guess that's what makes the coin world go 'round...
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

No f***ing way. The coin has unattractive toning and hideous haze. It might make a 4 if the graders are having a bad day; I think it's properly graded. If Albanese & crew disagree with me so be it; I don't like the coin. I know what a PF 5 or 6 should look like, and it should have far more eye appeal than this coin has.

If you think this should grade PR 5, I think you need to see a lot more of them before buying one of them. I am sorry if this sounds overly harsh, but I sincerely believe it. >>

Disagree if you may, but after examining and making notes on the coin I stand by my opinion that the coin should grade PR65. I believe my grading abilities are sufficient when it comes to Liberty Nickels. I buy and sell a lot of them every month and I submit more Liberty Nickels for grading than any other classic proof denomination.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy and sell a lot of them every month and I submit more Liberty Nickels for grading than any other classic proof denomination.

You have my deepest sympathy. image

(I have purchased a single Liberty nickel in the last seven years and never look at them, but the patch of hairlines by the date would concern me for a gem.)
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wei, I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you. If that's a 5, my 05 PF in PC 6 is a 70, and it has a small carbon spot in Miss Liberty's hair.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    All the gold sticker does is say that they felt the coin was at least a solid 64. Anymore is a bonus.

That will be left for the next 3rd opinion company 20 years from now? By then, they will use laser beams?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, on a desireable black NGC slab the CAC sticker is relatively meaningless and most anyone would automatically expect such a coin to upgrade....hopefully 2 points if it were a PQ coin when first graded. The coin is worth many multiples of PF64 or PF65 money. Fwiw I don't see why it couldn't meet 65 levels today...which to me falls short of true gem condition anyways. A true gem coin today is really on the order of 65.8 to 66.4 (my 2 cents). It's the same gem coin standard that got it back in 1986-1990.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of these black NGC slabs are left?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I would estimate between 85 and 200 black slabs are left.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file