Home Precious Metals

What would a US Assay 10 0z San Fran....

Be worth these days? 1981 Silver. Thanks, jws

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold or silver?image
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Oops, that would make quite a differenceimage; it's silver. jws
    If it is exactly ten ounces, then it is probably a privately made bar. Read the inscription carefully. There was one refiner that sold bars as containing silver formerly held in the U.S. Assay Office in San Francisco. They are worth about $1 an ounce over spot in this market.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Thanks Capt. it is a bar containing silver formerely held in the US Assay office in San Fran. Not what I was looking for. You just saved me some bucks. Take Care, jws
    You are welcome!

• << <i>If it is exactly ten ounces, then it is probably a privately made bar. Read the inscription carefully. There was one refiner that sold bars as containing silver formerly held in the U.S. Assay Office in San Francisco. They are worth about $1 an ounce over spot in this market.
    TD >>

I'd like to buy 10 of them at your valuation Tom, do you have them in stock by chance?image

<< <i>

<< <i>If it is exactly ten ounces, then it is probably a privately made bar. Read the inscription carefully. There was one refiner that sold bars as containing silver formerly held in the U.S. Assay Office in San Francisco. They are worth about $1 an ounce over spot in this market.
    TD >>

I'd like to buy 10 of them at your valuation Tom, do you have them in stock by chance?image >>

That is what we would pay. He asked what it would be worth. An item is worth what you can get for it, not the price you have to pay for it.
    I bought my car new two years ago. It is now worth less.
    What are your bars "worth?"
    TD
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are constantly on eBay, several right now in fact. The recent sales show them mostly selling in the $140-$150 range with one fluke bar getting bid (bidiots) up to $170ish.
    I'm curious as to what the real deal would cost and where you could find one.

Wasn't it you Gladiator that was looking for one. Did you ever find it? Thanks, JWS
    I've got a roll of the 1oz rounds. No bars yet but I may add a couple. They have 1oz, 5oz and 10oz bars and all are readily available on eBay.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>If it is exactly ten ounces, then it is probably a privately made bar. Read the inscription carefully. There was one refiner that sold bars as containing silver formerly held in the U.S. Assay Office in San Francisco. They are worth about $1 an ounce over spot in this market.
    TD >>

I'd like to buy 10 of them at your valuation Tom, do you have them in stock by chance?image >>

That is what we would pay. He asked what it would be worth. An item is worth what you can get for it, not the price you have to pay for it.
    I bought my car new two years ago. It is now worth less.
    What are your bars "worth?"
    TD >>

Correct Tom, and that bar is "worth" about $3-$4 per oz above spot, because that is what he could get for it. So the term "worth" here is the problem. A more precise reply would have been that you would buy it at $1 an oz over. However, its "worth" is substantially higher.

Edited to add: MY bars are "worth" around $1 per gram because I have sold 45 of them at that price. They "contain" about 36 cents of silver in them per gram of bar however.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    like cladiator said, they are selling for 3-4 over spot easily on ebay.

If they are worth only 1 over spot, I'd love to buy a bunch at that price.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
    This is easily clarified.

To Tom, they are worth $1 per ounce over spot. Likely because he'd be buying to sell.
    To eBay bidders, they are worth $3-$5 per ounce over spot. Likely because they are buying to keep and hold.
    To me, they are worth $0 per ounce over spot. Because I have no need/want for them.

<< <i>These are constantly on eBay, several right now in fact. The recent sales show them mostly selling in the $140-$150 range with one fluke bar getting bid (bidiots) up to $170ish. >>

I wonder how many people think, as the original poster did for a while, that this is an official government issued bullion bar? There was one sale recently closed that said that the bar has been kept in a U.S. Mint bag, which gave it its nice toning. Not deceptive advertising, but perhaps confusing to some people.

Also, and I'm just curious on a different topic, what are the ebay and paypal fees to the seller of a bar at, let's say, $150?
    Further curiosity: on average, how long after the day an item is listed are the funds received?
    What percentage of sales funds are never received, or received but charged back?
    On average, does the spot price go up or down after the item is listed?
    What is the relative "worth" of a bird in the hand, vs. the "worth" of two birds in the bush?
    What is "worth?"
    TD

• << <i>

Also, and I'm just curious on a different topic, what are the ebay and paypal fees to the seller of a bar at, let's say, $150? ---
    Figure approximately 10% between ebay and paypal, so net down to $135.00

Further curiosity: on average, how long after the day an item is listed are the funds received?
    Bullion is probably best as a one day or three day auction in my opinion, and is usually funded either the day the auction ends or the next day in most cases (98% or more of my auctions would fall into this category)

What percentage of sales funds are never received, or received but charged back?
    Less than 1% in my case. I have never had a chargeback.

On average, does the spot price go up or down after the item is listed?
    With a three day auction, I have generally not found this made any difference in the physical market on ebay.

What is the relative "worth" of a bird in the hand, vs. the "worth" of two birds in the bush?
    Depends on how big of a net you have to catch the two in the bush. image

What is "worth?"
    Depends on who you are. image
    TD >>

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • I have one for sale lol.
    Its all relative
    I scoped out Ebay and was unable to locate the real deal. Granted I am Ebay challenged.

"I wonder how many people think, as the original poster did for a while, that this is an official government issued bullion bar?" Capt.

I do think many are getting duped as I almost did. I'm still looking but now I know what to look for. Thanks again Capt. jws

<< <i>I scoped out Ebay and was unable to locate the real deal. Granted I am Ebay challenged. >>

Here's one; LINK

Cars, how much is yours?
    Thanks Gladiator. jws