Home Sports Talk
Options

Brett Favre - Most Overrated QB in NFL history?

Comments

• Options
    Well he did win a Super Bowl, but yes he is.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    he is good for his age. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, 3-time MVP, he's overrated, LOL...

Don't judge his career by his stint with the Jets..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    As many years leading the NFL in INT's as MVP awards. 1 Super Bowl that he can thank Desmond Howard and Reggie White for. He's the most overrated player in NFL history, hands down.

Oh, FYI, up to the minute - 310 career INT's - the NFL all time leader
  • Options
    I'm not sure about this overrated stuff, but he is definitely one of the best QBs of his era, and definitely in the top 10-12 all time. You must not understand much about football if you don't think he is one of all the all time greats.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Well he did win a Super Bowl, but yes he is. >>

So did Trent Dilfer LOL.
  • Options
    most INTs = overrated??? not following this logic.

most TDS, yardage, multiple MVPs, super bowls, on the verge of taking jets to the playoffs, etc.... = great player.

not sure i agree as most overrated player ever.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    The dude is the Nolan Ryan of football. People love him because he has some impressive stats (all time yardage leader etc) but like Ryan (most walks in MLB history to go along with most strikeouts), I could name plenty of people that I would take to start a meaningful game before Brett Favre.
  • Options
    sure, i can think of many in the game "today". but in his prime, he was the man.

in comparison to ryan, when you stay in the league that long, you are going to lead the league in several things, some of which you may not be proud of. other than INTs, what other "negative" category does he lead?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Oh, FYI, up to the minute - 310 career INT's - the NFL all time leader

You conveniently forgot to mention that his up to the minute career total for TDs also: 465..

• Options
    465/310 - i'd take that ratio.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>sure, i can think of many in the game "today". but in his prime, he was the man.

in comparison to ryan, when you stay in the league that long, you are going to lead the league in several things, some of which you may not be proud of. other than INTs, what other "negative" category does he lead? >>

2nd (by 4) to Warren Moon in Fumbles
  • Options
    ok

fumbles, ints

not a very convincing 'overrated' argument.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Cy Young sure had a lot of losses, too...

And Reggie Jackson struck out a lot...

• Options
    My vote for most overrated QB is Tony Romo...

• Options
    Just FYI: Favre's contemporary "great QB's" from his prime. Which of these 4 guys would you not start over Favre in a big game?

Playoff Record:
    Tom Brady: 14-3
    Troy Aikman: 12-5
    Steve Young: 12-8
    John Elway: 14-8

and finally (and I'm not claiming this is terrible)
    Brett Favre: 12-10
  • Options
    Well, if you're going to judge by postseason records, you must think that Dan Marino really sucks then..

• Options

<< <i>Well, if you're going to judge by postseason records, you must think that Dan Marino really sucks then.. >>

Wasn't a big Marino fan, but his career started in 1983 so I don't really count him amongst Favre's peers in their primes.
  • Options
    by your numbers, it looks like favre has been in 22 playoff games. what is the QB record for this?

to answer your question, from the ones you listed i would start favre over aikman. sorry LMM.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Aikman wins ZERO Super Bowls without Emmitt or Irvin..

• Options
    grote, i'm going to jump on the "romo for MOST overrated" bandwagon.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    grote, i'm going to jump on the "romo for overrated" bandwagon.

Welcome aboard, the wagon is filling up quick...image

• Options
    he is surrounded by talent on this team and they are not even going to the playoffs. ouch!!!!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Make that 311 INT's for Brett Favre.
  • Options
    Make that 311 INT's for Brett Favre.

I realize that you are a frustrated Jets fan (I am also), but his one-way ticket to Canton was punched long before this season..

• Options

<< <i> Make that 311 INT's for Brett Favre.

I realize that you are a frustrated Jets fan (I am also), but his one-way ticket to Canton was punched long before this season.. >>

Patriots fan actually image
  • Options
    < Make that 311 INT's for Brett Favre.

I realize that you are a frustrated Jets fan (I am also), but his one-way ticket to Canton was punched long before this season.. >>

Patriots fan actually

My condolences, then..you're the first team since 1985 to win 11 games and not make the playoffs...and you have Brett to thank!

• Options
    I agree with Mike. A lot of Favre's positive stats came from longevity and durability, not pure talent. The 90's Packers were very similar to the 90s Atlanta Braves, most talented teams in the league each year but nothing in the playoffs with the exception of one year.
  • Options
    Maybe Hoopster can come on here and break it all down...

The guy has thrown 465 TDs in his career, and won the MVP award THREE times...sheesh...

Hank Aaron would never have gotten to 755 homers either if he hadn't played 23 season either..

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Vito, Farve is way overrated.....Romo and Warner aren't very far behind.

Fitting end to Farve's career...3 INT's, one for a TD.
  • Options
    Fitting end to Farve's career...3 INT's, one for a TD.

Willie Mays and Mickey mantle had rough last seasons, too..

While Favre certainly threw his share of picks, his career TD to INT ratio of 465 to 311 is actually quite impressive when you compare it to other great QBs of the last 20 years or so.

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Farve is the most over rated player ever to play football. I have said it before, and I will say it again. He should of retired years ago. He is just embarrasing himself now!
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Favre put up big numbers, but for my money, I'll go with Johnny Unitas as #1 QB in history.
    Capecards
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........Wasn't a big Marino fan, but his career started in 1983 so I don't really count him amongst Favre's peers in their primes. >>

But you used Elway who started at the same time as Marino. Obviously because he supported your statement better.
  • Options
    I would have to go with Peyton Manning aS the greatest qb ever
  • Options
    I would have to go with Peyton Manning aS the greatest qb ever

Gee, I'd never have guessed that, I mean with your sigline and all...image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>........Wasn't a big Marino fan, but his career started in 1983 so I don't really count him amongst Favre's peers in their primes. >>

But you used Elway who started at the same time as Marino. Obviously because he supported your statement better. >>

Actually, it's funny that you say that Nick...I didn't intend to. I guess because Elway won 2 SB's after Favre won his that's why I thought that. I apologize for that. You're correct for calling out using Elway.
  • Options
    Favre's career TD to INT ratio is better than both Elway's and Aikman's.

• Options

<< <i>Aikman wins ZERO Super Bowls without Emmitt or Irvin.. >>

Favre wins 0 w/o Reggie White and Desmond Howard

Elway wins 0 w/o Terrell Davis

You can go on forever with those scenarios
  • Options
    Aikman wins ZERO Super Bowls without Emmitt or Irvin.. >>

I agree. That's why I found it odd that you'd use postseason records as a gauge of a QB's ability.

• Options

I agree. That's why I found it odd that you'd use postseason records as a gauge of a QB's ability. >>

I listed those records for reference. I was just asking of those guys plus Peyton Manning, would you take Favre to start a game over any of them?
  • Options
    If the team is the same for all 4 QBs, I'd definitely take Favre in his prime over Aikman or Elway.

• Options

<< <i>

I agree. That's why I found it odd that you'd use postseason records as a gauge of a QB's ability. >>

I listed those records for reference. I was just asking of those guys plus Peyton Manning, would you take Favre to start a game over any of them? >>

Definitly not, Farve is not even close to Peyton Manning. I would put farve right now with Tony Romo
  • Options
    I would put farve right now with Tony Romo

You're saying with a straight face that Favre's career is equal to Romo's?? image

• Options
    He is probably the toughest QB I've ever seen play. He also has had some great years and a very impressive career. He is also the biggest drama queen of a QB I've ever witnessed. Not in the way TO does it but in his own certain way. He is clearly a Top 20 and probably Top 15 all time QB, which is saying a lot. I wouldn't put him in my Top 10 but certainly there are many that would. His style of play is way too erratic and inconsistent for my taste, or IMO one conducive to maximizing a team's chance of winning.

Exceptional post, and 100% accurate. Finally!

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    The most overrated player ever is Joe Namath. We can argue about whose second, but someone like Lynn Swann should probably get more attention than Brett Favre.
  • Options
    +1 for Broadway Joe...though as a Jets fan, I must state that he will always occupy a lofty place in New York football lore.

• Options
    There is one question I would ask the poster and that is.....

Where exactly do you rank him to begin with? I am assuming you are ranking him somewhere from 8th - 20th all time(If not, then there is no point to even further the discussion as we are dealing with somebody chemically imbalanced).

If my assumption is correct in your ranking of him, then even if somebody ranked him as the best of all time, then is being TEN spots off of your ranking really that far off? But the reality is that only very few people say he is #1, and most agree somewhere in the top ten. Now unless you think he is 100th best, then I don't see the overrated beef.

Favre is not as good as he used to be. How many guys are after playing this many seasons? In his prime, when he was much more mobile, he was second fiddle to nobody.

• Options

<< <i>unlike Montana or Elway or Brady or Manning, Brett Favre has A LOT of critics. >>

First...Elway had TONS of critics until he won 2 SBs.

Second, when you win 2 or more Super Bowls, it's ok to be exempted from criticism.

Third, Favre is nowhere near a Top 10 QB of all time. The REASON he's overrated is because people would dare to put him on that list in the first place. If you told me he was a top 30 QB of all time, I wouldn't say he was overrated.

Fourth, Favre won the same amount of Super Bowls as Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler (and to be fair, Steve Young and Peyton Manning).

I certainly put Favre behind Joe Montana, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr at the very least, and can definitely name 7-10 more guys that I'd rather have start a game for me (Young and Manning would definitely be on that list). Anyone that would take him over any of those 12 is seriously overrating him.
  • Options

<< <i>I would put farve right now with Tony Romo

You're saying with a straight face that Favre's career is equal to Romo's?? image >>

With this season yeah.

Farve has also thrown the most INTs in NFL history. He is not smart. Peyton Manning knows when he is in trouble throw the ball away, unlike Farve who just throws it and hopes someboby catchs it