Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

XMas 2008: Good food gifts thread... Revisited

I need to send three gifts to people who have everything. $50 to $100 - food related. I would prefer something ready to heat & eat - I have sent the usual Chicago stuff out before, but am looking for a good place that ships their signature item that is off the beaten track a little.

I have dredged through amazon and a few other sites - really want to get something kick a$$ from someplace that somebody frequents and can vouch for.

For instance, I think the best ribs in Chicago are from Smoque (but they don't ship). Anybody got a great place that ships? Doesn't have to be ribs. Could be any spectacular item. The recipients are in New England, so chowder/lobster/fish cakes probably don't work (they can get that there).

Anybody?
Mike
Bosox1976

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Does beer count?

Great Lakes Brewing Company
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't really help but an unidentified person sent my family this (it arrived last night)

Good eatin' and and an incredible gesture on whoever did this. image
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    If females are involved, Sprinkles cupcakes are your friend.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Try Dreamland Ribs in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. They ship anywhere in the US. Dreamland is located in the home of the Alabama Crimson Tide.

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/

Kirk
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    xmas ham ^ stuffed turkey.

RIP GURU
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't really help but an unidentified person sent my family this (it arrived last night)........ >>

Clearly it was Bill making up for your lost contest prize. image
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Mike, My wife is a big cook and worked for one of our leading catering businesses out here for some time and she was always very happy with the food she had ordered from Ohama Steaks. Their stuff still has to be cooked, but they do have ready meals, great service and they ship very responsibly.

When my wife gets up, I'll ask her who already has pre-cooked meals too.

Here is a link to Omaha Steaks gifts under $100 page and it looks like they are doing some great specials, linky
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Dang, I see Barfvader was posting when I did and he just got me....But you can see how nice Omaha Steaks ships...

Me my wife ordered from them every month for a few years up til this year, but we were extremely happy.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I know you mentioned that you've done all the Chicago stuff, but you simply can't beat Gino's East Pizzeria, they ship them out on dry ice (and if your recipient has dents in their car, they can use the dry use to "pop" them out), and have next day delivery. I just bought myself a shipment of 6 for my birthday a couple months ago.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allan Brothers Steaks

Lobstergram

Shane

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    1963 Fleer packs have a cookie. image

kindly request that they return the sharp and centered disposable cardboard cookie protectors.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I've received stuff from here and it was great. Their steakburgers are fantastic.

Kansas City

This item

OR

This one.

If you choose the first link be sure to add a few steakburgers on there too.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    Fruitcake wrapped with $50 worth of lottery tickets. They laugh at the fruitcake and enjoy the lottery tickets!
  • Mike

If they live near Fenway .. a day at the ballpark ... with the "all you can eat" ticket. This should make your day if you play host and go with them. Buy the tickets now - send them.

A perfect gift.

cheers

Chuck

LINK

edit - link added
  • uyu906uyu906 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Looking to trade for, or purchase, raw or graded vintage for my baseball sets: 1927 York Caramel, 1951 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1967-1979.
    http://richsbaseball.webs.com
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Jelly of the month club. It's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year thru.
  • The best bar-b-que in Texas...

Angelo's - Ft. Worth

The best fruitcakes in America (if that's not your cup of tea, all of their baked goods are excellent)...

Collin Street Bakery
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    My wife is an Australian, here's what she would recommend

gift basket for blokes

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Good morning, Mike

Give this site a try, they always have great stuff and usual have some type of bonus offers as well... good luck and Merry Christmas!

Mike

Home Bistro
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Call Murray's cheese shop in downtown Manhattan-- they can send an assortment of amazing stuff and pair it with a great red wine.

Call Junior's in downtown Brooklyn and send someone the most famous cheesecake in the world.

Or also Joe's stone crabs in South Beach for their Key Lime pie.

On the Upper East side of Manhattan there is a meat place called Lobell's which torches Omaha steaks.
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    I will second the the Dreamland Ribs. Kirk knows what he's talking about!

• jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Nevermind. Didn't read the whole thread
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    GanderMountain - Shippensburg PA

sells fish fryers...

Good for cooking fish, chciken wings and french fries...

forget the fish...wings and fries...yum yum

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • HI , Do all your gourmet shipping with this Gift network site, all in one place from liquor to steaks to fish salmon steaks to cookies or a gift . You can even customize your own gift basket (hey Yogi ). Since I am A Munson fan please pick something from my link , I would appreciate it the most. Have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Gift Network
    640K ought to be enough for anyone.
    -Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I know you said you have sent the Chicago stuff before but a old favorite is Malnotti's pizza. They will ship a Chicago pack ( I think thats what they call it) with their pizza, vienna beef dogs, Eli's cheesecake and more Chicago favorites. This is all packed in dry ice and I have found that this gift is well appreciated.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Lobster works for me! (Most folks do not want to deal withy the mess! so a $100 gift card from Red Lobster should work, no matter how "well off" these folks are, they will remember a $100 meal at Red Lobster!!!)

(some like it delivered or just send them a gift card!)

TRY: RED LOBSTER ONLINE

rd

imageimage

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Richard's Steak Sandwiches in Hamilton, OH will ship anywhere in the world around the holidays and I can tell you they are well worth it. Best tasting steak sandwiches you will ever eat. I will try and find you a link, but you can just Google Richards and find the website.

Richards Steak Sandwiches
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Grass-fed premium steaks - http://www.lacensebeef.com/catalog/premium-steaks

Grass-fed beef has almost as much omega-3 fatty acid as fish, best tasting and great for health

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can send you a yule log >>

Not that you have a log??

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Mike, if you're a Red Sox fan, you must know the best desert place in Boston - Mike's Pastry...and they now do online ordering and worldwide shipping. You can send awesome cannolis etc. anywhere you like. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Mike's Pastry

Second in Los Angeles, there exists a cookie shop that makes easily the best cookies that I have ever tasted. They are simply amazing. It'scalled Deluscious

Deluscious Cookies

Best of luck!!
  • Live Lobsters ... Lobster Gram

Great Gift
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Find someone who makes really good FLAN...one of the best desserts on the planet!
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    send jars of bugs, people like that in a surprise image

especially in its in laws ya cant stand
  • I'm with thenavarro, Gino's is fantastic.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my idea. Don't send perishable foods like steak through the mail.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Yummy Link

I got stuck in Baltimore a couple of months on work a few years ago and everyone told me to go to G & M for crab cakes. OMG they are soooo good.
    They do a good job on their mail order business. This place is the real deal. The lines there at lunch time are huge everyday. image
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I would recomend Christopher Elbow gormet chocolates. They look amazing and he has some very interesting (and good) flavors.

elbowchocolates.com

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno why - But sending food thru the mail never appealed to me. I think a better idea would be to search for a good restaurant in their local area, and have them send a gift certificate so they can enjoy a night out - or some restaurants such as Outback Steakhouse have takeout if that is preferred.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I need to send three gifts to people who have everything. $50 to $100 - food related. Anybody? >>

Mike ... here are a few NEW YORK suggestions ... Hope it helps:

Barney Greengrass
    For over 100 years, Barney Greengrass has been pleasing diners on the Upper West Side with their delicious breakfast and delicatessen offerings. They'll ship smoked fish, caviar, matzo ball soup and more overnight to ensure it reaches you fresh.
    BarneyGreengrass.com

Guss's Pickles
    Want to wow someone who loves pickles? Ship them a gallon bucket of Guss's top notch pickles, tomatoes, sauerkraut, or peppers for $46-59, depending on location.
    GussPickle.com

Veniero's
    Delicious Italian pastries, including cannoli, cheesecakes, biscotti and cookie trays are available for delivery in the U.S. from Veniero's, which has been making desserts since 1894.
    VenierosPastry.com

STAY HEALTHY!
    Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Try Dreamland Ribs in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. They ship anywhere in the US. Dreamland is located in the home of the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Kirk >>

Just make sure it's the one in Tuscaloosa...the one in ATL sucks.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Give em a case of the South's number one candy.....Goo Goo Clusters
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    All i know is thats some good steaks!!! Start Grilling
    1964 Topps Football
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    go shoot a deer and say, " here ya go" you lucky dog youimage
  • BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    I agree with rube. Only 2 days being back from IRAQ and I shot a deer and had chili the next day with it.............not a bad idea
    1964 Topps Football
  • downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    Portillo's

their RIBS have won awards...

PORTILLO's
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I've had great responses from people when I've sent these chocolate covered strawberries. The strawberries are huge and delicious and the chocolate is yummy:

Shari's Berries
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

www.wolfermans.com