Home Precious Metals
Options

cleaning silver bars

Would it be bad to clean a silver bar? I know its bad for coins but silver is silver. i have some that are not the prettiest and would like to clean them up, wonder if nail polish remover would work as that's all I have at the moment. Looks like its mainly acetone. Just don't want them to cloud up even more.
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    Warm soap and water followed by a tarnex dip then a good rinse in distilled water works very well. Did you get your order yet by the way? One member got his today, and they all went out on Friday.
  • Options
    Yes I did actually, thanks. They looked very nice. I Tried NPR on a generic bar, didn't seem to help. I'll try what you suggested.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    here are some of the bars. I bought them over the phone without seeing them. Didn't think to ask the condition as I got them for a good price. I don't recall seeing bars in such bad condition before. I know they are just bullion but I collect silver bars like some collect coins and like them to be nice to look at.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it might be bad if you cleaned a more collectible bar like older engelhards than regular bars. Those look like they need a nice cleaning!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Bullion is bullion.

I use a weak solution of EZ-est to remove tarnish.

Melts off like butter against a hot knife. Quick and easy.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Not all bullion is created equalimage
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Not all bullion is created equalimage >>

Perhaps, but there is no penalty for a cleaned bar. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Why go to all that trouble when the solution I provided takes only seconds?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    I do plan to try your suggestion as these bars are simply bullion. Where might I found that solution? Ebay?
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Warm soap and water followed by a tarnex dip then a good rinse in distilled water works very well. Did you get your order yet by the way? One member got his today, and they all went out on Friday. >>

hey, Just noticed you were the one who outbid me on 10 Gram .999 Silver Bar by Refinemet on eBay! #(%&Y@& lol
    Its all relative
  • Options
    EZ-est is available everywhere. It's simply a coin dip for cleaning, not that anyone would do that. image

No need to dip the bars or rounds, just dip a paper towel in it and rub off your ugly spots.

You can find it online or at most any B&M shop. I've bought mine online as it's cheaper.

Thin it down to a weaker solution, perhaps a 1 to 3 ratio or even less.

A container of it will last years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Warm soap and water followed by a tarnex dip then a good rinse in distilled water works very well. Did you get your order yet by the way? One member got his today, and they all went out on Friday. >>

hey, Just noticed you were the one who outbid me on 10 Gram .999 Silver Bar by Refinemet on eBay! #(%&Y@& lol >>

The only one of its kind I have ever seen. Its a beauty too!image
  • Options

<< <i>EZ-est is available everywhere. It's simply a coin dip for cleaning, not that anyone would do that. image

No need to dip the bars or rounds, just dip a paper towel in it and rub off your ugly spots.

You can find it online or at most any B&M shop. I've bought mine online as it's cheaper.

Thin it down to a weaker solution, perhaps a 1 to 3 ratio or even less.

A container of it will last years. >>

Got this today and it worked great although it didn't remove the spots completely they look 100 times better. I only dipped them for a few seconds, Didn't want to give them a matte finish lol.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Uhh, why clean them?
    Seriously, I can't think of one good reason except too much time on your hands.

You can do me a favor. I always wanted to know this, but never tried it on my coins.
    Let's say a 1.0000000 oz. silver bar.
    How much weight is lost when you clean them?

Thanks in advance.
    Fastrudy™
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    I like them shiney and they'll sell better that way. I may have too much time as well. I do not have a scale which measures in weights of .01 grains so I couldn't answer your question.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I see an old bar that's really shiney, my first thought is that someone may have tampered with the bar and shined it up to hide any evidence of the tampering.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Who cares if its cleaned, Its bullion, Not a collector coin.
    Its all relative